Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The New York Jets will start the season 0-5.

All League

The New York Jets will start the season 0-5.

[B]The New York Jets will start the season 0-5.[/B]
    by Peter Schrager
    [URL="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10009742/Top-10-bold-NFL-predictions-for-2009?GT1=39002"]Link[/URL]

What's that? Someone in the media speaking somewhat negatively about Rex Ryan's boys? No flipping way, that's impossible!

Listen, I understand that coach Ryan's personality and media accessibility is a welcome change from the silent treatment Eric Mangini gave New York-area scribes for the past three years, but that doesn't mean everyone needs to trick themselves into thinking this team can survive a brutal September schedule with a rookie quarterback manning the ship.

They won't.

A Week 1 nationally-televised trip to Houston will be anything but a walk in the park, back-to-back home games versus the Patriots and Titans are almost automatic losses and road games in New Orleans and Miami in Weeks 4 and 5 will more than likely feature the Jets as underdogs as well.

Jets fans, I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, here. Really, I'm not. I'm just being a realist.

Your local media's let you down, awed and dazzled by a head coach that looks them in the eye during press conferences and gives them the occasional juicy quote. That might make for good copy. But it doesn't guarantee a good start to what will be nothing short of a gauntlet to start the season.

0-5? For a team that everyone's seemingly really high on in 2009?

Yes, I think so.

Who is this tool ??

Btw, I like Adam Schein's article better about how Sanchez will lead the Jets to the playoffs. He's also a tool though. :D

[B]Jets 9-7 (Wild Card)[/B]
    Is Rex Ryan full of hot air or simply ahead of the curve? I think it's a wonderful combination of the two for Jets fans. Ryan added credibility and life to the Jets. Look for David Harris and Kerry Rhodes to take steps forward. The New York defense is going to pressure the quarterback and change games this year. And with Thomas Jones and Leon Washington, the Jets have one of the most cohesive offensive lines and running attacks in the league more than enough to help out neophyte Mark Sanchez in his first NFL season. Is this a risky pick? No question. But I really think the attitude for the team is different, and the defense and run game will bloody the opposition.

Jets Insider VIP
    Debbie Downer, no

Debbie Dumbass, yes

GFY Peter Schrager, who is this guy, i've never heard of him? Adam Shein is a tool but a like him (no ghey)

All League
    Child please

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=JetBidi]But I really think the attitude for the team is different, and the defense and run game will bloody the opposition.[/QUOTE]

I love the way he (Schein) put this

Unfortunately its quite possible.

Jets Insider VIP
    Hey, this is great.

The national sports media has usually taken a crap on the Jets prediction wise since 1999.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SMC;3244188]Hey, this is great.

The national sports media has usually taken a crap on the Jets prediction wise since 1999.[/QUOTE]

This has been going on a lot longer then 1999. Remember when Paul Mcguire & other national media would weekly pick against the 1986 Jets. Of course the big one when the Jets were huge underdogs to win super Bowl III. It is part of the Jets mantra to be the underdog

Veteran
    Objectively, I can't see us winning weeks 2 or 4 (at NE and NO). I can't really see us losing week 5 (at Miami, largely because I think the wildcat will have been figured out, and I just don't think they're that good). So the Titans and Texans games will be huge, and I think we'll know alot more after week 1

So if the Jets win week 1 against the Texans should we all send him a nice little email?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    This guys is a tool.

Can't wait to throw it back in his face.

Jets Insider VIP
    The schedule is "sort of" tough but 0-5? come on.

What does that say about Buffalo, our game 6 opponent!

In short, Eff him!!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I love it.

Its a not unrealistic assessment that we can blow up with some hard, smart football, luck and did I say luck?

No one in there right mind would pick a rookie HC and QB to win tough games.

Except Homers!:yes:

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=JetBidi;3244157]

What's that? Someone in the media speaking somewhat negatively about Rex Ryan's boys? No flipping way, that's impossible!

[/QUOTE]

I see the Jets at 5-11 with a 1-4 start. This isn't rocket science. Rookie HC, rookie QB, no #1 WR, grumpy RB's, paper-thin depth on the lines, old guys at key positions, lame kickers who'll kill us when field position means everything, brand new D that empowers players to make decisions coming off of Mangini's gestapo.

We will be underdogs in our first 5 games. 1-4 is pretty good, actually.

SAR I

last year we beat new england and undeafeated tennessee back to back, and now that is all forgotten.

having said that, talk is cheap. until the jets go and kick everyone's ass and win a title, this bulls@it year after year will continue.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3244328]The schedule is "sort of" tough but 0-5? come on.

What does that say about Buffalo, our game 6 opponent!

In short, Eff him!!![/QUOTE]

I've seen better Jets teams with lesser expectations open 1-4 or worse. The 2001 Testaverde Jets were a playoff team. Only 2002 Pennington turned that pathetic start around.

Tell me where the Jets are guaranteed to dominate at any phase of the game.

For every "look at our special teams!" comment you make, I'll point out that field position is the only way for us to be successful and that our kickers suck in that regard.

For every "look at our RB's!" comment, I'll point out that with both Martin and Jordan in the backfield, plenty of teams put 11 in the box, dared our QB to beat them, and were successful.

For every "our D will rule like the Ravens!" comment, I'll point out that we are one Jenkins knee injury away from ruination and that we don't have proven "thinkers" in the secondary to handle Ryan's empowerment.

For every "our QB will be the next Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco" comment, I'll point out that we have no #1 WR on the roster and a TE that can be eliminated on any play because he's going to be defending the 11 man blitz on every down.

5-11 at best. Be happily surprised with something better.

SAR I

All League
    Look, the season starts this week, hack writers all over the country are making their "predictions" one guy says 0-5 another says 5-0, take them all with a grain of salt. With that being said my "hack" opinion is 1-4 or 2-3 at best. Rookie QB, head coach, and new D system, we will struggle.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=zachsjethouse;3244347]last year we beat new england and undeafeated tennessee back to back, and now that is all forgotten.

having said that, talk is cheap. until the jets go and kick everyone's ass and win a title, this bulls@it year after year will continue.[/QUOTE]

Brett Favre playing at his 13-3 MVP best isn't a fair comparison to Mark Sanchez getting his diapers wet in his first few games.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3244351]I've seen better Jets teams with lesser expectations open 1-4 or worse. The 2001 Testaverde Jets were a playoff team. Only 2002 Pennington turned that pathetic start around.

Tell me where the Jets are guaranteed to dominate at any phase of the game.

For every "look at our special teams!" comment you make, I'll point out that field position is the only way for us to be successful and that our kickers suck in that regard.

For every "look at our RB's!" comment, I'll point out that with both Martin and Jordan in the backfield, plenty of teams put 11 in the box, dared our QB to beat them, and were successful.

For every "our D will rule like the Ravens!" comment, I'll point out that we are one Jenkins knee injury away from ruination and that we don't have proven "thinkers" in the secondary to handle Ryan's empowerment.

For every "our QB will be the next Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco" comment, I'll point out that we have no #1 WR on the roster and a TE that can be eliminated on any play because he's going to be defending the 11 man blitz on every down.

5-11 at best. Be happily surprised with something better.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

SAR I

Sad but true.... I remember in 98, sitting in a nice resort bar in Myrtle Beach when we lost the 1st game (SF I think), I thought to my self, WE SUCK.

Who knew?

That's the kind of surprise I would like. I am hoping for 8 and 8 but we'll see.

I am more excited by the fact that we found a new JET bar with other fans.:D

Jets go 9 - 7 this year :yes:

The smiley is my serious face, if I was kidding I would have used this one :D