Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New guitar amp just delivered. What should I get for test drive?

Bewildered Beast
    I have a big ugly beautiful purple bud that is waiting for Saturday afternoon...but that's jazz from the RealBook; my Crestwood playing through the deadest-sounding amp I have. Musicians of the jazz variety love my sound. I'll drink some IPA's...but I digress...

Bourbon. Get yourself some Jack Daniels, and channel Rory Gallagher. I think jetwsin may have seenn Rory Gallagher at My Father's Place at the same time I did...many guys from my town were there...1978-79.

[I]"What do you think of that? I'm sleepin down at the laundromat..."[/I]

Congrats, that's a way nice amp to own...
    Those Space Tones are nice too...

I have Red Iron 5 Watter with a vintage 12" - 50's cabinet...
    It's got one knob... love the simplicity.

I'd get a nice beer like Ommegang...

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3282883]I have a big ugly beautiful purple bud that is waiting for Saturday afternoon...but that's jazz from the RealBook; my Crestwood playing through the deadest-sounding amp I have. Musicians of the jazz variety love my sound. I'll drink some IPA's...but I digress...

Bourbon. Get yourself some Jack Daniels, and channel [B]Rory Gallagher.[/B] I think jetwsin may have seenn Rory Gallagher at My Father's Place at the same time I did...many guys from my town were there...1978-79.

[I]"What do you think of that? I'm sleepin down at the laundromat..."[/I][/QUOTE]

One of the, mostly, unsung greats.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1zsRRt1FWE[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CZNuTeq9hs[/url]

No doubt... Gallagher played with passion...
    Good stuff indeed, was said to be one of Hendrix's heroes too.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3282883]Bourbon. Get yourself some Jack Daniels, and channel Rory Gallagher. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;3282890]One of the, mostly, unsung greats.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1zsRRt1FWE[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CZNuTeq9hs[/url][/QUOTE]

Great call.....I was just listening to some Robin Trower (Bridge of Sighs) before this thread popped up.

BTW....I hope Timmmmys absense doesnt mean he's passed out over his new vomit covered retro amp, lol.

Mrs. TImmy coming home from work; " oooooooooh Timmy. Not again, honey:mad:"

lolz

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    My first guitar, if you want to call it that....lol....

[IMG]http://mysite.verizon.net/emsparks/photo_gallery/guitar/theguitars/1965%20SDJ%20ad%20final%20(Medium).png[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=32green;3282943]Great call.....I was just listening to some Robin Trower (Bridge of Sighs) before this thread popped up.

BTW....I hope Timmmmys absense doesnt mean he's passed out over his new vomit covered retro amp, lol.

lolz[/QUOTE]
    hopefully he didn't cross some wires and create a buttsplosion.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3282952]My first guitar, if you want to call it that....lol....

[IMG]http://mysite.verizon.net/emsparks/photo_gallery/guitar/theguitars/1965%20SDJ%20ad%20final%20(Medium).png[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Lol....he must have just beamed down from the Enterprise, he's sporting a tricorder!;)

Thats still a helluvalot cooler than the nylon stringed piece of crap I got from Matthews Music at Roosevelt field!:D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=jetswin;3282969]hopefully he didn't cross some wires and create a buttsplosion.[/QUOTE]

LMAO....

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=32green;3282943]Great call.....I was just listening to some Robin Trower (Bridge of Sighs) before this thread popped up.

lolz[/QUOTE]

She's gonna be mad. I spilled a bunch of Octoberfest, thankfully nowhere near guitar or amp - just missed PC... all over and behind desk and bottom of printer though. It smells like the brewery Laverne and Shirley worked in. Naturally this was the time I chose a darker and aromatic beer. I've tried to cover it up with Murphy's Oil but the smell just won't go away. Like Seinfeld's
    Saab. Back in the day I was able to get rid of bong water smell like a champion, but this is quite a challenge.

I've been warned, repeatedly, about eating and drinking in front of computer. :scarf:

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3282986]She's gonna be mad. I spilled a bunch of Octoberfest, thankfully nowhere near guitar or amp - just missed PC... all over and behind desk and bottom of printer though. It smells like the brewery Laverne and Shirley worked in. Naturally this was the time I chose a darker and aromatic beer. I've tried to cover it up with Murphy's Oil but the smell just won't go away. Like Seinfeld's
    Saab. Back in the day I was able to get rid of bong water smell like a champion, but this is quite a challenge.

