Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How did you become a Jets fan?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    My father, oddly enough, is not any kind of a sports fan whatsoever, so, my Jets Fanhood has nothing at all to do with him.

Growing up in Long Island, in the late 70's when I used to go over my best friend's house on Sunday's, his father was always watching the Jets play, his favorite player was Joe Klecko, Richard Todd then Pat Ryan were the QB's of that ERA who he was cussing often. Then in 1981, the NY sack exchange was born (Klecko, Salaam, Gastineau & Lyons) and Pat Ryan eventually gave way to Ken O'Brien at QB as we got into the early/mid 80's. I, alot of the time, would watch the games with my best friends father, Sonny, and that's where it all started for me.

Superbowl 3 was played about 6 months before I was born. I am, like many, a long suffering Jets Fan.

We have had some ups over the years, but plenty of downs as well.

All that being said, I have never felt as good about our coaching staff, or our team, as I do right now - and that includes the 1998 season under Bill Parcells with Vinny T at QB.

[B]P.S. Happy Birthday dassin.[/B]
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 09-23-2009 at 10:34 AM.

All League
    In 1978, as an 11 year old kid played football on the streets of Brooklyn. I'd wear a Joe Namath #12 crappy jersey, with my two brothers and always seemingly 10 other kids. One day my mom wouldn't let us play outside, for what, I dont know... and the [B]love affair with my jetsies began[/B], as we watched the Jets beat the crap out of the Dolphins. All 3 of us became sick Jet fans, of course I'm the most sickest... Now there are NINE younger boys in our family, and they're ALL Jet fans (two are mine). Not even one of them root for anyone but the Jets (& Yankees of course)

Schluberator & Gadfly
    It was 1967 and I was a 10 year old boy in Elmira, NY. While channel surfing (a term not used back then), I stumbled upon this football game and I could tell it wasn't the NFL. The game was being played in San Diego and the QB for the NY team had white shoes! WHITE SHOES! How cool was that?!?!?! I was hooked. This was NOT my daddy's league!

I never really liked any particular team growing up, just loved the sport. Finally around 12 or 13 years old (I'm 28 now) I got sick of hearing about the Bills and Giants (Syracuse, NY) so I wanted to root for a different team, the Jets. Needless to say, to this day I'm still outnumbered by the Bills and Giants fans, but wouldn't have it any other way.

All League
    Growing up on Long Island in the 60's only Jet tickets avalible for live Football. In 67 started hanging out at Bill's Medowbrook a local hang-out for the team.

Super Bowl III, when I was told by my uncles that there was no way that big mouth Namath and the inferior JETS could beat the mighty Colts from from the mahor league NFL.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3270134]NICE POST 41!

VERY SIMILAR for me. Dad died when I was young so I bounced between JETS and GIANTS and they both sucked in the 70's when I was in my "youth" But I really liked Richard Todd back then.

Went to college in Buffalo where the Bills fans trashed the JETS. So around 1980, to defend my TEAM, I discarded the GIANTS and have been ONLY GREEN since. Eff the GIANTS!

In my coffin, I want a JET hat on my chest![/QUOTE]

Thanks brother. Im loving the posts.....love how some fans came on in 1998....and have stayed with the team since.

[QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3270199]My father, oddly enough, is not any kind of a sports fan whatsoever, so, my Jets Fanhood has nothing at all to do with him.

Growing up in Long Island, in the late 70's when I used to go over my best friend's house on Sunday's, his father was always watching the Jets play, his favorite player was Joe Klecko, Richard Todd then Pat Ryan were the QB's of that ERA who he was cussing often. Then in 1981, the NY sack exchange was born (Klecko, Salaam, Gastineau & Lyons) and Pat Ryan eventually gave way to Ken O'Brien at QB as we got into the early/mid 80's. I, alot of the time, would watch the games with my best friends father, Sonny, and that's where it all started for me.

Superbowl 3 was played about 6 months before I was born. I am, like many, a long suffering Jets Fan.

