Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: brandon spikes overrated?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

brandon spikes overrated?

Florida ILB Brandon Spikes missed part of last week's Tennessee contest with with tendinitis in his left Achilles tendon and was limping around practice early in the week. [b]Scouts who have passed through UF have left stamping mid-round grades on the senior in large part because of his lack of athletic ability and physical talent.[/b]

[url]http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/09/24/junior-qb-class-could-be-plentiful[/url]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol no...dude's a beast.

I do like the Bama duo more (Hightower and McClain), but thats more a personal preference thing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mid-round? No.

1st Round? Yeah, I'm not so sure anymore.

He doesn't have the greatest food speed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;3280943]Mid-round? No.

1st Round? Yeah, I'm not so sure anymore.

He doesn't have the greatest food speed.[/QUOTE]

They were talkin on the telecast about him moving to DE in the NFL, I noticed he starting to lineup there in some formations already.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3273456]Lol no...dude's a beast.

I do like the Bama duo more (Hightower and McClain), but thats more a personal preference thing.[/QUOTE]

Is "beast" kind of like the defensive version of a QB's "it" factor?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3273456]Lol no...dude's a beast.

I do like the Bama duo more (Hightower and McClain), but thats more a personal preference thing.[/QUOTE]

depends on what you want....if you want a ferocious, run thumper who makes a lot of plays up the middle and forces the action up the field no one in the nation is better than Spikes....he plays like Bart Scott....

if you want a guy going in reverse or covering the backs in pass coverage, McClain's your man....

kind of ironic the same sentence that says scouts are downgrading him because of a lack of athletic ability talks about him limping around w/tendonitis in his achillies....

anyone ever have tendonitis in your achillies and try to compete in any sport??? nevermind one such as football/linebacker where you've got to pivot off your foot to change direction ASAP at times....I had severe tendonitis in my left achillies and competed in an upper echelon of NCAA sports- it's a b!tch....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;3281384]Is "beast" kind of like the defensive version of a QB's "it" factor?[/QUOTE]

Probably, it's thrown out just as sh*ttily as "it" is.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    of all the labels a prospect can get, "lack of athletic ability and physical talent" is just about the most destructive label to a player's draft stock. Unless he runs like a champ no way he goes round 1.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If there's a Florida defensive player severely overrated in this draft it's Dunlap. With his size and all that I understand the hype, but I'm not blown away by his game at all.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the stop watch never lies. the first round of the draft isn't always about who is the best player, its about who has the most potential. Brandon Spikes could be the next Bart Scott, which is great. Only problem there, Scott went undrafted.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hendu24;3281371]They were talkin on the telecast about him moving to DE in the NFL, I noticed he starting to lineup there in some formations already.[/QUOTE]

He rushed off the edge last year, actually beat Andre Smith on more than one occasion. He's got some versatility, but moving him to DE would be silly...he's a guy who might be able to play all of the LB spots in the 3-4.

CBTNY hit the nail on the head though...

I mean, I questioned his foot speed before the injury, but don't discount the injury.

He's a Top 50 pick...

And Dunlap has been unimpressive so far...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;3283604]He rushed off the edge last year, actually beat Andre Smith on more than one occasion. He's got some versatility, but moving him to DE would be silly...he's a guy who might be able to play all of the LB spots in the 3-4.

CBTNY hit the nail on the head though...

I mean, I questioned his foot speed before the injury, but don't discount the injury.

He's a Top 50 pick...

And Dunlap has been unimpressive so far...[/QUOTE]

he's a top 32 pick- don't dismiss him....

1) his estimated speed by national and blesto coming into the season was 4.75 yet he was still given a high first round grade....

2) he's the most dominant LB from UF in ten years, and if you look at the LB's the program has put into the top 45 picks the record is good...

3) he not only plays fast, he vicously attacks opponents and plays with great suddeness and violence....

4) Kevin Hardy (4.83), Anthony Spencer (4.77), Lawrence Timmons (4.70), Chad Greenway (4.80), Terrell Suggs (4.91), Robert Thomas (4.84)....all LB's who were drafted in the first round but ran "slow"....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 09-30-2009 at 11:37 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3283636]he's a top 32 pick- don't dismiss him....

1) his estimated speed by national and blesto coming into the season was 4.75 yet he was still given a high first round grade....

2) he's the most dominant LB from UF in ten years, and if you look at the LB's the program has put into the top 45 picks the record is good...

