Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The New York Jets will start the season 0-5.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dynamic Hip Screw;3244385]

Sar I, I think you should cheer for a different team... You make solid points, but your continued "realism" is downright depressing and cannot be good for your well-being.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/jetsgoggles.jpg[/IMG]

Take these off. It's okay sometimes. There are years where you get excited, years where you are gloom-and-doom, and years where you take a wait-and-see approach. This is a wait-and-see year. Odds are very much against us. But, hey, Brady goes down again, Penny gets the inevitable arm injury again, Sanchez gets hot early, WHAM, we win the division.

Until then, off. Take them. Off.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hold on here. Texans, Dolphins and Saints are ok teams but far from dominant.

Pats are suspect and have alot of question marks.

and any team led by Kerry Collins in not a threat.

We could go 5-0 as easily as going 0-5.

Sorry but I just dont see a team on this list that can outright dominate us.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;3244531]OK, I'll bite . . .

that's our record after doing WHAT against the Pats?[/QUOTE]

1 & 1

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3244429]Favre sucked for the most part last year, especially in the crucial stretch of the season. Minus the Arizona game, he had 16 TD's, 22 INT's.

If Sanchez finishes somewhere close to Matt Ryan's 16 TD, 11 INT rookie season, both the offense and defense will benefit a lot compared to last season. Really the INT total is more important than the TD total - Favre's boneheaded heaves to the defensive players were demoralizing.[/QUOTE]

The OP was referring to back-to-back wins over the New England Almost Undefeateds and Tennessee Previously Undefeateds as if Sanchez can do the same thing in Weeks 2 and 3 which is a tall order.

The only way we can have a winning record this year is if:

1. We get off to a 2-3 start.

2. Tom Brady gets hurt.

3. Chad Penne gets hurt (a given).

4. Wildcat is neutralized by Raven.

5. Defense is Top 5 material.

6. Falcons, Saints, and Panthers all take steps backwards.

7. Mark Sanchez becomes Dan Marino '83.

Now, most think that Sanchez just has to be a good game manager, not get us into turnover trouble, be safe, and let the D win the games. Me, I see it differently. I see a team struggling to adapt to its new schemes, crippled by suspensions early, crippled by Jenkins fade late, with a very tough schedule and teams putting 11-in-the-box and blitzing us like mad. And that team can only survive by letting Sanchez air it out, taking what the defenses are giving him. And that's a recipe for trouble for any rookie.

It's how teams beat Penne for all those years, remember? Commit to taking away the run, stuff Curtis Martin dead in his tracks. Force Chad to beat you. Force him to run from the rush, force him to throw too much, force the OC to abandon the run early, watch Chad implode from the pressure. The only difference this year is that we're trading a Noodle for a Newb. Same result, unfortunately.

Rooting for the Jets in 2009 is really rooting for the Jets of 2011. This season its all about getting the pieces in place and getting the rook HC and rook QB their hard knocks so we come out storming in 2011 when Parcells is retired, Brown is gimpy, Belichick is in the studio, Brady is trade bait.

2011. That's what 2009 is all about.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;3244523]Yeah, I know.

I mentioned 1999, though, because that was the last year the national sports media predicted that the Jets would have a winning record.[/QUOTE]

We were supposed to be SB contenders in 2005, 14 players ended up on IR if I remember correctly :(

That said, the Jets tend to do better when the "experts" predict that we'll suck so I'm looking forward to seeing what this years team can do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I kind of agree. We're 0-5 or 1-4 at best to start. Sorry, guys, it's just realistic given the circumstances.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3244541]Hold on here. Texans, Dolphins and Saints are ok teams but far from dominant.

Pats are suspect and have alot of question marks.

and any team led by Kerry Collins in not a threat.

We could go 5-0 as easily as going 0-5.

Sorry but I just dont see a team on this list that can outright dominate us.[/QUOTE]

[U]Offensive Doom[/U]:

11 in the box.

TE kept in to block blitzers.

RB's no lanes to run.

WR's no threat, single covered.

Rook QB scrambling for his life, occassionally hitting a dump off.

[U]Defensive Doom[/U]:

Aggressive schemes easily destroyed by superior QB's (Brady, Brees) and gagdetry (Brown's Wildcat).

Rex Ryan's defense wasn't born overnight in Baltimore. Been around since 1998 with many of the same Hall Of Fame caliber players in place.

Ryan's D is about quick-thinking-on-their-feet improvisation. Our LB's and secondary were reared on the Eric Mangini afraid-of-own-shadow approach.

Heavy blitz rotations leave undersized CB's on an island, Kerry Rhodes is not a great player.

[U]Special Teams Doom[/U]:

It's all about field position. Our K has no range and likes planting kickoffs out of bounds. Our P is amongst the worst in the league no matter which scrub is back there.

Leon Washington is getting more reps on offense (yes!) which means he'll be more tired and/or subbed on K and P returns (boo).

[U]Coaching Doom[/U]:

Rex Ryan, rookie. Chip on shoulder. Used to instant success. How will he react under pressure? How many riverboat gambles will cost us games? How is he with clock management? Challenges? The basics? Who knows?

Mike Pettine. Who?

