Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Need Advice from Long Island Godparents!

Banned

OT: Need Advice from Long Island Godparents!

MODS I apologize for posting this in the wrong forum, however I am on a short timeline and need the exposure from the Strip to get some help with this... Can you leave it on the strip just for a little while??? Pretty please???

My friend asked me to be his baby girl's Godfather. I haven't lived on LI in years, and have NO idea what the going rate is for a gift for her baptism.

I know I should be getting her some sort of keepsake, but a $30 engraved picture frame seems underwhelming... so, any input on gifts and price range would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Google says:

[URL="http://www.redenvelope.com/christening-gifts-rbchr?REF=REDSRCHgoogkwd_baptism%20gift_e&NoExitPopup=Y&MATCHTYPE=search&KEYWORD=baptism%20gift_y_e&ADTEXT=3825616629&NETWORK=google&PRID=SRCHribbonlad&gclid=CLadtcTC85wCFSBN5QodGyW3rQ"]Christening Gifts[/URL]

[URL="http://www.findgift.com/Occasions/Baptism/"]Baptism Gift Ideas[/URL]

[URL="http://www.baptismgift.net/"]http://www.baptismgift.net/[/URL]

I like the engraved ones on the last link with the name and date.
    Some day that will be a really cherished memory when its uncovered at a random moment, or a planned moment like going to college, moving out on her own, etc...

GG

Banned
    [QUOTE=GreenGeek;3255313]Google says:

[URL="http://www.redenvelope.com/christening-gifts-rbchr?REF=REDSRCHgoogkwd_baptism%20gift_e&NoExitPopup=Y&MATCHTYPE=search&KEYWORD=baptism%20gift_y_e&ADTEXT=3825616629&NETWORK=google&PRID=SRCHribbonlad&gclid=CLadtcTC85wCFSBN5QodGyW3rQ"]Christening Gifts[/URL]

[URL="http://www.findgift.com/Occasions/Baptism/"]Baptism Gift Ideas[/URL]

[URL="http://www.baptismgift.net/"]http://www.baptismgift.net/[/URL]

I like the engraved ones on the last link with the name and date.
    Some day that will be a really cherished memory when its uncovered at a random moment, or a planned moment like going to college, moving out on her own, etc...

GG[/QUOTE]

Good finds GG, thanks. The big thing I am looking for from LI'ers is price range. I know wedding gift expectations are much loftier than wedding gifts outside of downstate NY, and I am wonder if this is the same way.

Banned
    Bump.

Come on guys, how much should I be spending on LI?

Your not Italian are you?

Banned
    [QUOTE=Sparky24;3255346]Your not Italian are you?[/QUOTE]

Nope.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    You spend what you can afford, Zaius, 100-200? a gold cross necklace would be nice??

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Sparky24;3255346]Your not Italian are you?[/QUOTE]
    exactly...

[IMG]http://20somethingfinance.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/money-envelope-system.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Dr. Zaius;3255317]Good finds GG, thanks. The big thing I am looking for from LI'ers is price range. I know wedding gift expectations are much loftier than wedding gifts outside of downstate NY, and I am wonder if this is the same way.[/QUOTE]

Can't help you with expectations on price...I dunno know.

However, if the gift is precious, memory-creating, and reflects honest emotion, the price issue will neither be thought about nor remembered.

Add a card (preferably blank inside with room for you to write) and use it to express [b]YOUR[/b] feelings about being asked to perform these duties. How precious this little girl is, how her parents are expressing their love through the Christening, and how it makes [b]you feel[/b] to have been invited into this joyous moment.

If you take the time to write this, mean it, and touch someone's heart, price of a gift is totally irrelevant.

GG

[QUOTE=Apache 51;3255352]You spend what you can afford, Zaius, 100-200? a gold cross necklace would be nice??[/QUOTE]

I agree $100 to $250 sounds right. Not sure why.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I may be a bit old fasioned but a combination of sentimental(engraved frame, gold cross etc) with something longer term like savings bonds speak to the long-term committment the job traditionally entails. The cost of the 20 year bonds is about half the face value, so depending on your financial position, you could do $200 or $300 worth for half that plus the other item.

