Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Maple Leafs trade for Phil Kessel

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Maple Leafs trade for Phil Kessel

    I know next to nothing about this guy, looks like he had a real good season last year, only 21 years old, is he worth 2 first round picks and 2nd rounder? We clearly needed a goal scorer, is he it?

  2. #2
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I know next to nothing about this guy, looks like he had a real good season last year, only 21 years old, is he worth 2 first round picks and 2nd rounder? We clearly needed a goal scorer, is he it?
    Can't remember who your team is, Rangers? Anyway, Kessel's a very good young player. He had a breakout season last year but on a very talented team. I'm not convinced he's a perrenial 35-40 goal scorer in this league. Time will tell. Having said that, I personally think giving up two #1's and a #2 was too high a price to pay for him and that Brian Burke should try to build the Maple Leafs' farm system before trying to win a Stanley Cup. Because his team, even with Kessel, is not close to being there yet and all he did with this trade is set the franchise back in that area. Burke is yet another hypocrite who cried foul when the "rich" teams were "buying" players. Sitting in Vancouver at the time, he was one of the most vocal whiners. Now he's with one of the richest teams in the NHL and he doles out $27M for 5 years to a player who before last season hadn't scored 20 goals. Sather and the Rangers were also pursuing Kessel but I imagine they backed out when they heard the asking price.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Can't remember who your team is, Rangers? Anyway, Kessel's a very good young player. He had a breakout season last year but on a very talented team. I'm not convinced he's a perrenial 35-40 goal scorer in this league. Time will tell. Having said that, I personally think giving up two #1's and a #2 was too high a price to pay for him and that Brian Burke should try to build the Maple Leafs' farm system before trying to win a Stanley Cup. Because his team, even with Kessel, is not close to being there yet and all he did with this trade is set the franchise back in that area. Burke is yet another hypocrite who cried foul when the "rich" teams were "buying" players. Sitting in Vancouver at the time, he was one of the most vocal whiners. Now he's with one of the richest teams in the NHL and he doles out $27M for 5 years to a player who before last season hadn't scored 20 goals. Sather and the Rangers were also pursuing Kessel but I imagine they backed out when they heard the asking price.
    Sather *****ed more than Burke

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Can't remember who your team is, Rangers? Anyway, Kessel's a very good young player. He had a breakout season last year but on a very talented team. I'm not convinced he's a perrenial 35-40 goal scorer in this league. Time will tell. Having said that, I personally think giving up two #1's and a #2 was too high a price to pay for him and that Brian Burke should try to build the Maple Leafs' farm system before trying to win a Stanley Cup. Because his team, even with Kessel, is not close to being there yet and all he did with this trade is set the franchise back in that area. Burke is yet another hypocrite who cried foul when the "rich" teams were "buying" players. Sitting in Vancouver at the time, he was one of the most vocal whiners. Now he's with one of the richest teams in the NHL and he doles out $27M for 5 years to a player who before last season hadn't scored 20 goals. Sather and the Rangers were also pursuing Kessel but I imagine they backed out when they heard the asking price.
    I'm a Maple Leafs fan.

  5. #5
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Sather *****ed more than Burke
    Yeah I meant to mention him specifically when I said "Burke is yet another hypocrite."
    Last edited by Jordy; 09-21-2009 at 06:58 PM.

  6. #6
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    TUUKKA RASK!!!

  7. #7
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    TUUKKA RASK!!!
    Who?

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Who?
    He's a goalie with the Bruins. He was a Maple Leafs first round draft pick in '05 before they traded him to Boston for Andrew Raycroft. He's probably trying to compare Raycroft to Kessel.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 09-21-2009 at 07:28 PM.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kessel is a sick offensive weapon which is something the Leafs lack but they better not be the worst team in the league. They'd lose Taylor Hall, next years first, and a second for Kessel. Huge risk for Toronto but they payoff could be huge.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    7,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kessel is a talented, young player, but if I'm a Leafs fan, that price tag is a bit steep for my liking. I don't think this is the type of move they should be making at with the current state they are in.

  11. #11
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    He's a goalie with the Bruins. He was a Maple Leafs first round draft pick in '05 before they traded him to Boston for Andrew Raycroft. He's probably trying to compare Raycroft to Kessel.
    Oh I know. I was busting FF2's tiny gonads.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    In hijacking news, Gaborik is insane. Too bad he'll be hurt soon.

  13. #13
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    In hijacking news, Gaborik is insane. Too bad he'll be hurt soon.
    It's incredible. Gaborik might as well change his last name to "if he can stay healthy" because that tag is affixed to EVERY article I read.

  14. #14
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I know next to nothing about this guy, looks like he had a real good season last year, only 21 years old, is he worth 2 first round picks and 2nd rounder? We clearly needed a goal scorer, is he it?
    Oh by the way, I meant to mention and I'm not sure if you're aware, but Kessel had off-season shoulder surgery and won't be back until sometime in November. And I'm sure it will take him a while to get back up to his normal level of play. That was another factor that made me feel the Leafs gave up a bit too much.

  15. #15
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    TUUKKA RASK!!!
    Columbus got 4 past this scrub last night. The gap is closing.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,707
    Post Thanks / Like

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Are you lost?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us