Brian Schottenheimer. Hasn't won anything, rookie QB, no #1 WR.

[U]Schedule Doom[/U]:

Very hard schedule, a loss to Houston virtually ends our season.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3244565]Very hard schedule, [B]a loss to Houston virtually ends our season[/B].

SAR I[/QUOTE]

LOL

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3244549]We were supposed to be SB contenders in 2005, 14 players ended up on IR if I remember correctly :(

That said, the Jets tend to do better when the "experts" predict that we'll suck so I'm looking forward to seeing what this years team can do.[/QUOTE]

The national sports media didn't pic the Jets to be SB contenders in 2005. The local media may have, but not the national.

And, yeah, the experts always predict the Jets will suck.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Guido Monzino;3244559]I kind of agree. We're 0-5 or 1-4 at best to start. Sorry, guys, it's just realistic given the circumstances.[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mark Sanchez has had 1 TD in the preseason while playing against the opponents starters and it was a high-risk midfield Hail Mary bomb to Stuckey against the Giants.

He's looked good....do NOT misunderstand. But against first string defenses playing vanilla preseason schemes, he's looked like nothing special. Blitz happy Texans. Patriots. Best-record-in-NFL Titans. Pass happy high-scoring Saints. Ricky's Dolphins in the Miami heat. Sorry.....me no likey.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't care if the "experts" predict that the Jets will suck (they always do).

But what bugs me is that they always pick against the Jets and then act surprised when a team such as the Bills suck.

HELLO? Were you not paying attention to the Bills putrid Oline? Them not scoring an offensive TD in the preseason?? The firing of their OC???

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;3244523]Yeah, I know.

I mentioned 1999, though, because that was the last year the national sports media predicted that the Jets would have a winning record.[/QUOTE]

It seems the Jets have always played better when they are the underdog lets hope this is another one of those years

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;3244575]The national sports media didn't pic the Jets to be SB contenders in 2005. The local media may have, but not the national.

And, yeah, the experts always predict the Jets will suck.[/QUOTE]

Then there's the "Jets Rookie HC Gets Lucky" theory which goes....

2000: Rookie Al Groh opens 7-1, almost makes playoffs, was in the mix in Week 17.

2001: Rookie Herman Edwards eeks out wildcard spot in first year.

2006: Rookie Eric Mangini eeks out wildcard spot in first year.

Well, Groh inherited Testaverde with some tread on the tires. Edwards got VT's last decent year and switched to hot Penne in Year 2. Mangini had the easiest schedule in Jets history along with an uninjured Chad.

Ryan is inheriting an 8-3 headcase that didn't make the playoffs and a rookie QB with a very hard schedule.

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/novato.jpg[/IMG]

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It will be a rough go for Sanchez this year, but it supposed to be. But i do predict great progress by week 17

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder where these chowd trolls will run off and hide at after the Jets kick the crap out of their cheating douchebags in week 2

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3244658]I wonder where these chowd trolls will run off and hide at after the Jets kick the crap out of their cheating douchebags in week 2[/QUOTE]

Let's see....past what, 6 years, the Jets have "kicked the crap" out of the Patriots exactly 2 times. Once on a muddy field in a hurricane, the second time with Favre and without Brady. That's 2-10.

You heard the "kiss the rings" speech a bit too many times. Pray for rain and injury. That's our only chance.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3244658]I wonder where these chowd trolls will run off and hide at after the Jets kick the crap out of their cheating douchebags in week 2[/QUOTE]

Same place I have been for the past several years.

Here :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3244535][IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/jetsgoggles.jpg[/IMG]

Take these off. It's okay sometimes. There are years where you get excited, years where you are gloom-and-doom, and years where you take a wait-and-see approach. This is a wait-and-see year. Odds are very much against us. But, hey, Brady goes down again, Penny gets the inevitable arm injury again, Sanchez gets hot early, WHAM, we win the division.

Until then, off. Take them. Off.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

What hind of glasses were you wearing when you saw teams put 11 in the box when the Jets had Vinny, CM and Jordan?

[IMG]http://melbomusic.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/raycharles1.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3244582][B]Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mark Sanchez has had 1 TD in the preseason while playing against the opponents starters and it was a high-risk midfield Hail Mary bomb to Stuckey against the Giants.[/B]

He's looked good....do NOT misunderstand. But against first string defenses playing vanilla preseason schemes, he's looked like nothing special. Blitz happy Texans. Patriots. Best-record-in-NFL Titans. Pass happy high-scoring Saints. Ricky's Dolphins in the Miami heat. Sorry.....me no likey.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Stand corrected, you're wrong. There was no risk in that pass. he was wide open, the play was being able to evade the rush and find the wide open Stucky and deliver the ball. He was W I D E open.

Giants played their starters into the 3rd, he hung 20 pts on the Giants. In less than a quarter he scored 7 in Baltimore. In one drive he scored TD's against the Rams and Eagles. Parcells most important requirement. Score points and don't turn the ball over.

He averaged a ton of yardage per pass. He completed over 60% of his passes and had a QB rating of over 111.

Instead of moaning about what you think he didn't do, why not focus on what he did right.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 09-08-2009 at 10:17 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess they shouldnt bother taking the field...