Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking the train to the game?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Taking the train to the game?

Post your experiences, questions and tips for fellow Jets fans here. I got an email from the LIRR - you can buy ONE ticket that is good for the LIRR and NJ train at the ticket machines. Should save a little bit of time.

Jets Insider VIP
    good thread idea, pete

I refused the parking pass for this season and plan to take the train from Bayside Station, Queens to the stadium for every game. So tips will be helpful

Glad you are saying that LIRR is going to sell a ticket for both the LIRR and NJT legs of the trip which will certainly save time

Here is my first tip

Do not buy the 110 buck season pass that was being offered by NJT earlier... First of all, it includes the preseason games (one of those things still remain) and second, it appears that the round trip single day ticket is less than the 11 dollar round trip in the season pass.

Finally, for old geezers like me, you can get a senior ticket for even less

All League
    I live within 5 minutes walking distance to the Hoboken PATH station. A buddy and I pre-gamed at one of the local bars before grabbing a beer for the road at the bar in the train terminal. You can drink on the train ride over and that bar will serve you in a plastic bottle.

From Hoboken, it stops to pick up more people in Secaucus before continuing on to the Meadowlands. Total trip with stop is about 25 minutes. Train drops you off on a pretty nice, but uncovered, platform a couple hundred yards from Gate B. There was a decent sized backup of people getting through the gates for the first preseason game but it still flowed relatively quickly. Total time from leaving Hoboken to sitting in my seats was about 45 minutes, amazing as far as I'm concerned.

Left the game with about a minute remaining in the 4th. Walked directly onto to a waiting train with open doors. There were plenty of free seats and we waited another 5-10 minutes before departing. Again, stops in Secaucus before continuing on, arriving in Hoboken about 25 minutes later. Total time from leaving my stadium seats to sitting at Duffy's and watching the Yankee game, roughly 50 minutes.

Absolutely zero hassle and no switching trains. There is a very high probability that I'll be selling my season parking pass before the Pats game.
    Last edited by ozu; 08-20-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

So ozu, this is a regular-sized NJTransit train(as opposed to double decker or light rail)? About how many cars? From here in JC it's a 7-minute drive if I catch no traffic lights, but as a life-long rail rider I'm intrigued by this trip. I was under the impression there'd be a separate shuttle from Secaucus Junction, that's not the case? 50 minutes from Hoboken sounds a bit rough, and I'm sure a real game will see a more crowded train. The option of having a brew or 3 on the way may be offset by having to wait in line for the restroom car.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=sg3;3217296]good thread idea, pete

I refused the parking pass for this season and plan to take the train from Bayside Station, Queens to the stadium for every game. So tips will be helpful

[B]Glad you are saying that LIRR is going to sell a ticket for both the LIRR and NJT legs of the trip which will certainly save time[/B]

Here is my first tip

Do not buy the 110 buck season pass that was being offered by NJT earlier... First of all, it includes the preseason games (one of those things still remain) and second, it appears that the round trip single day ticket is less than the 11 dollar round trip in the season pass.

Finally, for old geezers like me, you can get a senior ticket for even less[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/lirr/pubs/TrainToTheGame/[/url]

All League
    [QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;3217544]So ozu, this is a regular-sized NJTransit train(as opposed to double decker or light rail)? About how many cars? From here in JC it's a 7-minute drive if I catch no traffic lights, but as a life-long rail rider I'm intrigued by this trip. I was under the impression there'd be a separate shuttle from Secaucus Junction, that's not the case? 50 minutes from Hoboken sounds a bit rough, and I'm sure a real game will see a more crowded train. The option of having a brew or 3 on the way may be offset by having to wait in line for the restroom car.[/QUOTE]
    This a regular sized NJTransit train. I didn't count the cars but I'd imagine somewhere in the 10 vicinity. And if you're leaving from or going back to Hoboken, you don't have to switch trains in Secaucus, anywhere else and you probably do.

50 minutes is counting my time walking to Gate B, hitting the restroom, waiting for the train to close the doors, travel, and then hitting a bar near my place. Actual travel time once the train pulls out is 25 minutes including the Secaucus stop.

I don't doubt that you can get there faster driving to the game, but I don't see any way this doesn't save you loads of time once the game is over. I despise leaving that parking lot. And this way you don't wave to worry about rationing beers during the game and you make it home for most of the 4pm games.

Hello everyone. First time, long time.

I took the train from Fair Lawn, NJ to the Meadowlands. For regular season games I usually park at a nearby bar and take their shuttle back and forth for $15, but I figured I'd test out the train on a preseaon game. (Also, my 8 year old was somewhat hobbled with stitches in his foot, so the train seemed the best way to minimize the amount we'd have to walk).

The trip to the stadium was smooth sailing, had to switch in Secaucus, but there was a train just about to pull out for the Meadowlands once we got there. The Secaucus>Meadowlands train was going very slow but still only took about 10 minutes.

My concern was the return trip. We stayed until the very end of the game, and then probably another 10 minutes on top of that to watch the players go back through the tunnel and try to catch a glove or wristband for my son (no dice on that).

When we got back to the station outside the stadium, they had set up a rope barrier and probably had about 200 people penned up waiting to board the train. My immediate thought was that if they have this kind of a crowd after a preseason game, that it's going to be a zoo after a real game (I even texted my brother as much while waiting in the pen). It turned out not too bad, though. I think they were just boarding one car at a time, because we were only held there for 5 minutes and no trains left while we were standing there.

