Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just got robbed...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear. I know the feeling of violation, as I was robbed too in my apartment in Brooklyn Heights a few years ago. Turned out it was commited by the heroin addict boyfriend of one of the members of our co-op board (climbed on the ledge of the air shaft and into my kitchen window). He stole my laptop and a few other things and put them in my backpack. Left a thumbprint on the wall and was seen walking across the Brooklyn Bridge with my backpack by my neighbors. The worst was that I had a lot of stuff on my computer and could never retreive it. He'd already sold it by the time the police showed up and arrested him. For some reason he never came into the bedroom where I was sleeping... thank god! Of course, he got off with probation and a rehab stint.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=IM4DJTS;3275596] Probably the worst kick in the junk though as I am sitting there in shock,[B] was being questioned by the police as though I had something to do with it.[/B] In the end, getting an alarm system was what got me back to some level of sanity.[/QUOTE]

I got robbed at knifepoint in Chicago at 3pm in the afternoon right outside a downtown train station. You never know how you are going to react, but I was surprisingly calm as it was a calm guy with a knife and not some freaked out guy with a gun. As armed robberies go, it was about as good as you could hope for. I handed the guy my wallet, he took out twenty bucks and handed my wallet back to me. We were leaning up against a railing over the Chicago River and I'm glad he didn't throw my wallet in the River so I'd have to cancel and replace all cards.

After he left I felt pretty much nothing, it took me a few days to feel anything at all, and I started walking toward the train pretty much unfazed.
    I figured I better tell a cop in case the guy was still around. I walked over to a cop and told him what happened. He said he had been on the job for thirty years and he knew what an armed robbery victim looked like and I didn't look like one. I did my part by telling him and just split.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3275595]

One night two guys drove up my driveway. My land is secluded and nobody ever comes up our driveway. I walked out and asked them what was up. They asked me if I wanted to buy any frozen meat at a discount, it was supposedly in their trunk. I told them we had plenty of meat and they got in the car and left. I've always wondered if they were burglars and used the frozen meat story when they ran into a homeowner.[/QUOTE]

sh!t like this must be reported to the police immediately....a lot of towns require door-to-door people (sales, solicitations, politicians) to acquire permits before doing so...

had a situation where I was at 5:30 mass on a Saturday w/my daughter and returned home to find my wife freakin' out....somone came to the door, was really anxious, and was soliciting donations from my wife...when she said she was busy cooking dinner he got agitated....I thought, "who the fuq does this on a Saturday night except someone sizin up my house??"

called the cops and glad I did...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about that man, I feel your pain I had my place broken into back in dah Bronx a few years ago I felt really violated. Funny thing about this was they never took the money they missed it, they messed up my
    expensive camera took the TV set and VCR..

Then while I was at work they broke into our house twice, down here Ga. two yrs. ago all they took was was my PS3 and the the games. since then the alarm system kinda scares them away.

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    Post Thanks / Like
    man that sucks. my parents had their house broken into twice within a two period. they believe it was my aunts brother in law(he was a crack head).

either get an alarm or move to a gated community.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3278613]I got robbed at knifepoint in Chicago at 3pm in the afternoon right outside a downtown train station. You never know how you are going to react, but I was surprisingly calm as it was a calm guy with a knife and not some freaked out guy with a gun. As armed robberies go, it was about as good as you could hope for. I handed the guy my wallet, he took out twenty bucks and handed my wallet back to me. We were leaning up against a railing over the Chicago River and I'm glad he didn't throw my wallet in the River so I'd have to cancel and replace all cards.

After he left I felt pretty much nothing, it took me a few days to feel anything at all, and I started walking toward the train pretty much unfazed.
    I figured I better tell a cop in case the guy was still around. I walked over to a cop and told him what happened. He said he had been on the job for thirty years and he knew what an armed robbery victim looked like and I didn't look like one. I did my part by telling him and just split.[/QUOTE]

Timmmy, methinks the Cop was suspicious that you may have been actually reporting an anonymous ghey encounter gone bad....ala kevin Spacey and the famous cell phone incident in a London park....

For instance, most cops could go 30 years and never hear of a robber who carefully takes 20 bucks out of a wallet and hands it back. Just doesnt happen.

Then, your craftily waiting days later to calmly walk up to the cop and explain this incident may have also raised his suspicion that you were koo koo, since a timely report may have saved ten other folks the experience of having $20 carefully removed from their wallets.

As a victim, you are teh suck. WIse up.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The one time I experienced a house break-in, I got extremely lucky. I was in my early 20s and still living with my parents out in the 'burbs. One week, Mom and Dad took off for a vacation while I stayed home. I had just started working in Manhattan and had no vacation time to take, as much as I wanted to go.

Anyway, one night I come home from the train station, back the car into the driveway, and start walking to the side door entrance I always used. I noticed immediately that the door was wide open. After a second of panic I reasoned that it must have been the next-door kid who we were paying to come in and feed the dog during each day and he forgot to close the door. I calmly walked in and saw what I thought was this same kid in the dark of the kitchen doorway about 10 feet in front of me. As soon as I called his name, the figure bolted out the back door. I turned on the lights (maybe I should have run too, but I didn't), did a quick inventory, and discovered the only violation to be a small broken pane of glass that they used to access the back door interior lock. The side door was obviously propped open in readiness for transporting out all our household possessions. I was damned lucky I arrived home when I did. But as the OP mentioned, trying to sleep that night - alone in a house that had just been broken and entered into - was no easy task.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetChefJR;3278324]Sorry to hear about your dog. My dog was in the house and can be really loud. The problem is that my neighbors are dense to the outside world. They don't even react to anything and probably did the same the other night. My dog seems ok, although a bit jumpy, but I think he was just confused and scared by it all. I don't think he attacked because he's still here and unharmed. If we were home, he'd be all over them no doubt. I'm completely f'd in the head by this but I guess only time will help.

At least the Jets won :)[/QUOTE]

What kind of dog?