I've been warned, repeatedly, about eating and drinking in front of computer. :scarf:[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!! You're such a schmuck!!!! Oh man, this is gonna cost you some flowers!!!!

[IMG]http://www.clayvision.com/dvision/vegasoct2004/laverneshotzbeer.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3282883]I have a big ugly beautiful purple bud that is waiting for Saturday afternoon...but that's jazz from the RealBook; my Crestwood playing through the deadest-sounding amp I have. Musicians of the jazz variety love my sound. I'll drink some IPA's...but I digress...

Bourbon. Get yourself some Jack Daniels, and channel Rory Gallagher. I think jetwsin may have seenn Rory Gallagher at My Father's Place at the same time I did...many guys from my town were there...1978-79.

[I]"What do you think of that? I'm sleepin down at the laundromat..."[/I][/QUOTE]

WCO-

REAL BOOK .... wow, I haven't seen my REAL BOOK in 10 years.

I played string bass in a jazz trio for a few years. (piano, bass, drums)

Ever played "Joy Spring"?

GREAT jazz tune, not covered much but I love it!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Monsterxman;3282888]Congrats, that's a way nice amp to own...
    Those Space Tones are nice too...

I have Red Iron 5 Watter with a vintage 12" - 50's cabinet...
    It's got one knob... love the simplicity.

I'd get a nice beer like Ommegang...[/QUOTE]

That Red Iron looks cool, I like basic amps without a lot of controls too.

Red Iron makes relic amps? I've never seen that

On second thought, I guess they aren't technically relics. Very rustic.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3283019]WCO-

REAL BOOK .... wow, I haven't seen my REAL BOOK in 10 years.

I played string bass in a jazz trio for a few years. (piano, bass, drums)

Ever played "Joy Spring"?

GREAT jazz tune, not covered much but I love it![/QUOTE]
    No one wants to tackle "Joy Spring"; but I have the chart in my briefcase, as I work with the bass player. That things moves A LOT. :yes:

Billie's Bounce (F blues)
    Easy Living (we like this Dexter Gordon recorded version)
    Favorite Things
    Solar
    Blue Bossa
    Blue Train (Eb blues)
    Autumn Leaves (:zzz:)
    So What
    Speak No Evil

These are the tunes that I can't get guys to play:
    Pfrancin'
    Joy Spring
    Mac Tough by Pat Martino

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3282969]hopefully he didn't cross some wires and create a buttsplosion.[/QUOTE]
    There was a bunch of guys from 'Meades that showed up twice for Rory Gallagher...you among them? My Father's Place was so awesome. :D

Roy Buchanan, Johnny Winter (multiple times), Dixie Dregs, BB King....
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 09-30-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3283164]There was a bunch of guys from 'Meades that showed up twice for Rory Gallagher...you among them? My Father's Place was so awesome. :D[/QUOTE]
    I can't remember...that was probably the guys a couple of classes ahead of me, I know Eagle was a big Rory Gallaher fan :yes:...extra credit if you remember Eagle

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3283175]I can't remember...that was probably the guys a couple of classes ahead of me, I know Eagle was a big Rory Gallaher fan :yes:...extra credit if you remember Eagle[/QUOTE]
    I think so...there was a great stand up comedian that did all the voices, and these guys were so rowdy, throwing out the punchlines before the comic could, that he got mad and left the stage. Nice going, deeks! :rolleyes:

All League
    Cool stuff. Always enjoy coming here learning new songs to jam out too.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3283161]No one wants to tackle "Joy Spring"; but I have the chart in my briefcase, as I work with the bass player. That things moves A LOT. :yes:

Billie's Bounce (F blues)
    Easy Living (we like this Dexter Gordon recorded version)
    Favorite Things
    Solar
    Blue Bossa
    Blue Train (Eb blues)
    Autumn Leaves (:zzz:)
    So What
    Speak No Evil

These are the tunes that I can't get guys to play:
    Pfrancin'
    Joy Spring
    Mac Tough by Pat Martino[/QUOTE]

You play guitar correct?

Many years ago I played for a month in a "mini tour" with Bruce Johnstone from Maynard's band.

I have a rough recording of me on string bass, with Bruce on barry sax,
    and a few other Fredonia players in rythem section playing all the tunes you noted above. Except "easy livin".

Down load "Dexter Digs in" by Dexter Gordon, awesome. I have a ton of tunes with Eddie Jefferson on vocals. Ever hear him?

Hall Of Fame
    Screw bourbon. Spend the money, get the Glenlivet. Go with the 16-year. :yes: