Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking the train to the game?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The PATH is not the same train as the NJT line into the Meadowlands, so if you're taking the PATH into Hoboken from New York, you'll have to make the switch over the NJT Terminal about 50 yards away.

If you're originating from Hoboken, there's no need to change trains in Secaucus.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;3222782]I see. Taking PATH instead of NJT from Penn.

Either way, this whole thing sounds very Planes, Trains and Automobilies from East of the Hudson. Interested in seeing how it turns out.[/QUOTE]Why would you? It might save you a dollar or two, but if you're starting from Penn the NJT is still an easy choice.
    1)You know exactly when the train is leaving, and it's a faster trip
    2)You can have a beer or lunch right up until they call your track

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;3223672]Why would you? It might save you a dollar or two, but if you're starting from Penn the NJT is still an easy choice.
    1)You know exactly when the train is leaving, and it's a faster trip
    2)You can have a beer or lunch right up until they call your track[/QUOTE]

No, I was trying to understand how you could go from NY without transfering at Secaucus.

It appears you cannot. NJT from Penn is the best way to get there unless you are all the way downtown.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    In theory, what's the best way to the stadium from Grand Central Station?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;3223698]No, I was trying to understand how you could go from NY without transfering at Secaucus.

It appears you cannot. NJT from Penn is the best way to get there unless you are all the way downtown.[/QUOTE]

You can, in theory, go from NY without transferring in Secaucus. Specifically, take the PATH to Hoboken, and then transfer IN HOBOKEN to the train to the game which stops at Secaucus then continues through to the Meadowlands.

Look at the map at njtransit.com

Of course, coming from Penn Station this doesn't make sense for the reasons noted above. Also, why go past Secaucus only to come back through it. But technically, yeah, you can get to the stadium without transferring at Secaucus.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;3223713]In theory, what's the best way to the stadium from Grand Central Station?[/QUOTE]7 or S to 42nd, *any yellow train* to Herald Sq. PATH to Hoboken. NJ Transit to Meadowlands. This trip takes 58 minutes in train time(not including how long you have to wait for transfers).

The other option from 42nd is *red train* to Penn Station, and NJT to Seacaucus, change there. No time to calculate this one now.

BTW, I was wrong in assuming the NY NJT train goes through Hoboken. Anyone coming through NYPenn should probably still take the NJT to Secaucus, assuming the transfer times are well-coordinated. Only if that's not the case can Hoboken/PATH be considered.
    Last edited by JumbalayaJet; 08-25-2009 at 06:10 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2009fatman;3220950]I'm going to drive to LIC and park there from where I live on the Island.cheaper for me as I don't pay to get on City trains or buses..I think the N train would be faster to get to Penn then the 7. It's only a 1 block walk from 34th street to Penn..I'd park at Willets Point, but I doubt they'll be running the express 7 train for Jet games.[/QUOTE]

If you can drive into Douglaston, Littleneck, Bayside, Auburndale or one of the stations on the Port Washington line in Queens, you can get a Cityticket to Penn Station for 3.50 each way and be there im 25 minutes... plus it runs every half hour all weekends including Sunday

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3224027]If you can drive into Douglaston, Littleneck, Bayside, Auburndale or one of the stations on the Port Washington line in Queens, you can get a Cityticket to Penn Station for 3.50 each way and be there im 25 minutes... plus it runs every half hour all weekends including Sunday[/QUOTE]

The ticket from Bayside to Penn is MTA or LIRR?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    LIRR - city ticket 3.50 each way

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3226650]LIRR - city ticket 3.50 each way[/QUOTE]

Thanks, That's a better option then driving all the way into LIC and parking there.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2009fatman;3226681]Thanks, That's a better option then driving all the way into LIC and parking there.[/QUOTE]

and by extension, if you want to minimize your driving, you can also drive to Port Washington, Great Neck or Manhasset. Parking isn't an issue at those places on the weekend - at least in Manhasset it isn't.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3226689]and by extension, if you want to minimize your driving, you can also drive to Port Washington, Great Neck or Manhasset. Parking isn't an issue at those places on the weekend - at least in Manhasset it isn't.[/QUOTE]

I think Manhasset might be even better...I just want to avoid taking the The port Jeff line, and having to change at Jamaca..Taking 25a to Manhasset from my house isn't more then a 20 minute drive...I'm just going to the Pat game this year, but now my kid wants to go to the game this week..I'll try it for the upcoming game and see how it works.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 08-27-2009 at 04:21 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    when the train was initially announced it looked like you had to buy a season pass. It sounds like from what I see posted here you can buy a single game day only pass, right?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;3223713]In theory, what's the best way to the stadium from Grand Central Station?[/QUOTE]

:shakehead...had to be difficult. Couldn't just ask from Greenwich, CT could you?

Anyhow, what IS the best public transportation route to the game from Greenwich or Stamford, CT?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;3226772]:shakehead...had to be difficult. Couldn't just ask from Greenwich, CT could you?

Anyhow, what IS the best public transportation route to the game from Greenwich or Stamford, CT?[/QUOTE]

The New Haven line will have a train going directly into Secaucus for gameday. Google it to find the actual details - I read about it a while ago, but can't remember the specifics. Don't even have to switch at Penn, from what I recall.

Great development for the Westchester/CT fans.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you have an LIRR monthly, Manhasset or any of the Nassau stations on the Port Washington line are fine but you can only get a 3.50 city ticket from stations Little Neck west which are within NYC

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=tedtedthefootballhead;3226761]when the train was initially announced it looked like you had to buy a season pass. It sounds like from what I see posted here you can buy a single game day only pass, right?[/QUOTE]Correct. You can walk up to an NJT booth and buy a single round trip.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ozu;3227212]Correct. You can walk up to an NJT booth and buy a single round trip.[/QUOTE]

the season pass for 110 bucks was a bad financial idea from the gitgo since 1) you paid for two exhibition games you probably weren't attending and 2) since the 11 bucks a game is apparently more than what the round trip fare costs at NJT on a single game basis

plus for those other old geezers out there, there is a senior fare available that is even less costly

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3226937]If you have an LIRR monthly, Manhasset or any of the Nassau stations on the Port Washington line are fine but you can only get a 3.50 city ticket from stations Little Neck west which are within NYC[/QUOTE]

They Bayside station is close to Bell blvd..correct?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bell and 41st Avenue

the one I will be using. Don't you dare glomm on to my parking space

:):):)