Thread: Interview with B. Schottenheimer

Interview with B. Schottenheimer

A nice read...

[QUOTE]Brought to you by the Jets PR staff, here’s Brian Schottenheimer’s transcript from Monday:
    [B]On separating a scuffle today at practice…[/B]

I had to separate one (scuffle) today and I don’t usually do that. I was just waiting to catch a haymaker, but I didn’t (laughter). It was Stanley (Daniels) and Sione (Pouha) were kind of getting separated and Leon (Washington) was there. Leon and I probably looked out of place. I was trying to pull them apart. I wasn’t trying to get in-between them (laughing). I usually use much better judgement than that so I gave myself a mental error on the grade sheet (laughter).

[B]On plan for reps for quarterbacks Kellen Clemens and Mark Sanchez on the first team…[/B]

What we’re doing right now obviously is Kellen is getting the majority of the work with the ones. Mark gets most of the work with the twos. We allow them to look at most of the scripts before and really steal a couple plays from each period. That’s just set up so that we can balance the reps and we get some consistency going. There are different things that come up, with cadences and stuff like that. So, just early in camp, that’s the way we’re going to approach it. It’s kind of fun to watch those two guys. They’ll say, “Hey, no I want this one.” So, they’ll look at the script to see a play that they think is good and they will wait to the last second and say, “No, hey I got this one.” It adds a little bit of fuel to the fire, but it’s been good so far.
    On timetable for getting Sanchez more time with the ones…
    Well, I think that’s something we definitely want to do. We’re not going to put a timetable on it. We’re just a couple of practices in. A big part of it, like any rookie or player, is that you’ve got to earn those reps. So as Mark continues to get more comfortable and continues to grow which he’s doing, we’ll make sure we give him some more work.

[B]On giving Sanchez some time with the ones yesterday…[/B]

That was the idea with him being able to take some of Kellen’s reps. Again, that’s just part of the deal. We didn’t do it the first couple of days, the first couple of practices. We implemented it the other day. That was really the idea. Then of course, the two-minute yesterday we had the fumble on the throw to David Clowney so I let him take the last rep with the threes.
    On Clemens throwing interceptions after long drives down the field…
    Well, again a couple of his errors when you look at his interceptions have been ill-advised throws and then the one that we got today was tipped. Bart (Scott) made a great play. I saw some of Rex’s (Ryan) comments about Darrelle (Revis). I mean, Darrelle is a great player and when you throw the ball to his side, you’ve got to be more careful. The one today got tipped. That’s why we practice. I like the way the offense is moving the ball up and down the field. A couple of times we’ve faltered going into the red zone but that will come. The whole offense is built on protecting the football (and) we want to do that , but at this point there’s no cause for concern in my opinion.

[B]On what he’s looking for during the Green & White scrimmage on Thursday…[/B]

We always want great tempo, but obviously thud is different than live. The big thing from the quarterback standpoint is the ability to stand in there (pocket), stay comfortable and the ability to move around - obviously up front and then the back end pass protection part of it. Our guys do so many things on defense that a lot of times we see who’s coming, but you’ve got to go across the formation or something to get it. It really does kind of separate guys that understand the concept and can react. If you think slow when it’s a kind of live situation, it will show up on film.

[B]On area Sanchez has made most progress in and what he needs to work on…[/B]

I think with his reads. He’s really comfortable with his reads. The big thing with him is that we do a lot of things that we call ‘combination footwork’ and that’s just depending on what the read is, he’s got to adjust his feet. There are still some times he’ll take seven steps when he’s supposed to take five. So therefore, he’s a little bit late but he’s really picked up the reads really well. Then obviously with the running game, that’s a little bit new for him. Some of the things we’ve asked him to do in the running game about assessing things and making some changes. So that’s something that he needs to work on.

[B]On Sanchez’s indecisiveness at practice today…
    [/B]
    A couple of them were really good coverage plays. Our defense plays a lot of two-man. On a couple of them, there wasn’t anyone open. One time he worked one side and he was supposed to be working the other side. But again, that’s part of the deal. Our defense does a good job of disguising and the more comfortable he gets, the better he gets with using his cadence will help him get a tip of what he’s getting so that he can anticipate things a little clearer.

