Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Before Jordan was Jordan there was....

  1. #1
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Before Jordan was Jordan there was....

    David Thompson, ACC all American from NC State to deliver induction speech for Michael Jordan. WOW!

    Jordan just moved above the stratosphere in my mind to pay tribute to the man who inspired him to be the man he is.

    Google, David Thompson and learn about a GREAT Wolfpack player.

    GO PACK!

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jordan was the greatest ever.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    7,585
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Jordan was the greatest ever.
    Without a doubt.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Without a doubt.
    Too bad I had to watch this guy c*ck block my Knicks several different years in the 90's. If it wasn't for Jordan no doubt Patrick Ewing has at least 1 ring.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    7,585
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Too bad I had to watch this guy c*ck block my Knicks several different years in the 90's. If it wasn't for Jordan no doubt Patrick Ewing has at least 1 ring.
    +1

    I remember Jordan bringing me to tears when I was 5 or 6 years old, wearing my Ewing jersey.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,322
    Post Thanks / Like
    where is Kobe24?

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    +1

    I remember Jordan bringing me to tears when I was 5 or 6 years old, wearing my Ewing jersey.
    I hear ya. These Jets fans who hate on Brady, unless they were also Knick fans in the 90's they have no idea what it really is like to have your dreams and hopes crushed by one single individual every single year.

    Jets have had how many truly champsonship caliber teams this decade? I guess you can count our team in '04 and we definitely looked super bowl worthy for 12 weeks in 2008. Other than that I never have thought during this decade we had a team that could really win it all.

    Knicks were an elite NBA team and title contender from when Pat Riley arrived in '91 all the way to 2000 and during that time Jordan won 6 championships. That is quintessiontial dream destruction.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    7,585
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    I hear ya. These Jets fans who hate on Brady, unless they were also Knick fans in the 90's they have no idea what it really is like to have your dreams and hopes crushed by one single individual every single year.

    Jets have had how many truly champsonship caliber teams this decade? I guess you can count our team in '04 and we definitely looked super bowl worthy for 12 weeks in 2008. Other than that I never have thought during this decade we had a team that could really win it all.

    Knicks were an elite NBA team and title contender from when Pat Riley arrived in '91 all the way to 2000 and during that time Jordan won 6 championships. That is quintessiontial dream destruction.
    You can't say it any better than that. Absolutely agree 100%.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jordan was different. You knew you had no chance to beat him in the postseason. I loved the Knicks back then but it always felt hollow knowing he was basically impossible to beat. I still get mad thinking about 94.

    Today, Kobe and Lebron are tough to beat but it's not an impossible task. Jordan in his prime really was unbeatable.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Jordan was different. You knew you had no chance to beat him in the postseason. I loved the Knicks back then but it always felt hollow knowing he was basically impossible to beat. I still get mad thinking about 94.

    Today, Kobe and Lebron are tough to beat but it's not an impossible task. Jordan in his prime really was unbeatable.
    YES but what REALLY ABSOLUTELY sucked was 94-95 when MICHAEL played baseball and we had Houston. Up 3 to 2 and lost.

    the Rangers won the cup that year and MSG was ROCKIN!!!!

    That was a real heart breaker that had NOTHING to do with Michael.

    I loved the Starks, Oakley, Ewing era.....

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,756
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    I hear ya. These Jets fans who hate on Brady, unless they were also Knick fans in the 90's they have no idea what it really is like to have your dreams and hopes crushed by one single individual every single year.

    Jets have had how many truly champsonship caliber teams this decade? I guess you can count our team in '04 and we definitely looked super bowl worthy for 12 weeks in 2008. Other than that I never have thought during this decade we had a team that could really win it all.

    Knicks were an elite NBA team and title contender from when Pat Riley arrived in '91 all the way to 2000 and during that time Jordan won 6 championships. That is quintessiontial dream destruction.
    Look, let's not forget what Larry Bird did to us a decade earlier...without him, who knows, we may have one a title in the 80's

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Winter Springs, Fl
    Posts
    1,361
    Post Thanks / Like
    DR J

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Blinka View Post
    DR J
    Thanks, Stan. I was just about to post the names of two immortals before Jordan, Erving and Connie "The Hawk" Hawkins. I still remember going to the LI Coliseum to watch the Nets with "The Doctor" (with his trademark windmill slams), Larry Kenon, and the rest. The dunking drill left us speechless.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpTfb9SkKaQ

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z5l583fXmM

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfield County, CT
    Posts
    6,870
    Post Thanks / Like
    Getting back on topic.

    David Thompson was a College Basketball God !!

    As a staunch supporter of the Walton Gang, it still pains me but..

    March 23, 1974 was the greatest College Basketball game I ever saw.


  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    Getting back on topic.

    David Thompson was a College Basketball God !!

    As a staunch supporter of the Walton Gang, it still pains me but..