We have had some ups over the years, but plenty of downs as well.

[B][U]All that being said, I have never felt as good about our coaching staff, or our team, as I do right now - and that includes the 1998 season under Bill Parcells with Vinny T at QB[/U][/B].

[B]P.S. Happy Birthday dassin.[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks ARod and I completely agree.

Jets Insider VIP
    When I was 11, living in Agawam Mass, I came inside one day turned on the tv, the jets and packers were on, (probably because the Pats were blacked out because of vast numbers of their loyal fans;) ). At the time I wasn't much of a sports fan, but I saw Richard Todd drop back, and I knew something good was going to happen (little did I know that I wouldn't have that feeling very often for the next 28 years) he completed a long TD to wesley walker, they ended up winning the game and getting into the playoffs, and I have been watching ever since.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=ctjetfan;3270358]Super Bowl III, when I was told by my uncles that there was no way that big mouth Namath and the inferior JETS could beat the mighty Colts from from the mahor league NFL.[/QUOTE]

I took $10 from my Uncle Louie on a straight up bet (hey, I was 11 with blind confidence!)

How about you?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=dassin;3270403]Thanks ARod and I completely agree.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Happy Birthday!!!!! :pint:

After my lobotomy. :D

But seriously, I've been a Jets fan my whole life. Maybe cause I always become fans of the underdogs?

[QUOTE]How did you become a Jets fan? [/QUOTE]

I was born.

(In all honesty, I have no memory of the "how". I've been a Jets Fan as long as far back as I have memories of knowing what Football was.)

Me? I lost a friggin' bet. :rolleyes:
    Last edited by Vinny Patrollie; 09-23-2009 at 04:14 PM.

[QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3270729]Yeah Happy Birthday!!!!! :pint:[/QUOTE]

Thank you CJ, are you going to New Orleans?

All League
    Charter JI Member

Very simple....Green was my favorite color.

Wandered in here after Ricky Ray signed with the Jets as he had been the QB for my home town team the Edmonton Eskimos. Ray came back to Edmonton after getting his release and has been our starter ever since. I enjoyed the forums and the enthusiasm of the posters and thus I became a Jets fan.

Christmas circa 1979. Santa Claus had put three boxes under the Christmas tree. One for my older brother, one for my sister, and one for me. My brother opened his gift and it was a Gmen towel. My sister opened her gift and it was a Cowboys towel. I opened my gift and behold the most beautiful piece of cotton ever... a JETS towel. The rest is history my friends.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=ptath2;3270577]When I was 11, living in Agawam Mass, I came inside one day turned on the tv, the jets and packers were on, (probably because the Pats were blacked out because of vast numbers of their loyal fans;) ). At the time I wasn't much of a sports fan, but I saw Richard Todd drop back, and I knew something good was going to happen (little did I know that I wouldn't have that feeling very often for the next 28 years) he completed a long TD to wesley walker, they ended up winning the game and getting into the playoffs, and I have been watching ever since.[/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken that was Dec. 1981 at Shea, and I was there, screaming my head off along with 56,000 of my closest Jets brethren as we celebrated our team's first playoff clinching in 11 long years. Cold, COLD day, too.

[QUOTE=poppapump;3270893]Christmas circa 1979. Santa Claus had put three boxes under the Christmas tree. One for my older brother, one for my sister, and one for me. My brother opened his gift and it was a Gmen towel. My sister opened her gift and it was a Cowboys towel. I opened my gift and behold the most beautiful piece of cotton ever... a JETS towel. The rest is history my friends.[/QUOTE]

Thats tremendous. How about that!
    Thats cool. So through it all....we have stuck with this team and are being rewarded finally....i know the season is young and all, but we believe in this team, in the organization.
    I loved reading that article that said how Rex Ryan put up all the names and numbers of all past JETS players around the facility. That makes me believe that hopefully we will have some kind of tribute to those player this year.