Just my $.02

go with a Gold cross and necklass.. 18 K if you could.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Dr. Zaius;3255301]MODS I apologize for posting this in the wrong forum, however I am on a short timeline and need the exposure from the Strip to get some help with this... Can you leave it on the strip just for a little while??? Pretty please???

My friend asked me to be his baby girl's Godfather. I haven't lived on LI in years, and have NO idea what the going rate is for a gift for her baptism.

I know I should be getting her some sort of keepsake, but a $30 engraved picture frame seems underwhelming... so, any input on gifts and price range would be very helpful.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

$150 and a gold cross necklace. That's what I gave my Goddaughter.

Banned
    Her middle name is Rose, after her Great Grandmother.

I found a Swarovski piece, its a rose... about $200. I'm not really into the religious stuff, I think the aunts and uncles will buy that type of stuff.

I wanted to get a keep sake that is about more than just church iconography. I think the rose, accompanied by the first of many "watching you grow up" letters is more my style. I just didn't know if that was over the top or under based upon LI expectations for these things.

Basically, I just want to do it right. What do you guys think?

Banned
    [QUOTE=GreenGeek;3255355]Can't help you with expectations on price...I dunno know.

However, if the gift is precious, memory-creating, and reflects honest emotion, the price issue will neither be thought about nor remembered.

[B]Add a card (preferably blank inside with room for you to write) and use it to express [b]YOUR[/b] feelings about being asked to perform these duties. How precious this little girl is, how her parents are expressing their love through the Christening, and how it makes [b]you feel[/b] to have been invited into this joyous moment.

If you take the time to write this, mean it, and touch someone's heart, price of a gift is totally irrelevant.[/B]

GG[/QUOTE]

The letter/card is already written, definitely on the same page as you there. I plan on basically being like a pen-pal to her for the rest of her life. While she is little I want to write letters to her about watching her grow up, since I will only see her occasionally on trips to LI... I thought it would make for a great diary-like memoir one day, written by someone keeping watch from afar. Anyway, that was my thinking, my girlfriend thinks its perfect and totally what she would expect from me.

The gift part is where I struggle, I'm trying to find the right thing to go with the letter.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=petejet;3255370]$150 and a gold cross necklace. That's what I gave my Goddaughter.[/QUOTE]

+1

$150-200 plus the cross.

COngrats, btw.:yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=32green;3255447]+1

$150-200 plus the cross.

COngrats, btw.:yes:[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

BTW DR Zaius - expectations on LI are different all over. What one would give as a gift in say Sands Point or Belle Terre would be significantly greater than what would be expected in Wyandanch.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=petejet;3255370]$150 and a gold cross necklace. That's what I gave my Goddaughter.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=petejet;3255460] What one would give as a gift in say Sands Point or Belle Terre would be significantly greater than what would be expected in Wyandanch.[/QUOTE]

Lolz

For my Wyandanch Godchildren, I always found the "Baby's first anti-ballistic vest" and "Babys first tourniquette" went over well.

Plus I always brought a knife to the Christening party for the inevitable gate-crasher melee.

Banned
    [QUOTE=petejet;3255460]Thanks.

BTW DR Zaius - expectations on LI are different all over. What one would give as a gift in say Sands Point or Belle Terre would be significantly greater than what would be expected in Wyandanch.[/QUOTE]

Good point.

The reason I ask is that I was mortified when I flew out from Indiana to LI for a friend's wedding and gave them a gift, when everyone else had envelopes...

Anyway, thanks for keeping this on the main board for a while, it was helpful.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Dr. Zaius;3255479]Good point.

The reason I ask is that I was mortified when I flew out from Indiana to LI for a friend's wedding and gave them a gift, when everyone else had envelopes...

Anyway, thanks for keeping this on the main board for a while, it was helpful.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I was just at a wedding where some West coast cousins gave a bottle of wine as a gift. They are still getting M'F'd by the brides family.

Its sad, but thats the way it is.

Btw, will you be unnecessarily introducing "doot" into evey conversation?

The baby angle affords you great latitude.