Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official '09-'10 NY Rangers Thread***

Veteran
    Like the Jets the Rangers have a whole new style of play. I love the go go style of Torts, high risk high reward.Gilroy is gonna make his mark in this league, that is one exciting D man. He and DZ are there for a reason and by seasons end I think we'll have something special back there.Dubi will emerge as the player we all hoped he be under a Tortorella system and will pick up some new tricks along the way playing with a guy like Gabs.Hanks gonna have to stand on his head this year with all of the odd man rushes he's gonna see and Rozi needs to take care of the puck better.
    Higgins Gally and Drury is the definition of a grinding line. Kotalik...eh, has a top 10 shot in the league but misses the net a lot.
    4th line is brusing and one of the largest in the league should be interesting. When Avery comes back Voros or Boyle are gonna end up in the seats watching until there is some type of idenity to this club.

Lets Go Rangers!!!

I don't like the makeup of this team. At all. And I don't like the coaches system even more.

The system is predicated on using an uptempo, in your face heavy forechecking style and it uses the top lines alot more than the checking lines.
    The problem with that is besides Gaborik we don't have any other top line fowards. Sorry, Dubinsky isn't a #1 center. So what he does is he wears out the top lines while playing little defense at all. Sorry this is the NHL and positioning will beat pressure all the time. Especially in the playoffs which this team will never sniff. Sitting back on Defense and counter attacking is a much easier more organized style to play and it takes alot less energy.

Secondly as good as Lundqvist is , as with almost any goalie, he play's better when their is an organized team defense playing in front of him. He's great on 1 on 1s but he's going to get exposed on odd man rushes. And his glove side is very weak.

I won't get into the young D we have because with this style it doesn't matter who's on D. It's almost like having a 4th a 5th foward.

Torts won the Cup with Tampa with this system but he had Lecavlier and St. Louis. Big difference than what we got. He says's that conditioining will make us able to play his type of style but I highly doubt that other NHL teams are in far less better shape than the Rangers.

It's going to be a long ass season.

Veteran
    They looked like they were trying to copy the Pen's system a little bit with all the pinching defensemen. They didn't look too bad though; Pens looked better. You have to remember who they were playing (the champs, lol). Once the forwards, and everyone in general, get a little more responsible and comfortable with it, you guys will be real tough to beat. Especially with Henrik back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky24 View Post
    I don't like the makeup of this team. At all. And I don't like the coaches system even more.

The system is predicated on using an uptempo, in your face heavy forechecking style and it uses the top lines alot more than the checking lines.
    The problem with that is besides Gaborik we don't have any other top line fowards. Sorry, Dubinsky isn't a #1 center. So what he does is he wears out the top lines while playing little defense at all. Sorry this is the NHL and positioning will beat pressure all the time. Especially in the playoffs which this team will never sniff. Sitting back on Defense and counter attacking is a much easier more organized style to play and it takes alot less energy.

Secondly as good as Lundqvist is , as with almost any goalie, he play's better when their is an organized team defense playing in front of him. He's great on 1 on 1s but he's going to get exposed on odd man rushes. And his glove side is very weak.

I won't get into the young D we have because with this style it doesn't matter who's on D. It's almost like having a 4th a 5th foward.

Torts won the Cup with Tampa with this system but he had Lecavlier and St. Louis. Big difference than what we got. He says's that conditioining will make us able to play his type of style but I highly doubt that other NHL teams are in far less better shape than the Rangers.

It's going to be a long ass season.
    Like one poster already said, "High risk, high reward." We may not have the pieces in place to run this up tempo system, but its worth a shot. Even with the Rangers playing thier best hockey under Renney,they weren't going to crack the Stanley Cup or even semifinals.

We have alot of guys who can potentially score 20-30 goals. If they actually pan out, we can be a force.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsnrangers View Post
    Like the Jets the Rangers have a whole new style of play. I love the go go style of Torts, high risk high reward.Gilroy is gonna make his mark in this league, that is one exciting D man. He and DZ are there for a reason and by seasons end I think we'll have something special back there.Dubi will emerge as the player we all hoped he be under a Tortorella system and will pick up some new tricks along the way playing with a guy like Gabs.Hanks gonna have to stand on his head this year with all of the odd man rushes he's gonna see and Rozi needs to take care of the puck better.
    Higgins Gally and Drury is the definition of a grinding line. Kotalik...eh, has a top 10 shot in the league but misses the net a lot.
    4th line is brusing and one of the largest in the league should be interesting. When Avery comes back Voros or Boyle are gonna end up in the seats watching until there is some type of idenity to this club.