[B]On wide receivers…[/B]

I like our guys. I believe Jerricho (Cotchery) is the number one. I think I’ve said that many times (because) he’s a guy that’s had the type of catches that he has, the production that he’s had the last couple of years. (As far as) the guys we have competing for those next couple spots, (Chansi) Stuckey showed up a bunch today. You put him in the slot and he’s extremely dangerous. They have a hard time covering him. I know in the third down period, he made a bunch of plays. Brad Smith, it’s time for him to get an opportunity to step up and make some plays. And of course Wallace Wright is a guy that he and Mark kind of have a thing with that second group. We always tease that we have a read for the other quarterbacks but when Wallace is in there, we know where Mark is throwing the ball. He’s going to Wallace. Of course, David Clowney (is) a guy that’s got a lot of speed and gotten better. People can say they’re unproven but until you give them an opportunity, that’s what they’re going to be.

[B]On finding a second tight end to compliment Dustin Keller…[/B]

That’s something we’re aware of. We have some options. We’re using some different people. We have some linemen that we’ve used. Last year, I think it was the second Buffalo game, we had Rob Turner out there. You guys nicknamed it some motion. We had one formation we were using. So we have some guys working at that spot. Of course Kareem (Brown) missed a couple (practices), dealing with some personal issues, he’s back. Jackson is a guy who plays, he’s doing a good job. He’s been asked to fill a lot of roles. He’s playing the Y spot, the S spot, he’s doing a lot of things. Today was a pretty good idea of, one of our sessions was like a big personnel, 22-on-13 personnel period, so the tight ends got a lot of work. We got the big play to Dustin (Keller) and there were a couple of things in the running game that we did a good job with. Right now, we’re just looking at other options and guys that we can use in those roles and it will sort itself out.

[B]On Jehuu Caulcrick…
    [/B]
    He’s doing good. He gets a lot of work because, obviously, with T-Rich (Tony Richardson’s) situation, I think Richardson is only like 55 years old (laughs), Caulcrick gets a chance to get a lot of work. He’s really working hard. He’s extremely powerful. Of course it’s a little bit of a different position for him. He’s a guy who used to carry the ball at Michigan State. He and coach (Anthony) Lynn have been working real hard. You watch him after practice, doing different things, but he’s a really good athlete. A guy that’s big and physical like, he really has good hands, he caught a ball in the flat today, a little ‘fire pass’ we call it. He’s doing a good job, but again, it’s just another guy who will benefit from more of the game-type situations, just to really see him continue to grow.

[B]On if he will use more shifts and motions in his offensive schemes…[/B]

I think that we believe, philosophically, they will help us. We think it causes problems for people (opponents). When you do that, you have to have the ability to also use your cadence and go on quick counts because otherwise people, they play the play clock and they say, “Don’t do anything, don’t show anything until the play clock runs down.” The 2006 system was probably the closest to what we believe philosophically. Last year with Brett (Favre), obviously, things were a little different. The year before, obviously when Kellen (Clemens) had to come in and was playing, that was a little bit unique as well.

[B]On J’Nathan Bullock and Danny Woodhead…
    [/B]
    I’ll tell you what. Danny Woodhead had a great spring. Not just at training camp, but he had a great spring. I know Rex (Ryan) commented on that back in June. He’s a guy who we think is really a talented player. He fills a lot of the roles that Leon does. We really like him, he’s doing a good job since coming off the injury. He’s fearless, I mean he really is, he’s fearless. You watch the 9-on-7 drill today and he’s sticking his face in there and not thinking twice about the knee or anything. With Bullock, it’s baby steps. The first thing for him is obviously learning the system, but then the footwork and all the things that go with it. He’s a terrific young guy. He’s working his tail off and he’s getting better. Where that goes remains to be seen. It’s still early.

[B]On Rex Ryan wanting to run the ball more…
    [/B]
    Well when people look at us, they’re going to want to stop the run anyway. We improved (the running game) with Thomas’ (Jones) attributes, breaking the (Jets single season touchdown) record. When you look at the position, we’re pretty strong at the tailback position with Leon (Washington) and some sub stuff and Jones. Again, you’re going to get some of those things, and there are some things to block eight and nine-man fronts. We’ll keep teams off-balance and when they get nosy, they better be careful, like Arizona was on fourth down last year. You run a little run-action pass, Jerricho (Cotchery) splits down the middle. We’ll self-scout ourselves and things that may be built as a tendency that you’re running specifically out of this front, you come back with something that takes advantage and gets behind the defense.

