Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY Daily News: After dismal rookie year, Vernon Gholston must make impact for Jets

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

NY Daily News: After dismal rookie year, Vernon Gholston must make impact for Jets

[url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/08/02/2009-08-02_vernon_gholston.html[/url]

From the article:

[QUOTE]To help Gholston and the other pass rushers, Ryan hired former Falcons defensive end Chuck Smith, who runs a well-known football training program in Atlanta. [B]Stars such as Osi Umenyiora and Albert Haynesworth have attended Smith's academy, and they swear by his methods.[/B]

Smith was introduced to the Jets in minicamp, and he was invited back for training camp. Guard Brandon Moore said Smith has a "tool bag" of tricks that he has taught the defensive linemen. Teammates say they've already noticed an improvement in Gholston's technique, particularly the way he uses his hands.

"He's been huge for us," said Gholston, adding that he'd like to attend Smith's program in Atlanta. "The biggest thing he's told me is, 'Work your speed, use the speed you have.' I want to develop that."

The pressure is on. No more on-the-job training.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I think Gholston can still be that pass rushing force that we need. Sure he's a quiet, reserved guy, but why should that count as a strike against him? We already have vocal defensive leaders in Leonard, Jenkins, and Scott, that role is filled.

His work ethic this offseason has been exceptional, showing that he is committed to football and to this team and he has improved in a big way from where he was last year. If he can improve his technique and eliminate the mental mistakes he has the talent to be our Shawne Merriman or DeMarcus Ware in good time. :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=XingDaorong;3197433][url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/08/02/2009-08-02_vernon_gholston.html[/url]

From the article:

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I think Gholston can still be that pass rushing force that we need. Sure he's a quiet, reserved guy, but why should that count as a strike against him? We already have vocal defensive leaders in Leonard, Jenkins, and Scott, that role is filled.

His work ethic this offseason has been exceptional, showing that he is committed to football and to this team and he has improved in a big way from where he was last year. If he can improve his technique and eliminate the mental mistakes he has the talent to be our Shawne Merriman or DeMarcus Ware in good time. :yes:[/QUOTE]

I don't have any doubts that he will turn it around and be a force for us. Funny that Mangini had the guys boxing with Teddy but that never got them anywhere.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=XingDaorong;3197433][url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/08/02/2009-08-02_vernon_gholston.html[/url]

From the article:

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I think Gholston can still be that pass rushing force that we need. [B]Sure he's a quiet, reserved guy, but why should that count as a strike against him?[/B] We already have vocal defensive leaders in Leonard, Jenkins, and Scott, that role is filled.

His work ethic this offseason has been exceptional, showing that he is committed to football and to this team and he has improved in a big way from where he was last year. If he can improve his technique and eliminate the mental mistakes he has the talent to be our Shawne Merriman or DeMarcus Ware in good time. :yes:[/QUOTE]

The guy could be loud, quiet, he could yodel naked on the top of his house to wake the roosters for all I care....if he can get to the QB, he can be whatever he wants to be. Leaders are good, playmakers are better.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gholston is going to be everywhere on the field this year making plays along with all the other LB's the jets have!!:yes::yes: Scott, Thomas, Pace-4 gm, Harris, Trusnick, Westerman, Murrell, Cummings and Renkert... LB isn't a problem for the jets if Gholston Sucks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let Chuck Smith tutor Bryan Thomas at speed-rushing too!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3197483]I'm not gonna lie, I'm not a believer

He has to make me a believer and that will start the first time I see him flatten a QB, even in a pre-season game[/QUOTE]

Get on board Ham, it's not cool to side with the underdog after he proves himself. Plus think of the "I told you so" potential here, people are lower on Gholston than they were on BT after he admitting to dogging it on '07. :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jeT.MAC;3197488]Gholston is going to be everywhere on the field this year making plays along with all the other LB's the jets have!!:yes::yes: Scott, Thomas, Pace-4 gm, Harris, Trusnick, Westerman, Murrell, Cummings and Renkert... LB isn't a problem for the jets if Gholston Sucks.[/QUOTE]

He won't suck, I can feel it, my gut tells me that he's going to dominate the weak O-Lines we're up against in the first four games. Ignore what all of those paid "analysts" are saying. :rolleyes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Baddniss;3197494]Let Chuck Smith tutor Bryan Thomas at speed-rushing too![/QUOTE]

I think Thomas is going to silence a lot of his critics this year to be honest as well. He's always been an athletic freak with a questionable motor, but with Rex coaching him he could easily justify that 1st round selection over a certain safety whose name will not be mentioned on these boards.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Slikmojet;3197458]I don't have any doubts that he will turn it around and be a force for us. Funny that Mangini had the guys boxing with Teddy but that never got them anywhere.[/QUOTE]

From what I've read he lost some of that extra weight in his lower body to gain some of the extra agility an OLB needs. From what I've read he doesn't look like the sluggish confused linebacker we saw in Pre-Season last year, doesn't mean he's good yet or even starting quality but there's definitely been a big improvement.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3197460]The guy could be loud, quiet, he could yodel naked on the top of his house to wake the roosters for all I care....if he can get to the QB, he can be whatever he wants to be. Leaders are good, playmakers are better.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, but one of the knocks on him is that he doesn't play with the enthusiasm or recklessness that someone like Scott does every down, and that he took plays off at OSU. It's telling about his motor as a player but after watching him dominate tackles like Jake Long there's no question that he has the natural talent to go with the freakish athleticism, it's just a matter of developing that talent and getting him comfortable in this new defensive system, which he seems to be so far.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    One report I saw posted on here had Gholston as being "pedestrian" during the first three days of camp.