Unfortunately, I ended up missing the 10:26 Secaucus>Fair Lawn train by 4 minutes and had to wait to get the 11:26. So that kinda sucked.

I'm gonna keep an eye on the crowds at the station and if it's not too bad maybe give it a try during the regular season.

Thinking about taking the train to the Gints/Jets game coming from Long Island City.

I think it is...
    - 7 train to 42nd street
    - 1/2/9 to Penn
    - Train to Saucus
    - Transfer to Meadolands train

Looks like all in all it will be about 45 minutes, which is ok, usually takes 30 in the car.

Going to try it a few times this year before I decide to buy the parking passes next year.

BZ

Jets Insider VIP
    if you are in LIC and near Queensboro Plaza, you might take the N/R to 32 and 6th and walk the one block to Penn.

Does anyone know if all the lines will have a different schedule on game days? For example, I live in Westchester and was thinking of driving to Pearl River, however, it seems like the train runs like every 1.5 hour on Sundays. So there is a big gap in time.
    From there would go to Seacacus and then shuttle to Meadowlands. Any help?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Sec332;3220531]Does anyone know if all the lines will have a different schedule on game days? For example, I live in Westchester and was thinking of driving to Pearl River, however, it seems like the train runs like every 1.5 hour on Sundays. So there is a big gap in time.
    From there would go to Seacacus and then shuttle to Meadowlands. Any help?[/QUOTE]

There is a gameday train from Westchester that will take you to Secaucus Junction and then switch for train to Meadowlands.

Check the MTA site for stations (I think its out of Rye and Larchmont) and times.

Practice Squad
    This is great. I can take the D train From the Bronx to 34th St Path and grab the Path to Hoboken and grab the train to the Medowlands. Or I can take the D to 34th and walk a block to Penn Station, grab the train to Secaucus and tranfer. Whichever would be cheaper for me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=yankeejetsfan;3220568]This is great. I can take the D train From the Bronx to 34th St Path and grab the Path to Hoboken and grab the train to the Medowlands. Or I can take the D to 34th and walk a block to Penn Station, grab the train to Secaucus and [b]tranfer[/b]. Whichever would be cheaper for me.[/QUOTE]No need to transfer at Secaucus from Manhattan or Hoboken.

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;3220700]No need to transfer at Secaucus from Manhattan or Hoboken.[/QUOTE]

Sweet!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;3220700]No need to transfer at Secaucus from Manhattan or Hoboken.[/QUOTE]

that has to be incorrect. NJT is not running trains from Penn Station to Secaucus Junction and then using that same equipment to shuttle from Secaucus to the Meadowlands. I know they've arranged it so you don't have to but two tickets (even on the LIRR and Metronorth) but I don't think there is no change of trains involved at Secaucus

could be wrong though

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

But if coming from NY, you have to transfer at Hoboken, right?

I've only taken the PATH once (drunk), how long does it take to get from 34th St to Hoboken? You still make 4 or 5 stops in NYC, IIRC.

Just wondering if its easier to take the PATH from the city, or to simply take NJTransit to Secaucus and switch there.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=BwanaZulia;3220397]Thinking about taking the train to the Gints/Jets game coming from Long Island City.

I think it is...
    - 7 train to 42nd street
    - 1/2/9 to Penn
    - Train to Saucus
    - Transfer to Meadolands train

Looks like all in all it will be about 45 minutes, which is ok, usually takes 30 in the car.

BZ[/QUOTE]

I'm going to drive to LIC and park there from where I live on the Island.cheaper for me as I don't pay to get on City trains or buses..I think the N train would be faster to get to Penn then the 7. It's only a 1 block walk from 34th street to Penn..I'd park at Willets Point, but I doubt they'll be running the express 7 train for Jet games.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 08-24-2009 at 05:44 PM.

[QUOTE=sg3;3220816]that has to be incorrect. NJT is not running trains from Penn Station to Secaucus Junction and then using that same equipment to shuttle from Secaucus to the Meadowlands. I know they've arranged it so you don't have to but two tickets (even on the LIRR and Metronorth) but I don't think there is no change of trains involved at Secaucus

could be wrong though[/QUOTE]

It appears the shuttle runs from Hoboken, stops at Secaucus, then continues to the Meadowlands.

So, coming from Penn Station to Secaucus via NJT, you're right - you'd have to transfer.

If he went to Hoboken via the Path, though, there would be no need to transfer at Secaucus.

[url]http://www.njtransit.com/var/var_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=MeadowlandsRailJetsTo[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=ozu;3217655]This a regular sized NJTransit train. I didn't count the cars but I'd imagine somewhere in the 10 vicinity. [b]And if you're leaving from or going back to Hoboken, you don't have to switch trains in Secaucus, anywhere else and you probably do.[/b]

[/QUOTE]I'm assuming that the train via Hoboken originates in NY. I was also surprised to hear there was no separate shuttle coming from the east. This guy's done it, so unless he abused the right to drink on the trains, we have to go with what he says.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;3222769]I'm assuming that the train via Hoboken originates in NY. I was also surprised to hear there was no separate shuttle coming from the east. This guy's done it, so unless he abused the right to drink on the trains, we have to go with what he says.[/QUOTE]

I see. Taking PATH instead of NJT from Penn.

Either way, this whole thing sounds very Planes, Trains and Automobilies from East of the Hudson. Interested in seeing how it turns out.