Thread: Meadowlands Train Running?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Meadowlands Train Running?

Will the Meadowlands Train be running for this season, including the preseason?

I haven't even attempted to get to the Friday night preseason games recently as its too much of a pain in the ass to get to the Stadium from the city, even on the bus -- Sitting in Friday traffic in the summer will be brutal.

If the train straight through to the Stadium is running though, I'd definitely consider it. Can't remember if its scheduled to start now, later in the season or next year.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3197762]Will the Meadowlands Train be running for this season, including the preseason?

I haven't even attempted to get to the Friday night preseason games recently as its too much of a pain in the ass to get to the Stadium from the city, even on the bus -- Sitting in Friday traffic in the summer will be brutal.

If the train straight through to the Stadium is running though, I'd definitely consider it. Can't remember if its scheduled to start now, later in the season or next year.[/QUOTE]

Yes, its running.

The train was first used for the USA-Mexico soccer match a couple of Sundays ago.

The train will be used, at this time, for any event with an expected crowd of 50,000 or more...so I would say yes to the pre-season games.

(INSERT Exhibition Game No-Show jokes here).

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I hope so...coming up for the home opener against the patsies* and am staying across the street from MSG..The train would make it a very easy trip...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=jetfan13;3197770]I hope so...coming up for the home opener against the patsies* and am staying across the street from MSG..The train would make it a very easy trip...[/QUOTE]

Oh no....if you are staying at the Hotel Pennsylvania (I just posted this in another thread), look for another rezzie - you still have time. I've heard so many stories about what a rat trap that place is. Its almost a running joke - whenever I hear someone b!tch about their hotel, I automatically say "HOtel Pennsylvania"?

Banned
    I was at Giants Stadium on Friday for an AC/DC concert. I didn't even see where the railway is located.

As far as the new stadium goes, it looked like it was a bit bigger than the current one.

Hall Of Fame
    [url]http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/07/soccer_fans_try_new_rail_servi.html[/url]

[IMG]http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/2009/07/large_meadowlands%20train.JPG[/IMG]

[QUOTE]Soccer fans try new rail service to Meadowlands
    by Rohan Mascarenhas/The Star-Ledger
    Sunday July 26, 2009, 10:06 PM

For the first time since Giants stadium opened more than 30 years ago, thousands of fans took advantage of a new rail service today to arrive at the Meadowlands fixture for a sold-out soccer match.

As if in a tableau from the Industrial Era, toddlers stared in wonder at giant NJ Transit trains waiting in Secaucus Junction, while fans inside, eager to attend a championship match between Mexico and the United States, jostled to fill every seat. Someone cried, "Next stop, U.S.A.!"

By 1:30 p.m., more than 3,000 people had used the Meadowlands rail line, many coming from New York City, according to Penny Bassett Hackett, an NJ Transit spokeswoman. On a normal Sunday, she said, the station accommodated that number of people during the entire day.

Passengers gave the train service, which originates in Hoboken, mixed reviews. Some praised it as convenient, allowing them to arrive on a platform only two minutes from the stadium's entrance. Others said they needed more information on schedules and maps, as well as more connecting trains from other stations.

Matt Leventhal, of Norwalk, Conn., is a fan.

"I've been in the parking lot of the Giants Stadium, and it's a nightmare getting out of there," Leventhal said.

The 28-year-old, who drove from his home state and parked in Secaucus, said he was happy he could return by train after the match, get in his car and easily hop onto the highway.

For now, trains to the Meadowlands Sports Complex will only operate 3 1/2 hours before events that draw 50,000 fans or more, according to an NJ Transit press release. Trains leave every 10 to 20 minutes between Hoboken Terminal, Secaucus Junction and the stadiums, with a trip from Hoboken taking 23 minutes.

Matt Markosian, 30, of Newark said he had a more difficult time with his journey from Newark Penn Station, where he found little help from agents.

"It's better than driving, and I'm happy to leave my car at home," Markosian said. "But there was some confusion about where I had to go and what price I had to pay."

Markosian said he paid $7.75 for a round-trip from Newark, where he had to catch a 1:20 p.m. train to make it in time for the 3 p.m. match.

"Once the kinks get worked out, I'm sure I'll keep doing it," he said.

Passengers from New York also complained about long travel times because only one train departed from the city's Penn Station every hour for the transfer to the Meadowlands rail service.

"It was a little hectic," said Dave Madan, 26, a Boston resident on a weekend visit with friends. "One of our friends missed the train, and I don't know what she's going to do."

Dan Stessel, an NJ Transit spokesman, said the agency hoped to make the new train more customer-friendly as time goes on. He helped direct passengers at Secaucus Junction, along with a team of volunteers, ticket agents and police officers.

"Through this season, we know there will need to be a customer service commitment as people familiarize themselves with the new service," Stessel said. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jetfan13;3197770]I hope so...coming up for the home opener against the patsies* and am staying across the street from MSG..The train would make it a very easy trip...[/QUOTE]

Al,
    I think you need to switch trains in secaucus. Its not direct to the stadium from penn station. Check it out.

PS. Savage & I got tix for the Dolphins-Jets MNF game in Miami. I'm coming down to Fla-dee-da to party with you guys that weekend...B.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=crasherino;3197781]Oh no....if you are staying at the Hotel Pennsylvania (I just posted this in another thread), look for another rezzie - you still have time. I've heard so many stories about what a rat trap that place is. Its almost a running joke - whenever I hear someone b!tch about their hotel, I automatically say "HOtel Pennsylvania"?[/QUOTE]
    Agreed. The Ramada a block east is a good deal.

50,000 fans? So a no go for pre-season.

Be lucky if there are 50 fans there.

BZ

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Its not the Hotel Penn...its The Affinia Manhatten...Looks great....but thanx for all your concern
    Last edited by jetfan13; 08-04-2009 at 02:34 PM.