Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking the train to the game?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dylan McKay;3260748]Anyone coming into Grand Central, I suggest just taking the S shuttle to 42ns St/Port Authority and hop on a 351 bus.

If you really wanted to take the train you could:

Take the same S line to 42nd/Port Authority, switch to either the 1/2/3 or A/C to get to Penn Station, hop on a NJTransit train to Seacaucus, switch at Seacaucus for a Meadowlands train. Or just take a 10 minute/$7 cab ride to Penn.

Either way, anyone that can get to Port Authority fairly easily, I suggest you take the bus. With all the LIRR and Jersey people now taking the train, the bus should be a lot less crowded than in previous years.[/QUOTE]

I've taken the 351 many times, and on the way there, it's generally great. I think one time I waited for a long time in the Port Authority. That was for a New England game a couple years ago. Lines were huge. Other than that, though, it's usually like a 5-10 minute wait then, what, a 15 minute ride to the game?

Leaving is another story. A couple of times I was able to get on a bus and go, but the majority of times I've taken it back there are huge lines of people waiting to board buses and huge lines of buses not boarding people. At some point, 20-30 minutes later, they start boarding. From that point on, it's usually smooth sailing (though sometimes there's tunnel traffic).

I guess we have to see how the 351 is this year in getting back now that the trains should reduce the amount of people taking it. Also, we'll have to see how the trains are leaving the game.

From a cost perspective, if you're going yourself, mass transit generally seems much cheaper. If you're driving in with other folks, though, you can probably get in cheaper due to economies of scale.

Personally, I used to bring tons of **** to tailgate, so driving was the only way. Last couple years, I like to go really light and meet up with folks in the lot. So, I take mass transit whenever possible to save myself the aggravation of driving in that traffic.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    my experience with the bus, exactly

a great trip going

and a 45 minute wait at least on a line to board a bus for the return trip.

my other problem is that once I get to the Bus Terminal, I then have to take the subway to Penn Station to find the LIRR anyhow.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hoping this train business works out. I live in Union I love the idea of being able to walk to the Path train, and then take NJ transit straight to the game. Skips a step for me.

We'll see how much of a debacle it is.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    train report

caught the train from Bayside at 10:27

arrived at 10:55 -- train to Secaucus was boarding and left at 11:07

arrived in Secaucus in about 12 minutes and took the walk up the stairs and then down to the Meadowlands track. (only hitch is that NJT turnstiles don't accept LIRR tickets so you have to find an agent to mark it and open the gate manually). Train took about 90 seconds to arrive and boarding was organized and orderly. Train to stadium takes about 15 minutes and circles around the stadium and through the swamps. Arrived at the Stadium at 11:37.

Trip home was also smooth and lacking in adventure. Two full sized trains were waiting at the stadium and there was no delay in boarding. Same at Secaucus where the train arrived within 30 seconds. Had to wait 20 minutes at Penn for the 5:19 to Bayside. Reached my house at 5:53

all in all, each trip took approximately 20-25 minutes longer than normal drive time but the lack of traffic jams, parking passes, bridge tolls and walks on the Pedestrian bridge from the arena were well worth the extra time IMHO

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the Pats game I was in the Parking lot at 4:20. They had 3 trains waiting. I was home in Mineola at 6:15, that's including the drunking walk home which is about a mile :D Going to the stadium takes longer (for me atleast) going home about the same time as driving maybe a little faster. Biggest + is if your drinking! No worries!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, sg3 and Marsh. Very helpful!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    i did the bus in and the train home. bus in: on the bus at 10:30a, waited for it to fill. bus left at 10:38, arrived at stadium at 10:49. Lo-o-o-ong walk for me from bus to where I meet friends to tailgate (over by what used to be "pegasus parking" for the racetrack). wanted to hang and tailgate afterwards, so we hung until about 5:30 (would never have made last bus), took a much shorter walk to train, waited until the train left at about 5:45, transfer at secaucus was a bit of a wait, we got there in like 10 mins, but the train to penn station didn't leave for like a half hour.

all in all, i think it was a good trade-off, the added time to hang after the game for the considerably longer trip. i think the bus in is definite;y the way to go if you're coming from manhattan, then the train home if you're going to stay late, or the bus if not.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The train was excellent today.It came on time and after the game trains were waiting at the stop. No traffic ,no tolls and I was home 5:45.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Left my Gate C seats @ 4:20pm yesterday after the game had ended, and even with the crowd boarding the trains, we pulled into Hoboken @ 5:10. Just buy your round trip tickets beforehand and you're all set.

