Thread: Rangers Make Zherdev a Free Agent

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Rangers Make Zherdev a Free Agent

Rangers deny Zherdev's arbitration offer

NEW YORK -- The New York Rangers are making young forward Nikolai Zherdev an unrestricted free agent after walking away from the $3.9 million arbitration award he was given.

The Rangers had until Tuesday to accept the figure for next season or let him go. Zherdev reportedly sought $4.5 million in arbitration after the Rangers made a $3.25 million qualifying offer.

An arbitrator awarded Zherdev $3.9 million on Sunday.

"With the additions we've been able to make this summer, we feel we've been able to add scoring and offense from the wing position," New York general manager Glen Sather said in a statement. "Following the arbitration process and subsequent award given, we feel it is in our best interest to walk away and continue to explore all available options to improve our roster."

The 24-year-old Zherdev played in all 82 games last season, his only one with the Rangers, and had 23 goals and 35 assists for 58 points -- second on the team to Nik Antropov, who came over from Toronto at the trade deadline.

New York's top three scorers from last season will not return.

Antropov left the Rangers for Atlanta last month via free agency, and Scott Gomez, who tied Zherdev with 58 points, was traded to Montreal.

Zherdev, acquired in a trade with the Columbus Blue Jackets last summer, had no points and was a minus-3 in the Rangers' seven-game, first-round playoff series loss to Washington.

In 365 NHL regular-season games with the Rangers and Columbus, Zherdev has 99 goals and 140 assists.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4377703

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn....I really thought we was a good player.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    It alway pains me to witness these kinds of dumbass moves by Sather year in and year out. Always giving up assets, whether they be good young players or high draft picks, for players that have talent but have the "underperform" tag attached to them. Zherdev for Tyutin is a prime example. Andropov for a 2nd round pick is another. Morris for Prucha, Dawes, etc is another. The list goes on. And then these guys walk for nothing and we have absolutely nothing to show for it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    It alway pains me to witness these kinds of dumbass moves by Sather year in and year out. Always giving up assets, whether they be good young players or high draft picks, for players that have talent but have the "underperform" tag attached to them. Zherdev for Tyutin is a prime example. Andropov for a 2nd round pick is another. Morris for Prucha, Dawes, etc is another. The list goes on. And then these guys walk for nothing and we have absolutely nothing to show for it.
    I'd agree except our roster, at least on paper, seems to be shaping up as pretty good...better than last season's at least...with the additions gaborik, higgins, kotalik...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTPenny View Post
    I'd agree except our roster, at least on paper, seems to be shaping up as pretty good...better than last season's at least...with the additions gaborik, higgins, kotalik...
    Jay, we do not have a legitimate 1st line center. We do not have a legitimate PP QB on the point. Nor do we have that big hitting defenseman. In fact, we are very soft on defense overall. I'm concerned with the PK with the departures of Sjostrom, Betts (likely) and Korpikoski. I'd say it's very questionable if we're better. Maybe about the same. Not to mention we're screwed if Gaborik can't stay on the ice. I have many concerns about this team this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Jay, we do not have a legitimate 1st line center. We do not have a legitimate PP QB on the point. Nor do we have that big hitting defenseman. In fact, we are very soft on defense overall. I'm concerned with the PK with the departures of Sjostrom, Betts (likely) and Korpikoski. I'd say it's very questionable if we're better. Maybe about the same. Not to mention we're screwed if Gaborik can't stay on the ice. I have many concerns about this team this year.
    PP is going to be better this year. I really like Kotalik on the powerplay.

PK is going to take a hit but when you have a keeper like Lundqvist, you are in good shape.

Anyway, the reason he made this move is to give the team some sort of flexibility at the trade deadline/next season for a 1st line center. Also, Torts despises him apparently.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    PP is going to be better this year. I really like Kotalik on the powerplay.

PK is going to take a hit but when you have a keeper like Lundqvist, you are in good shape.

Anyway, the reason he made this move is to give the team some sort of flexibility at the trade deadline/next season for a 1st line center. Also, Torts despises him apparently.
    I don't question the move now so much as I question Sather's vision and foresight when he makes deals. It's like his moves are knee-jerk reactions, short-term fixes, without consideration for the future. This guy has never had a "plan" for this franchise since the day he got here.