3) he not only plays fast, he vicously attacks opponents and plays with great suddeness and violence....

4) Kevin Hardy (4.83), Anthony Spencer (4.77), Lawrence Timmons (4.70), Chad Greenway (4.80), Terrell Suggs (4.91), Robert Thomas (4.84)....all LB's who were drafted in the first round but ran "slow"....[/QUOTE]

Spikes is my favorite Gators and if I'm a 3-4 team, I give him a first round grade. 4-3? I don't know...lack of great foot speed, a little tight in the hips, change of direction isn't fantastic. He plays the run better than anyone, great blitzer, great understanding of cutback lanes...we'll see.

I just don't think it's out of the question he slips to the beginning portion of Round 2.

Gator coaches love Ryan Stamper...he's super underrated. Spikes might be the heart and soul of the Gators defense, but Stamper's the brain. Great special teams guy and can play all three linebacker spots.

Dustin Doe isn't even as good as Earl Everett was.

Jon Bostic will replace Spikes as the next great UF linebacker. The problem for opponents is...so will Jelani Jenkins and perhaps even Jeff Luc.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;3283604]He rushed off the edge last year, actually beat Andre Smith on more than one occasion. [/QUOTE]

not saying much... that guy eats ass

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;3284220]Spikes is my favorite Gators and if I'm a 3-4 team, I give him a first round grade. 4-3? I don't know...lack of great foot speed, a little tight in the hips, change of direction isn't fantastic. He plays the run better than anyone, great blitzer, great understanding of cutback lanes...we'll see.

[B]I just don't think it's out of the question he slips to the beginning portion of Round 2.[/B]

Gator coaches love Ryan Stamper...he's super underrated. Spikes might be the heart and soul of the Gators defense, but Stamper's the brain. Great special teams guy and can play all three linebacker spots.

Dustin Doe isn't even as good as Earl Everett was.

Jon Bostic will replace Spikes as the next great UF linebacker. The problem for opponents is...so will Jelani Jenkins and perhaps even Jeff Luc.[/QUOTE]

It's happened to one sick ILB in most recent drafts...Harris...Ryans...Lofton...the Seahawks guy...Dansby iirc...

Spikes can play...multiple spots too...he has taken snaps at DE too.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chica me Tipo;3284929]It's happened to one sick ILB in most recent drafts..[B].Harris...Ryans...Lofton...the Seahawks guy...Dansby iirc...[/B]

Spikes can play...multiple spots too...he has taken snaps at DE too.[/QUOTE]

let's not forget Ray Maualuga.

a guy everyone in the nation knew was a top talent, slipped to the 2nd round, and know everyone is "pleasantly surprised" that he's kicking ass in Cincy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn did Spikes put on a show last night against LSU..

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hendu24;3301765]Damn did Spikes put on a show last night against LSU..[/QUOTE]

and what happened to the UF defense against Arkansas when Spikes had to leave the game early w/injury??

after watching two dozen games Saturday including UF/Ark and Bama/USC there's no doubt in my mind Spikes is much more explosive and offers greater impact than McClain....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3318020]and what happened to the UF defense against Arkansas when Spikes had to leave the game early w/injury??

after watching two dozen games Saturday including UF/Ark and Bama/USC there's no doubt in my mind Spikes is much more explosive and offers greater impact than McClain....[/QUOTE]

did 2 different split personalities make that post?

Spikes who got hurt and left... is better than McClain... who is strong and healthy and didn't leave the game?

ok whatever. I hope the other teams in the AFC east draft like you thnk CBNY and take all the hurt guys... because of their value to their teams.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3318051]did 2 different split personalities make that post?

Spikes who got hurt and left... is better than McClain... who is strong and healthy and didn't leave the game?

ok whatever. I hope the other teams in the AFC east draft like you thnk CBNY and take all the hurt guys... because of their value to their teams.[/QUOTE]

obviously you have a bit of a comprehension problem when it comes to football- no doubt....

I'll slow it down for you in the hopes you can follow along...

1) hendu24 talked about the great game Spikes had against LSU....

2) I asked the rhetorical question of what happened to the UF defense against Arkansas when Spikes left (twice as many yards rushing, infinite more passing yards, points and less sacks)...

3) I then stated Spikes explosion and impact is greater vs. McClain- even a novice could see this....

of course one would actually have to watch the games and look at the numbers to understand this...you need to return to scanning internet forums so you have more talking points to pawn off as doing "diligence"
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 10-19-2009 at 11:39 AM.