Thread: Time to rise: We can beat the Patriots

Time to rise: We can beat the Patriots

This is the same position Mangini was in 2006. We won the opener in Tennessee, and then came home to play the Patriots. Chad heroically came up short, with Coles, Cotchery and company, and we went on to be 10-6 that year.

This year we're more real, but with a rookie QB. He's going to make mistakes against the Pats. Here's how we do it:

1. Do you think the Pats can run against us? Only on the corners.

2. Put Revis on Welker and double Moss. Faulk, Watson and the rest will have to step up.

3. Do what we did to Schaub to Brady. After watching last night's game, Brady still isn't 100%, although he's still better than most at 90%. Blitz the crap out of him and make him rush his throws. This will be good for at least 1 INT.

4. Run the ball, and don't give up on it. Let them stack the box, we'll protect Sanchez, he can pick them apart with Stuckey, Cotch, Keller and Washington. You're going to see a dose of Shonn Greene in this game.

5. ADAPT to everything. BB is going to try to stay one step ahead of us, this is what killed us every year. Rex can do this, he HAS done this. He was 5 steps ahead of the Texans.

I believe we can do this. It's going to be a hell of a game. Our guys are already fired up, and the Pats are licking their wounds and not firing right.

Let's kick Brady in the teeth and earn a W in a big way.

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

Patriots 17
    Jets 27

Jets Insider VIP
    as I have been saying for months

their defense is decimated and subpar

and

they have NO running game

and when Tomi the fag has to throw the ball 50 times against our Defense he is going to go DOWN AND OUT

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]This is the same position Mangini was in 2006. We won the opener in Tennessee, and then came home to play the Patriots. Chad heroically came up short, with Coles, Cotchery and company, and we went on to be 10-6 that year.

This year we're more real, but with a rookie QB. He's going to make mistakes against the Pats. Here's how we do it:

1. Do you think the Pats can run against us? Only on the corners.[/quote]

Agreed. Moron-ey was not so impressive last night.

[quote]
    2. Put Revis on Welker and double Moss. Faulk, Watson and the rest will have to step up.
    [/quote]

Not sure about this. Moss may be better contained in single coverage by Revis than by doubles of mere mortals. Tight end also looked good last night. "Faulk, Watson and the rest" CAN step up, so we can't cash all our chips in on Moss and Welker.

[quote]
    3. Do what we did to Schaub to Brady. After watching last night's game, Brady still isn't 100%, although he's still better than most at 90%. Blitz the crap out of him and make him rush his throws. This will be good for at least 1 INT.
    [/quote]

[b]Hell's Yeah![/b] Prevent defense prevented a win last night.

[quote]
    4. Run the ball, and don't give up on it. Let them stack the box, we'll protect Sanchez, he can pick them apart with Stuckey, Cotch, Keller and Washington. You're going to see a dose of Shonn Greene in this game.
    [/quote]

[b]Hell's Yeah![/b] Pats D looked soft against the run (and I don't think it was just the uniforms). :D Pats won't score while the Jets have the ball and the clock keeps running.

[quote]
    5. ADAPT to everything. BB is going to try to stay one step ahead of us, this is what killed us every year. Rex can do this, he HAS done this. He was 5 steps ahead of the Texans.
    [/quote]

I agree that we can stay ahead, however, what I saw last night was that when the Bills stayed with their game plan, the Pats were losing. The moment (under 6 minutes left) when they tried to protect the lead, boom..."Tom Terrific".

ADAPT while staying [b]aggressive for four quarters[/b]...I believe that is Ryan football. More games than not you'll win this way. Ryan can handle the heat from press and fans for those times you lose being aggressive.

GG

All Pro
    The Bills lost that game every bit as much as Brady won it, but laying back and containing. I have to say, bad teams somehow find a way to lose. If McKelvin simply puts a knee down, the Bills force the Pats to use TO's and put them deep in their own territory with about a minute to go. Sad game by the Bills, who just folded at the end.

If we can get pressure early on Brady and disrupt his timing on those short to medium routes then i can see the jets taking the game away from the pats. Jenkins will be a huge factor and with ellis coming back i can only see the jets d improving. Revis will shut down moss..fact! :D With an aging pats D jones will run then down for washington to make those big plays. I liked the no huddle offense used by the bills last night, at times the pats D really looked like it was struggling... maybe we will see more of it come gameday?!?!? :)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    The Bills put up 24 points on the Pats and moved the ball effectively down the field, had it not have been for a botched special teams play would have most likely won that game in the Patriots own back yard.

As expected, the Pats defense looked pretty ordinary, they are missing Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour & Harrison alot.

The Bills were getting to Tom Brady, hitting him & knocking him down several times throughout the game.

So long as Sanchez can avoid making any bad decisions & not turn the ball over, we should win this game handily.

If the Jets don't beat the Pats this Sunday, I will be very disappointed, this game is there for the taking.

I say let Revis stay on Moss all night. Revis know's Moss good by now, and should be able to take him out for most of the game.

