Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roman Polanski taken into Swiss Custody

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Roman Polanski taken into Swiss Custody

Tough break, but I can't feel much sympathy for someone who drugs and rapes an underage girl, and then flees to avoid taking responsibility. He should have stayed in France or Poland.

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/09/27/movies/AP-EU-Switzerland-Polanski.html[/url]

[QUOTE]ZURICH (AP) -- Director Roman Polanski has been taken into custody by Swiss police on a 31-year-old U.S. arrest warrant, organizers of the Zurich Film Festival said Sunday.

The organizers said in a statement that Polanski was detained by police Saturday in relation to a 1978 U.S. request, without giving details.[/QUOTE]

As with most of these situations, I tend to separate the artist from the art. He's a scumbag, but Knife in the Water and Repulsion will remain among my favorite thrillers from any era and Chinatown obviously is among the all-time greats.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This guy has lived one crazy life. Survived the holocaust, his wife is probably the most famous murdered women of the 20th century. Raped a 13 year old girl. Lived in exile most of his life. Is one of the greatest Directors in cinematic history.

My favorites:
    Rosemary's Baby
    Chinatown
    Repulsion

Need to see Knife in the Water. Caught the tail end on IFC once. Almost bought it on Criterion a couple of times.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HessStation;3275517][B]This guy has lived one crazy life[/B]. Survived the holocaust, his wife is probably the most famous murdered women of the 20th century. Raped a 13 year old girl. Lived in exile most of his life. Is one of the greatest Directors in cinematic history.

[/QUOTE]

Good point. Although I knew of each incident, I never put them all together like that. Unbelievable.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy is a scumbag. Hopefully he gets raped in jail by Simon Adebisi.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is he married to that little girl? or is that just Woody Allen?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was statutory rape, meaning she was okay with it but too young. She's gone on the record and says she doesn't care about it and doesn't want him punished.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ryan Boru;3275876]It was statutory rape, meaning she was okay with it but too young. She's gone on the record and says she doesn't care about it and doesn't want him punished.[/QUOTE]

Er.

Legally you cannot "be OK" with it at 13.

Thats the whole point of the law.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What kinda of time would he do? Would he be charged for fleeing the country?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those of you happy that a child molester was caught, this is actually part of a plan for his charges to be dropped once and for all. Even his victim said she has agreed to go to the courts and and ask for the charges to be dropped.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3277579]For those of you happy that a child molester was caught, this is actually part of a plan for his charges to be dropped once and for all. Even his victim said she has agreed to go to the courts and and ask for the charges to be dropped.[/QUOTE]

At which point he will be welcomed back into the Hollywood social circles and treated like a king.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    it is the way of the world.
    power, money puts you a step ahead of the pack.
    and this country can be way too forgiving about things until it happens directly to them personally.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3277330]Er.

Legally you cannot "be OK" with it at 13.

Thats the whole point of the law.[/QUOTE]

Isn't 12 the age of consent in Kentucky? Or was that Jersey?:rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3277594]At which point he will be welcomed back into the Hollywood social circles and treated like a king.[/QUOTE]

What time is it right now?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like his days as a free man are over!
    At least for now!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    C'mon, it's Switzerland. Have you ever known Switzerland to take action in international affairs. This is all part of a plan already worked out.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3277890]C'mon, it's Switzerland. Have you ever known Switzerland to take action in international affairs. This is all part of a plan already worked out.[/QUOTE]

I was suspicious when I saw him being herded at carrot-point by two snowmen into a big tea cup carriage.

Thats hardly the long arm of the law.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3277594]At which point he will be welcomed into the [B]whitehouse[/B] and treated like a king.[/QUOTE]

more like it

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3277890]C'mon, it's Switzerland. Have you ever known Switzerland to take action in international affairs. This is all part of a plan already worked out.[/QUOTE]

I was surprised they were even able to take him into custody. I thought their cop didn't work on Sundays. :i_dont_kn
    Last edited by jetstream23; 09-28-2009 at 12:33 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can dig that people want it to die because it took place over 30 years ago and the victim doesn't want it prosecuted. However, I hope he gets nailed because of the way he flaunted escaping punishment. He chickened out and ran from his mistakes, and was allowed to thrive because of it. There's an old saying: comeuppance is a *****.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3278024]I was surprised they were even able to take him into custody. I thought their cop didn't work on Sundays. :i_dont_kn[/QUOTE]

lol :clapper: