Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Taking the train to the game?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;3378089]And I did- not a great place for a 4 year old, especially when he points at one of the "well oiled" gents and yells at him for standing on the "Yellow Line".[/QUOTE]

Lol, thankfully, you prolly loomed over the line straddling miscreant!

[QUOTE=parkwayjet1;3378121]Something else I noticed in the Secaucus station - on the way home - was that as the platform kept loading up with waves of shuttle people coming down the escalators, the people on the escalators had little to no room to exit at the bottom as the platform crowd just stood right where they got off, backing into the stair/escalator area. I thought we would have a bad situation with people on the escalators pushing into people at the bottom, with nowhere else to move. When I used to go to games at Madison Square Garden, there would be security people stationed at the escalators to temporarily hold up waves of people exiting a game before letting them get on the escalators, precisely to avoid such a situation. Just another consequence of poor coordination with the trains.[/QUOTE]

If you read most of these posts, you can almost predict that something terrible is going to happen at the Secaucus transfer.

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;3374806]Can I buy a Mineola to Meadowlands ticket to cover the entire trip at a LIRR ticket machine without having to wait on line at Penn Station for the NJT segment?[/QUOTE]

[url]http://lirr42.mta.info/sfweb/faces/fare.jspx[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=32green;3378253]

If you read most of these posts, you can almost predict that something terrible is going to happen at the Secaucus transfer.[/QUOTE]

I agree...they definitely don't have their sh!t together for either efficiency or safety. The train is a great concept though. How hard would it be to have a train that goes directly from the Meadowlands into Penn Station? Its not like its rush hour and every track is otherwise taken. I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult to have 1 track designated the Meadowlands track for football games much like they do at Port Authority. That would make the shuttle an absolute gem. Charge an extra buck or two, if need be.

[QUOTE=parkwayjet1;3378121]Something else I noticed in the Secaucus station - on the way home - was that as the platform kept loading up with waves of shuttle people coming down the escalators, the people on the escalators had little to no room to exit at the bottom as the platform crowd just stood right where they got off, backing into the stair/escalator area. I thought we would have a bad situation with people on the escalators pushing into people at the bottom, with nowhere else to move. When I used to go to games at Madison Square Garden, there would be security people stationed at the escalators to temporarily hold up waves of people exiting a game before letting them get on the escalators, precisely to avoid such a situation. Just another consequence of poor coordination with the trains.[/QUOTE]

They should heed your advice. I went to see the Brooklyn Bridge 100th birthday fireworks many years ago. Great fireworks but when it was all over everybidy bolted for the Path Train. Same situation. People forced and pushed onto the platform. Unfortunatly for me I was right on the edge of the platform. I thought I was going to die and it is something I hope I (or anybody else for that matter) never encounter again. That is a very dangerous situation.

do you guys think there will be too many delays tomorrow to take the train to the game? Hopefully they work hard to clear it out since you would think more people would rather take the train than drive in the snow.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JETSfan322;3409173]do you guys think there will be too many delays tomorrow to take the train to the game? Hopefully they work hard to clear it out since you would think more people would rather take the train than drive in the snow.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sold on the train, but if their were a day to do it -- it sounds like tomorrow is definitely the day. Especially if you're coming from LI.

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;3409177]I'm not sold on the train, but if their were a day to do it -- it sounds like tomorrow is definitely the day. Especially if you're coming from LI.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, thinking tomorrow will be my first train to the game experience too as driving to the game does not seem like a very inviting prospect. I live in Manhattan so planning to get the PATH to Hoboken and then the NJT from there.

Jets Insider VIP
    the train is the way to go

has been all season

tomorrow even more so

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=sg3;3409264]the train is the way to go

has been all season

tomorrow even more so[/QUOTE]

You speak as if the train is perfect. It is not. Secaucus is a disaster waiting to happen. May be even more so tomorrow.

Jets Insider VIP
    been pretty much perfect for me.

No delays going. And staying until the final whistle of each game, no significant problems in either the Meadowlands or Secaucus. Every time got home at exactly the same time, about 30 minutes more than driving from northern Queens. And no traffic jams on the Cross Bronx and the Turnpike, no bridge tolls, no confiscatory parking fees to deal with.

only speaking for my own experience, though,

you prefer driving in the snow, be my guest

[QUOTE=sg3;3409371]been pretty much perfect for me.