Pedestrian = invisible = last year

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EM31;3197561]One report I saw posted on here had Gholston as being "pedestrian" during the first three days of camp.

Pedestrian = invisible = last year[/QUOTE]

Gholston will be the starter before this season is over

and a Probowler next season

good coaching replacing Belichick clone coaching is all he needed

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3197564]Gholston will be the starter before this season is over

and a Probowler next season

good coaching replacing Belichick clone coaching is all he needed[/QUOTE]
    I suspect you are in for disappointment. Bad coaching, if indeed there was any of that, does not explain how appallingly bad he was last year. He couldn't even get a sniff against 4th stringers in meaningless preseason games.

At some point a guy has to make one single play during an entire NFL season and he didn't even makes one. Not one. At some point when they line you up and tell you to go get the QB, it is all about talent and desire. Gholston showed almost none of either.

Carry on clinging to your dreams about him. I assume that if he does suck again this year that you will have no more ready-made excuses for why he sucked?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    so having a moron robot head coach who decides to bury you in training camp is no factor, I guess

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why this perpetual need to be fortune tellers about somebody's future? What satisfaction is there in taking a 50-50 proposition (he'll be good/he'll be bad) and putting all your money on one half or the other, as if you really can project what will happen? This is going on with Clemens, Sanchez, Gholston, and on and on. Why not simply let them play and hold off making any judgment until you have some data to make a case? If Gholston sucks and remains invisible after a whole preseason of work, then go to town and rip him as a bum. Until then, it's nothing but hot air, either way.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=XingDaorong;3197553]Exactly, but one of the knocks on him is that he doesn't play with the enthusiasm or recklessness that someone like Scott does every down, and that he took plays off at OSU. It's telling about his motor as a player but after watching him dominate tackles like Jake Long there's no question that he has the natural talent to go with the freakish athleticism, it's just a matter of developing that talent and getting him comfortable in this new defensive system, which he seems to be so far.[/QUOTE]

Ever heard of Multi-Quotes?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3197571]so having a moron robot head coach who decides to bury you in training camp is no factor, I guess[/QUOTE]

There is not a shred of evidence for either contention in the comment above. Please expalin why you think Mangini was a moron. I am not Mangini fan and thought it was time for him to go but obviously Tannenbaum, Bellichick and the new front office in Cleveland did not think he was a moron. There is also no evidence that Mangini was "burying" VG in training camp. It would be madness to engage in that kind of punitive behavior towards the number 1 pick of your franchise.

No, I am sorry. All of the available evidence is that VG buried HIMSELF on the bench because he sucked so badly every time he got put into a game. Sure you can argue the late start and the change in positions argument until the cows come home but at the end of the day the guy did not make even one single play in an entire NFL season. Not one. This is true even when lining up in obvious pass rushing situations against 4th string future grocery baggers in preseason. Sorry but VG is a colossal bust until he shows us otherwise.

I for one hope he does show us otherwise but irrationally blaming all of his SUCKY play on Eric Mangini is absurd. Get onto the damn field and make a a damn play why don't you. Get onto the damn field and look like you are trying at least to earn some of your 45 million dollar contract. Or is it sixty million?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    i really hope gholston can make an impact this year but i am a doubter. i think guys like westerman and trusnik will outplay gholston by years end. and rex will play the best guys at the end of the day. gholston will be given every chance but will get the yank if progress is not showing. i hope i am wrong. tell him jarvis moss says hi.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EM31;3197833]There is not a shred of evidence for either contention in the comment above. Please expalin why you think Mangini was a moron. I am not Mangini fan and thought it was time for him to go but obviously Tannenbaum, Bellichick and the new front office in Cleveland did not think he was a moron. There is also no evidence that Mangini was "burying" VG in training camp. It would be madness to engage in that kind of punitive behavior towards the number 1 pick of your franchise.

No, I am sorry. All of the available evidence is that VG buried HIMSELF on the bench because he sucked so badly every time he got put into a game. Sure you can argue the late start and the change in positions argument until the cows come home but at the end of the day the guy did not make even one single play in an entire NFL season. Not one. This is true even when lining up in obvious pass rushing situations against 4th string future grocery baggers in preseason. Sorry but VG is a colossal bust until he shows us otherwise.

I for one hope he does show us otherwise but irrationally blaming all of his SUCKY play on Eric Mangini is absurd. Get onto the damn field and make a a damn play why don't you. Get onto the damn field and look like you are trying at least to earn some of your 45 million dollar contract. Or is it sixty million?[/QUOTE]

Because it may have been a case of Mangini not trusting a rookie in that position last season? That he thought he might be coaching to keep his job and never put Gholston in afraid of what might happen if he failed, costing Gholston exp that would help him down the road?

Leaving people to assume his play was appallingly bad even though they hardly saw him play?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3197880]Because it may have been a case of Mangini not trusting a rookie in that position last season? That he thought he might be coaching to keep his job and never put Gholston in afraid of what might happen if he failed, costing Gholston exp that would help him down the road?

Leaving people to assume his play was appallingly bad even though they hardly saw him play?[/QUOTE]
    He got into the games and saw plenty of action last year. Enough to expect to have seen something from him. All of this opinion is not simply conjecture based on absence of evidence.