    March 23, 1974 was the greatest College Basketball game I ever saw.

    David Thompson lives here in Charlotte and on occasion plays pick up at the down town Y. Almost 60 and he blows these young kids away. I saw him ONCE in pick up, didn't know who he was but the crowd was pretty big.
    Once I was told why the crowd was big, i stayed 10 minutes or so. Pretty incredible to watch him. Even today.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    Look, let's not forget what Larry Bird did to us a decade earlier...without him, who knows, we may have one a title in the 80's
    Didn't really follow b-ball in the 80's? Did the Knicks have any great teams back then? I know Bernard King led the league in scoring 1 year and we had Ewing and Mark Jackson later on but there were three powerhouse dynasties with the Lakers, Celtics and Pistons.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    David Thompson, ACC all American from NC State to deliver induction speech for Michael Jordan. WOW!

    Jordan just moved above the stratosphere in my mind to pay tribute to the man who inspired him to be the man he is.

    Google, David Thompson and learn about a GREAT Wolfpack player.

    GO PACK!
    Michael was a State fan growing up and supposedly wanted to go to State. Thankfully he made the right decision

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Too bad I had to watch this guy c*ck block my Knicks several different years in the 90's. If it wasn't for Jordan no doubt Patrick Ewing has at least 1 ring.
    Patrick and the Knicks had basically 2 chances w/o him when he retired(when he came back late in '95 he wasn't fully back yet) and they didn't win. The Knicks likely wouldn't have won a Championship w/ or w/o Jordan. The best chance they had was '93 and i think Phoenix would have beaten the Knicks in the Finals had they met.

    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    I hear ya. These Jets fans who hate on Brady, unless they were also Knick fans in the 90's they have no idea what it really is like to have your dreams and hopes crushed by one single individual every single year.

    Jets have had how many truly champsonship caliber teams this decade? I guess you can count our team in '04 and we definitely looked super bowl worthy for 12 weeks in 2008. Other than that I never have thought during this decade we had a team that could really win it all.

    Knicks were an elite NBA team and title contender from when Pat Riley arrived in '91 all the way to 2000 and during that time Jordan won 6 championships. That is quintessiontial dream destruction.
    It's basically the same thing. What year would the Knicks have won if Michael wasn't around?

    1992? No, Cle and Port were better
    1993? MAYBE but I think Phoenix was better
    1996? Not a chance
    1997? Nope
    1998? No way

    Knick fans like to use the Jordan excuse but in reality he MAY have prevented them from possibly winning one title.

    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    Look, let's not forget what Larry Bird did to us a decade earlier...without him, who knows, we may have one a title in the 80's
    The Knicks stunk most of the 80s, Bird and Boston didn't prevent them from winning a title.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    Patrick and the Knicks had basically 2 chances w/o him when he retired(when he came back late in '95 he wasn't fully back yet) and they didn't win. The Knicks likely wouldn't have won a Championship w/ or w/o Jordan. The best chance they had was '93 and i think Phoenix would have beaten the Knicks in the Finals had they met.



    It's basically the same thing. What year would the Knicks have won if Michael wasn't around?

    1992? No, Cle and Port were better
    1993? MAYBE but I think Phoenix was better
    1996? Not a chance
    1997? Nope
    1998? No way

    Knick fans like to use the Jordan excuse but in reality he MAY have prevented them from possibly winning one title.
    And that's your opinion but the fact remains the Knicks were an elite team that was a title contender for most of those years especially '93 (60 wins) and '97 (57 wins and played very well against the Bulls that season). Everyone thought the Lakers were better than the Celtics in 2008.

    In '92 the Knicks were literally a hair away from beating the Bulls - they won game 1 and almost won game 2. Jordan and the Bulls eliminated the Knicks 4 times during the 90's while winning 6 championships. If that's not one organization being owned by another what is?

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    And that's your opinion but the fact remains the Knicks were an elite team that was a title contender for most of those years especially '93 (60 wins) and '97 (57 wins and played very well against the Bulls that season). Everyone thought the Lakers were better than the Celtics in 2008.

    In '92 the Knicks were literally a hair away from beating the Bulls - they won game 1 and almost won game 2. Jordan and the Bulls eliminated the Knicks 4 times during the 90's while winning 6 championships. If that's not one organization being owned by another what is?
    '93 is really the only year Knick fans can make a claim and again I think Phoenix was better.

    In '97 the Knicks didn't even win their division and there's no way the '97 Knicks beat the Jazz in the Finals if they get there.

    In '92 they had a surprise run and gave the Bulls a great series but that team wasn't beating Cleveland in the conf finals or Portland in the Finals.

    Chicago did own the Knicks but to act like the Knicks automatically win titles if the Bulls aren't there is incorrect especially since we saw that not being the case in '94 and '95 PLUS the Bulls in '94 w/o Michael took the Knicks to Game 7.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us