Lets Go Rangers!!!
    This is a typical Sather patchwork team once again. The last group of FA's and traded for players didn't work out so well, so let's bring in another group and throw them together and see how they do. It feels as if he has absolutely no design on building this franchise. Maybe these guys WILL gel and become a "team." Right now, they're just feeling each other out and there's very little cohesion.

For those of you who have read my posts here in the past, I think you know I'm pretty accurate when it comes to evaluating the talent on the Rangers and who fits and who doesn't. So, here's my quick assessment of who definitely does not belong on this team and needs to go ASAP.

Aaron Voros - It's over Johnny. This guy has no hands and is not strong enough along the boards, considering his size. This overpaid lump needs to go to Hartford and ease the cap.

Brian Boyle - What a waste of a 3rd round pick. What was Sather thinking? A 3rd rounder for a 4th liner and a borderline one at that. Should be Hartford bound as well.

Avery will fill one of these spots. I'd like to see Dane Byers (I said this last year) take a spot. He's another enforcer who has some offensive skills. He can't be worse than Voros or Boyle. The problem is, he's not a center. Grachev is probably the best choice from a talent point of view but I know the Rangers want him, at the age of 19, to get more experience in Hartford and not waste his talent on the 4th line with little ice time.

Therein lies the problem with Sather. He has no plan. It's all a patchwork quilt with no design. He would have been better off signing a guy like Robert Lang for a year to center the 4th line than to trade a valuable 3rd round pick for Boyle who is a borderline NHL player.

Veteran
    Rangers played extremely well tonight and Dubi is a #1 center. This kid has all the makings of a big time player.

Rangers played extremely well tonight and Dubi is a #1 center. This kid has all the makings of a big time player.
    hell yea. i was thinking that even if he can't score he can be a serious playmaker/assist guy playing alongside a superstar like Gaborik...he has scored a few so far but time will tell if he can do it consistantly.

Jets Insider VIP
    They definitely were more impressive than they were in Pittburgh but still have a lot of work to do. Lundqvist won that game for them. If Hank wasn't as sharp as he was, it could have easily gone the other way. There were WAY too many breakaways and odd man rushes. Dubinsky appears to have a new motivation to him. Maybe it's the challenge of playing with Gaborik and proving he's worthy or maybe it's proving he's worthy of his new contract and holding out to get it. Or both.

Good luck tonight, fellas. I'm excited for our first Devils vs. Rangers match-up of the season.

Anyone know if Avery is playing tonight?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Avery View Post
    Anyone know if Avery is playing tonight?
    nope. maybe thursday

Veteran
    Great win tonight,all around team effort. Key move by Torts to take a timeout and "get in that ass" after the Rangers started the game like they were just goin through the motions. DZ, Gilroy and Kotalik all had great games tonight and a big congrats to Gilroy on his first NHL goal! Overall we own Martina and the devs.Solid play by the 4th line again,for being the biggest line in hockey these guys go all out everytime they're out there. Good win!

Great win tonight,all around team effort. Key move by Torts to take a timeout and "get in that ass" after the Rangers started the game like they were just goin through the motions. DZ, Gilroy and Kotalik all had great games tonight and a big congrats to Gilroy on his first NHL goal! Overall we own Martina and the devs.Solid play by the 4th line again,for being the biggest line in hockey these guys go all out everytime they're out there. Good win!
    You're young d-men did a great job tonight. Very impressive.

Also, you're 4th line vastly outplayed our 4th line, like you said.

Missing Elias has hurt us, but you guys were without Avery.

Plain and simple you guys were the better team tonight and deserve to take the early lead in the season series. I look forward to the next match-up.

Veteran
    There's nothing better than playing the metro area teams,these games are always more intense than others. Good luck to the Devs,I can't hate on them too much because I played in their farm system many moons ago. I just wish I lived back in LI sometimes so I could go to JetsnRangers games.

There's nothing better than playing the metro area teams,these games are always more intense than others. Good luck to the Devs,I can't hate on them too much because I played in their farm system many moons ago. I just wish I lived back in LI sometimes so I could go to JetsnRangers games.
    Really you played in the farm system? That's awesome man.

And no doubt the metro games are fun. Creates a great atmosphere in the building for a regular season game. Can't wait for the next one.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    ......sorry.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

Total pownage!! (Typing this while my 12 yr old his eyes. Dad, no one says that anymore.)

When the devils score that second goal to go up 2-1 i thought "I'd still rather watch this than Renney's boring defensive **** hockey."

Veteran

Rangers vs Capitals

LETS GO RANGERS!!! Looking forward to tonights game, anyone going?

All Pro
    LETS GO RANGERS!!! Looking forward to tonights game, anyone going?
    Think it's in Washington. Love Thursday night games though. Excellent prelude to the weekend.