I think they can do a good job with Lito and Strickland against Welker. With Welker you just have to make sure you make the tackle, and not miss on that first move of the screen, otherwise he is gonnnnne. And they both did a pretty good job of tackling last game so...

Hall Of Fame
    I'm not sure if man coverage is the answer against the bubble screens they run to Welker. Sure tackling will be more the key there. The Jets would be matter served to match up Revis against Moss, and have a CB or S who is a GOOD tackler spy Welker to hit him as soon as he catches those quick passes.
    Last edited by Cole; 09-15-2009 at 08:50 AM.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Colemonster;3255374]I'm not sure if man coverage is the answer against the bubble screens they run to Welker. [B]Sure tackling will be more the key there.[/B] The Jets would be matter served to match up Revis against Moss, and have a CB or S who is a GOOD tackler spy Welker to hit him as soon as he catches those quick passes.[/QUOTE]

This can not go understated. Welker makes a living with the yac, and making the first guy miss. He also never gets jammed at the line. I would like to get physical with welker and see if he can take a punch in the mouht.

Also we have to be careful with blitz's because Brady is a well know blitz beater. Jenkins is THE MOST IMPORTANT player in next week's game. Brady loves stepping up in the pocket, all of their o-line protections push the dlinemen out to the sidelines allowing brady to step up (the last two touchdowns no one was in the middle of the field.

Jenkins needs to be a world beater and apply constant pressure up the middle. Forcing brady to roll out where he is very inaccurate.

Banned
    I certainly think it's a winnable game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Establish the run on O and bring the heat on D all game. I think that is what it will take. They looked bad yesterday and if that continues Rex will not be afraid to attack him.

[QUOTE=John_0515;3255262]

I believe we can do this. It's going to be a hell of a game. Our guys are already fired up, and the Pats are licking their wounds and not firing right.

Let's kick Brady in the teeth and earn a W in a big way.

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

Patriots 17
    Jets 27[/QUOTE]

... change teeth to nuts ... + 1 ...

l_j_r
    Last edited by ljr@work; 09-15-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it again:

The 2009 Pats have morphed into the early 2000s Colts. Let's see if the Jets can be the Pats from the same era.

After watching last night's game i AGREE. We can we win this game if we play smart football and minimize the turnovers :yes:

The myth that Moss is no more than a deep threat at this point in his career was shattered last night. Because of this, Revis MUST be on him. Moss would abuse Lito with YAC because of the size difference, help or no help.

Reggie Corner (WHO?!) did an admirable job on Welker last night. I'd like to see Strickland try and jam him on the line to help break up the timing on his crossing routes.

I think we can win the game, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

The Pats offense moved up and down the field last night but only stalled because of timing issues when they were about to score. And by the end of the game, it looked like their timing was back on and scored two TDs quickly. Not sure if Brady's timing will be off for a prolonged period like last night. We can only hope.

Their defense looked soft in the first half, but I don't know, they looked improved in the second half. They got some decent pressure from the outside. Their secondary looks a lot better than last year's horrid play. Bodden actually looks like he can play and their rookie Butler almost made that nice pick. What we can expose is their LBs in underneath coverage. Looks like that's what the Bills did. With Mayo hurting, we can kill them underneath.

This game is ripe, but it's a guarantee these guys will be a lot better next week.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Funaz;3255415]This can not go understated. Welker makes a living with the yac, and making the first guy miss. He also never gets jammed at the line. I would like to get physical with welker and see if he can take a punch in the mouht.

Also we have to be careful with blitz's because Brady is a well know blitz beater. Jenkins is THE MOST IMPORTANT player in next week's game. Brady loves stepping up in the pocket, all of their o-line protections push the dlinemen out to the sidelines allowing brady to step up (the last two touchdowns no one was in the middle of the field.

Jenkins needs to be a world beater and apply constant pressure up the middle. Forcing brady to roll out where he is very inaccurate.[/QUOTE]

He's also not very fast. Quick, yes. But not fast. That's why you rarely see him run medium or deep routes. Probably too quick to match up on a LB, but I'd absolutely LOVE to see David Harris lay Welker out like he did that Texans receiver when they threw to him in the flat :yes:

All League
    The key to winning this game is POUNDING the ball with Jones and Leon. That run D by the Pats looked pathetic against FRED JACKSON. In Houston we faced many 3rd and long situations, something we can't do against NE. That's why running the ball a lot in this game is ESSENTIAL to winning.

I trust the defense to get pressure on Brady and putting Revis and Moss will completely shut down Brady's favorite target.

I expect a win Sunday.

I don't understand this "they're run defense is pathetic" comment. Jackson ran 57 yards on 15 attempts. He didn't look good. From what I saw, most of the Bills drive continued on from Edwards scrambling after he didn't find anyone open and/or long gains on screens that I'm sure the Pats are going to be more cautious against going forward.

What we need to do is pass early because the Pats D plays "read and react" versus "attack" and that should give us an extra second in pass protection. It's what the Colts have been doing recently against the Pats and that's how they started beating them.