Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Taking the train to the game?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=isired;3362359]did you leave right after the game or later?

my biggest issue is the delays due to crowding on the way in - they have to add some trains at the peak times, or figure a better way to get the big crowd through than those electronic ticket gates.[/QUOTE]

You'd be better served trying to go in early and hooking up with a tailgate, no?

Makes it more fun, too.:yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=32green;3362640]You'd be better served trying to go in early and hooking up with a tailgate, no?

Makes it more fun, too.:yes:[/QUOTE]i left with time to tailgate for an hour (if i had taken the bus), ended up getting to the game 5 mins before kickoff on the train. last week left at the same time, took the bus, had an hour to tailgate.

Jets Insider VIP
    Glad the bus is working out for you, Ralphie boy

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=sg3;3370815]Glad the bus is working out for you, Ralphie boy[/QUOTE]
    thanks, you're a real pal ;)

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=sg3;3354462]Penn Station to Meadowlands is a NJTransit ticket so you can't buy that segment only at a LIRR station.

I believe you are stuck with the lines unless you are in the city now and stop at the NJT ticket booth or machine today on the way home[/QUOTE]

Can I buy a Mineola to Meadowlands ticket to cover the entire trip at a LIRR ticket machine without having to wait on line at Penn Station for the NJT segment?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;3374806]Can I buy a Mineola to Meadowlands ticket to cover the entire trip at a LIRR ticket machine without having to wait on line at Penn Station for the NJT segment?[/QUOTE]

Yep. Just pick Meadowlands/Giants stadium round trip as your destination (hit M in the destination menu, it will pop up) in the machine and you get one ticket per person that covers the whole thing including the transfers at Penn and Secaucus.

WHen you exit at Penn go towards 8th ave, go upstairs to NJ transit and you will see the train entrance on your right. FYI, Before you you go, check out the LIRR schedules/arrivals against the NJ Transit Secaucus schedule. You can often grab a NJ bound train with only a few minute gap if you pick the right LIRR train.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions.
    Last edited by 32green; 11-28-2009 at 10:19 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=32green;3374852]Yep. Just pick Meadowlands/Giants stadium round trip as your destination (hit M in the destination menu, it will pop up) in the machine and you get one ticket per person that covers the whole thing including the transfers at Penn and Secaucus.

WHen you exit at Penn go towards 8th ave, go upstairs to NJ transit and you will see the train entrance on your right. FYI, Before you you go, check out the LIRR schedules/arrivals against the NJ Transit Secaucus schedule. You can often grab a NJ bound train with only a few minute gap if you pick the right LIRR train.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks. Figured with the good weather scheduled for tomorrow would be as good a time as any to take my 4 year old to his first Jets game.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=32green;3374852]Yep. Just pick Meadowlands/Giants stadium round trip as your destination (hit M in the destination menu, it will pop up) in the machine and you get one ticket per person that covers the whole thing including the transfers at Penn and Secaucus.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions.[/QUOTE]

you can also use the seventh avenue end of Penn. Since you have your ticket just make sure you do not go up the steps where the lines for tickets are but stay on the lower LIRR level which takes you directly to the NJT entrances to the station platforms, usually track 1 or 2

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;3374859]Thanks. Figured with the good weather scheduled for tomorrow would be as good a time as any to take my 4 year old to his first Jets game.[/QUOTE]

Great idea, none of the animosity of a divisional game, less crowding and good weather, it should be a nice low key affair for a child that age.
    Have a great time!

[QUOTE=sg3;3374880]you can also use the seventh avenue end of Penn. Since you have your ticket just make sure you do not go up the steps where the lines for tickets are but stay on the lower LIRR level which takes you directly to the NJT entrances to the station platforms, usually track 1 or 2[/QUOTE]

I just figured a lot of people pile out the seventh ave. side of the LIRR, it might be easier to make your way West where it would be less crowded.

Jets Insider VIP
    the most important thing if you are using an LIRR ticket is that it can't be put in the NJT turnstiles. You need to locate a NJT human person who will be standing by the turnstiles, show them your ticket and they will use their card to open the entrance gate for you.

Hall Of Fame
    Disappointed with the lack of organization at Secaucus Station. Scheduling sucks, waited 20 minutes going only to have two trains pull up within a minute of each other. A crapshoot guessing where the doors will be, never the same. Trains too packed to get on after waiting 20 minutes.

Took the 3:48 from the Meadowlands, with delays still didn't get back to Mineola until 6:10. Could have driven and done about the same coming home, but get in much quicker. Would try again, but they definitely need to work the kinks out. And the platform crowding in Secaucus is a real safety issue.

Practice Squad
    Today was a day the train would definitely have been better, with all the Thanksgiving traffic heading home the wait to get into the Holland Tunnel was brutal! Am sure I would have got home quicker on the train.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanksgiving sunday driving home was always the worst with the average drive time nearly doubled due to the increased turnpike congestion of long weekend holiday folks making their way home.