No delays going. And staying until the final whistle of each game, no significant problems in either the Meadowlands or Secaucus. Every time got home at exactly the same time, about 30 minutes more than driving from northern Queens. And no traffic jams on the Cross Bronx and the Turnpike, no bridge tolls, no confiscatory parking fees to deal with.

only speaking for my own experience, though,

you prefer driving in the snow, be my guest[/QUOTE]

you think the train will be running fine today?

[QUOTE=batman10023;3410110]you think the train will be running fine today?[/QUOTE]
    Since SG3 is on his way to the game I will answer for him.

"The train was just perfect today as it's been all year. This is the way to go. Got to the stadium no problem. The train was waiting for me when I left the stadium after the final whistle. Left 2 minutes later. Arrived in Seacacus and caught a train in 4 minutes for Penn Station. I don't know what everybody is talking about with Seacacus problems. Never had one all year.

Waited a short while for the 5:19 Port Washington Line train and was back home in the "mafia dumping grounds" of Queens by 6:00.

What a smooth ride. Let all the other suckers wait in traffic. Can't wait to be in my upper deck 45 yard line, oh excuse me it's really the 30 yard line seats next year in our spanking new stadium.

Thank you so much Woody for this train and for pissing off QJF, Traitor Jay, Fatman and all the other imbeciles so that they will not pollute my experience next year."
    Last edited by Queens Jet Fan; 12-20-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;3410265]Since SG3 is on his way to the game I will answer for him.

"The train was just perfect today as it's been all year. This is the way to go. Got to the stadium no problem. The train was waiting for me when I left the stadium after the final whistle. Left 2 minutes later. Arrived in Seacacus and caught a train in 4 minutes for Penn Station. I don't know what everybody is talking about with Seacacus problems. Never had one all year.

Waited a short while for the 5:19 Port Washington Line train and was back home in the "mafia dumping grounds" of Queens by 6:00.

What a smooth ride. Let all the other suckers wait in traffic. Can't wait to be in my upper deck 45 yard line, oh excuse me it's really the 30 yard line seats next year in our spanking new stadium.

Thank you so much Woody for this train and for pissing off QJF, Traitor Jay, Fatman and all the other imbeciles so that they will not pollute my experience next year."[/QUOTE]

Lolz, bravo.:D

That guy is def. a shill for Woody. You know the PSL pushers have accounts on the jets sites, they would be stupid not too.

I just thought they would be a little more subtle.:rolleyes:

:D

Jets Insider VIP
    two unnecessary personal attacks

no responses from me

thank you

Jets Insider VIP
    as for the train

took it again today

no problems as usual

I took the train for the first time from Larchmont. Super-secret tip: If you have a monthly, you can use it on the leg to Secaucus and you can even show it to the guy at the turnstiles in Secaucus and he will scan you through.

Free trip!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I am going to be up in the Fairfield, County (I think in Norwalk) on Sunday afternoon....does anyone know exactly how to take the train from up there to the Stadium? IIRC, they started having a New Haven train going directly to the Stadium, but that may only be for early games.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3422789]I am going to be up in the Fairfield, County (I think in Norwalk) on Sunday afternoon....does anyone know exactly how to take the train from up there to the Stadium? IIRC, they started having a New Haven train going directly to the Stadium, but that may only be for early games.[/QUOTE]

I believe you are right..that direct train is only for a 1pm start.

Easiest way is to to to GCT and work your way over to Penn Station.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Phoenixx;3422801]I believe you are right..that direct train is only for a 1pm start.

Easiest way is to to to GCT and work your way over to Penn Station.[/QUOTE]

Next question....is there a train station in Norwalk? I just checked the Metro North site and it doesn't seem to have one listed, but it may be under another name that I'm not aware of.

Edit: Check that....its listed under South/East Norwalk.
    Last edited by crasherino; 12-28-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3422868]Next question....is there a train station in Norwalk? I just checked the Metro North site and it doesn't seem to have one listed, but it may be under another name that I'm not aware of.[/QUOTE]

Yes..its called South Norwalk.

Its actually a hub station.