[B]On the Wildcat formation…[/B]

I think the Wildcat is just another means that keeps people off balance. It gives the defense something else to prepare for. I do think it’s going to be here this year, next year probably. I do think that every defense in the league is working on an answer. It doesn’t fit into a mold for us, we’re not a Wildcat package (team), we have enough guys that we want to give the ball to, like Washington and Brad and we try to be creative with it and just find different ways to get the ball to him. That’s really what it’s designed to do. It’s two things. Number one: get the ball in your playmaker’s hands and number two: give the defense something to focus on. So it’s eight plays less that they get to work on, maybe your top run or your top pass because they have to have to work on that. If you don’t work on that, there’s a good chance you’ll get embarrassed.[/QUOTE]

Veteran
    fantastic read. Could Wright maybe be working his way into the #2 WR slot? Maybe he is who Rex has been talking about. Smith seems to not be impressing by any means.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE](As far as) the guys we have competing for those next couple spots, (Chansi) Stuckey showed up a bunch today. You put him in the slot and he’s extremely dangerous. They have a hard time covering him.[/QUOTE]

A lot of us have been saying the same thing, that Stuckey is best suited to the slot because of his quickness, which is different from raw speed. It's unfortunate that we don't have a better #2 WR on the team. Something like the below would be a big upgrade, and allow us to put Stuckey in the slot where he belongs

X Jerricho Cotchery
    Y/TE Dustin Keller
    Slot Chansi Stuckey
    Z Matt Jones

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3197260]A lot of us have been saying the same thing, that Stuckey is best suited to the slot because of his quickness, which is different from raw speed. It's unfortunate that we don't have a better #2 WR on the team. Something like the below would be a big upgrade, and allow us to put Stuckey in the slot where he belongs

X Jerricho Cotchery
    Y/TE Dustin Keller
    Slot Chansi Stuckey
    Z [B]Matt Jones[/B][/QUOTE]

Chansi belongs in the slot. Problem is not having another veteran to play the #2. When it was Coles and Cotchery, and one of them got hurt, at least one veteran was still out there.

If Cotch goes down, then we lose that experience to help the QBs. The offense will be too unbalanced; it will affect the running game and put added pressure on the QBs.

Matt Jones is a guy that has great size and speed,with the ability to catch 60+ balls. Won't cost a draft pick and can be signed cheaply. Jones should be here now, to be evaluated and see if he's an answer.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3197260]A lot of us have been saying the same thing, that Stuckey is best suited to the slot because of his quickness, which is different from raw speed. It's unfortunate that we don't have a better #2 WR on the team. Something like the below would be a big upgrade, and allow us to put Stuckey in the slot where he belongs

X Jerricho Cotchery
    Y/TE Dustin Keller
    Slot Chansi Stuckey
    Z Matt Jones[/QUOTE]

Well I really like your Z reciever(Matt Jones), but then again I'm bias towards him.
    (Matt Jones) However, I think he fills a gap that we need filled (matt Jones).
    Who couldn't ( matt jones) use a tall (matt Jones), speedy (Jonesey), determined( Matt Jones hates to lose), 40 inch vertical jumpin' (MJ) goofy kid from Arkansas.( matt jones)
    Dammit, sign the freak.
    Oh and uh .... Matt Jones!!!

Wallace Wright can play WR.
    With Cotchery at #1 and Stuckey in the slot and Keller at TE, I think Wright could have some fun at the other WR, in single coverage all the time. He's a big kid who can catch. You will see.

All Pro
    i'm a big fan of wright, but lets not get carried away here. he has never shown anything to say he'd be a fit at the Z spot.

[QUOTE=Megalomaniac;3197498]i'm a big fan of wright, but lets not get carried away here. he has never shown anything to say he'd be a fit at the Z spot.[/QUOTE]

The only playing time he gets is on Special Teams. He excells there. I'm just saying that he ought to be given a chance at WR. Lets see what he can do. I think he can play a hell of a lot better at WR than Brad Smith.