The train was slightly slower also but instead of having to wait the usual 25 minutes for the 5:19 out of Penn on the LIRR, we had to run like a banshee to make it within a minute of the doors closing, thus getting home as each of the other times I took the train to the game

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;3377392]Disappointed with the lack of organization at Secaucus Station. Scheduling sucks, waited 20 minutes going only to have two trains pull up within a minute of each other. A crapshoot guessing where the doors will be, never the same. Trains too packed to get on after waiting 20 minutes.

Took the 3:48 from the Meadowlands, with delays still didn't get back to Mineola until 6:10. Could have driven and done about the same coming home, but get in much quicker. Would try again, but they definitely need to work the kinks out. And the platform crowding in Secaucus is a real safety issue.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on this. Secaucus Junction is definitely the weak link. On the way in, we watched one train after another come and go on the opposite platform while waiting a good 20 minutes on Platform H for the Meadowlands-bound train. Then, like you said, 2 of them showed up a minute apart. First one looked like a Calcutta special with people cramming every space. Coordination for game-day trains can't be this difficult, can it? First time I can ever remember missing the opening kick-off. On the way back, similar situation - nothing for several minutes while the platform became very crowded, then back-to-back trains to Penn.

took the train to the Panthers game this week. Getting in was great, even though I got to Secaucus at 9:05 and had to wait until 9:40 for the next shuttle to Meadowlands, I was still there by 10am. Once thing I noticed was that there was no one at the turnsiles letting people with LIRR passes through... lucky for me I took the subway into Penn and got an actual NJ Transit ticket. Coming back was a nightmare in Seacaucus once again. I got on the 2nd train leaving, everything was organized with 3 trains waiting, workers directed traffic well and it seemed to go smoothly. We got to Secaucus at 4:05 and the first scheduled train to Manhattan was set to be at 4:17, but it was over 20 minutes late and the platform got really crowded as the shuttles from Meadowlands kept dropping more fans off.

NJ Transit needs to get their sh*t together. I called to make a complaint, I think if enough people do they may do something to fix the problem.

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;3377392]

Took the 3:48 from the Meadowlands, with delays still didn't get back to Mineola until 6:10. Could have driven and done about the same coming home, but get in much quicker. Would try again, but they definitely need to work the kinks out. And the platform crowding in Secaucus is a real safety issue.[/QUOTE]

Got to my car @ 4:45 - Route 3 east to Lincoln about 20min. Make the mistake of going crosstown on 34th St. (Christmas afternoon crowd :steamin:) to the Midtown Tunnel- wasted a good 35min going 1.2 miles on 34th St. getting to the Midtown Tunnel. After the Tunnel on the LIE - clear shot home.

Total 32 miles arrived right around 6:10 pm.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=parkwayjet1;3377829]Agreed on this. Secaucus Junction is definitely the weak link. On the way in, we watched one train after another come and go on the opposite platform while waiting a good 20 minutes on Platform H for the Meadowlands-bound train. Then, like you said, 2 of them showed up a minute apart. First one looked like a Calcutta special with people cramming every space. Coordination for game-day trains can't be this difficult, can it? First time I can ever remember missing the opening kick-off. On the way back, similar situation - nothing for several minutes while the platform became very crowded, then back-to-back trains to Penn.[/QUOTE]

What really pissed me off is that I got on the platform in one of the first groups, but after waiting 30 minutes the train pulled in and the doors were not within 10 feet of where I was standing. So despite waiting longer than most, did not get on the train. I could see it getting really ugly at some point if train after train come in and there is not any room, and frustration builds on the platform.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;3378006]What really pissed me off is that I got on the platform in one of the first groups, but after waiting 30 minutes the train pulled in and the doors were not within 10 feet of where I was standing. So despite waiting longer than most, did not get on the train. I could see it getting really ugly at some point if train after train come in and there is not any room, and frustration builds on the platform.[/QUOTE]

That was my experience as well. Walk down to a neat empty platform, then the inevitable announcements about delays, platform starts to fill behind you, with many well oiled gents:rolleyes: amongst the throng, and then the nagging fear of getting pushed into the tracks as the crowd builds and gets restless behind you.

Multiply this fear by ten if you have kids with you.:rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=32green;3378054]

Multiply this fear by ten if you have kids with you.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

And I did- not a great place for a 4 year old, especially when he points at one of the "well oiled" gents and yells at him for standing on the "Yellow Line".

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Something else I noticed in the Secaucus station - on the way home - was that as the platform kept loading up with waves of shuttle people coming down the escalators, the people on the escalators had little to no room to exit at the bottom as the platform crowd just stood right where they got off, backing into the stair/escalator area. I thought we would have a bad situation with people on the escalators pushing into people at the bottom, with nowhere else to move. When I used to go to games at Madison Square Garden, there would be security people stationed at the escalators to temporarily hold up waves of people exiting a game before letting them get on the escalators, precisely to avoid such a situation. Just another consequence of poor coordination with the trains.