Feel free to ignore that report from the U2 concert about the trains being a mess.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't post a train report on Sunday's game because my trip was precisely the same in time as the trip for the Patriot game the week before. Different crowd numbers, rain vs dry, no change in the excellent quality of the round trip Meadowlands-Bayside trip for me

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Need some advise. I am deciding whether or not to renew my tickets for next year (did not renew this year) and the train is a big part of the equation as I can no longer bear the traffic and the tailgating has grown a little old. I would be driving to Ronkonkoma (about 20 min) then LIRR to Penn / NJT to Secacus to Meadowlands. Has anybody done this trip and what are your reviews? Thanks

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    add 35 minutes to your trip from Ronkonkoma to Penn Station. Essentially that is your trip, going and coming. Did it from Bayside on the LIRR for both home games. Caught the 10:27 from Bayside... connected to an 11:07 NJT at Penn to Secaucus, made the connection to the Meadowlands and was at the Stadium at 11:41. In both cases the game ended at about 4:10. There were two trains waiting to load after the Patriot game and three after the Titan game. We had a 45 second wait at Secaucus for the train to Penn Station. Caught the 5:19 from Penn both times and was in the door before 6 PM.

The longest wait was from 4:50-55 or so at Penn Station until the regularly scheduled 5:19

You might get luckier with service to Ronkonkoma or not

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3281780]add 35 minutes to your trip from Ronkonkoma to Penn Station. Essentially that is your trip, going and coming. Did it from Bayside on the LIRR for both home games. Caught the 10:27 from Bayside... connected to an 11:07 NJT at Penn to Secaucus, made the connection to the Meadowlands and was at the Stadium at 11:41. In both cases the game ended at about 4:10. There were two trains waiting to load after the Patriot game and three after the Titan game. We had a 45 second wait at Secaucus for the train to Penn Station. Caught the 5:19 from Penn both times and was in the door before 6 PM.

The longest wait was from 4:50-55 or so at Penn Station until the regularly scheduled 5:19

You might get luckier with service to Ronkonkoma or not[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Gonna try it on the 18th

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I am taking public transportation back into the city on Sunday. Does anyone know if its easy to buy a ticket at the Stadium (or even possible for that matter)?

I can't remember about the bus either....can you buy it on the bus on the way back? IIRC, you can do it, but you need exact change.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wound up leaving my place at 2:49pm yesterday. Parked and walked briskly across the street to catch a 2:52pm train. I stopped at Secaucus Junction, used the restrooms, then walked down and got on a train which left like 1 minute later at 3:39pm. That made it to the stadium by 3:55pm.

I then waited in a massive line at Gate B, but it moved, and I got to my seats by kickoff.

All in all, not bad at all. Just over an hour from couch to stadium, then just a little longer to get to the seats. And it cost $11.25. Now driving without traffic is much quicker, but you can't leave at 2:49pm and make it to your seats by kickoff when driving from where I live.

I stayed until the end, and I think I made it out by Gate B at like 8:12pm. Got on a train which left at 8:17pm. Made it to Secaucus at like 8:32pm. Then had to wait until 9:20pm for my train (not heading to NY Penn, so they only come once per hour). But I was back home at a few minutes after 10pm...I think 10:07pm).

So, the trip back was almost 2 hours, seat to seat. If I was drinking heavily, it would have been OK since I could have slammed 3 beers at the train station. Instead, I had a soda and checked FFL scores....

I'd definitely do this again, and if I'm meeting people at the stadium and not tailgating, I prefer this route. Yesterday I was able to watch a bunch of the Giants and then read on the train. My trains leave Secaucus at the :20s, so it's a bit awkward. If it's a blowout, I guess I can leave during the 4th quarter and try to catch the 4:20 or 7:20 trains. Or, I can probably stay til the end and comfortably catch the 5:20 or 8:20 trains. Yesterday the OT threw me way off and caused the 50 minute wait in Secaucus.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know what the earliest train is to the Meadowlands for Sunday? It looks like there is a 9:14 train out of Penn that gets you in at 9:53, but I'm not sure if that schedule is 100% reliable.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are looking at the NJT schedule on the web, it is, from my experience 100 percent accurate. It is tricky though to find the entire schedule on the web. I suggest you call them to confirm whether there are earlier trains from Secaucus to the Meadowlands. The train from Penn to Secaucus runs 24 hours but the connecting train to the Meadowlands only runs on game days so that is the issue you need to confirm

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3334489]Does anyone know what the earliest train is to the Meadowlands for Sunday? It looks like there is a 9:14 train out of Penn that gets you in at 9:53, but I'm not sure if that schedule is 100% reliable.[/QUOTE]
    i think there are earlier trains, because i'm pretty sure a friend took the train to a giants game and got there at 9a for a 1p. otherwise you're better off with the bus, the first one usually leaves at 10a or shortly after, gets you to teh stadium about 10:15 - if you're in secaucus at 9:53, you're not getting to the stadium any earlier. they say the bus starts at 10:30a, but they send the first bus as soon as it's full, which is usually 10a with teh 'early' group. then there's usually a wait to fill the second, which usually leaves at 10:30 or so.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    the bus is fine for going to the stadium

and a disaster for getting out from the stadium

caviat emptor

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3337331]the bus is fine for going to the stadium

and a disaster for getting out from the stadium

caviat emptor[/QUOTE]

Is the bus still bad even with the new train? I thought the bus lines would be better now