Thread: Anyone try Zyban?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone try Zyban?

I recently had some health issues which make quitting smoking a top priority. I spent a week in the hospital (where I obviously didn't smoke) but when I got home I banged out the 2 remaining Swisher Sweets I had- convincing myself that they would be the last... so here I am a week later and I just crumbled... I went to the store and got a pack :shakehead

I can't say it's especially soothing but here I am puffing away like a supreme a-hole.

Anyone have any success with Zyban or any other smoking cessation products?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Pac2566;3286416]I recently had some health issues which make quitting smoking a top priority. I spent a week in the hospital (where I obviously didn't smoke) but when I got home I banged out the 2 remaining Swisher Sweets I had- convincing myself that they would be the last... so here I am a week later and I just crumbled... I went to the store and got a pack :shakehead

I can't say it's especially soothing but here I am puffing away like a supreme a-hole.

Anyone have any success with Zyban or any other smoking cessation products?[/QUOTE]

I believe our man Hammer had success with some kind of non-smoking drug.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried Zyban to quit smoking, but to no avail. It's an anti-depressant and it kind of spaced me out so I went off it. Cold turkey sucks, but it's better than not feeling like yourself.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ginko Biloba inhibits the breakdown of acetylcholine and nicotine is imitation acetylcholine the tobacco plant makes to kill bugs. If you take a GB pill it gives you a similar effect to nicotine, in fact if you smoke and take a GB pill it could give you a rough stretch of being overdosed.

Anyway, when I wanted to quit smoking I took GB pills while cutting down on my smoking and then after I quit smoking I phased out the GB pills. It worked for me, thats all I can say.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    i've used the patch with some success. The key is, you have to truly [I]want[/I] to quit. Otherwise, you'll be back. I stopped about 4 years ago and I still get cravings once in a while.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something worth trying out is an electric cigarette. I didnt even want a normal cigarette after a few days.

Check this site out- [url]http://thevaporpro.com/[/url]
    Many different brands out there to choose from, this is the one I prefer.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3286677]Indeed Timmy

Pac, I took Chantix and it worked for me on the first try, took away that overwhelming urge and made it bearable, and at that point it was just a matter of WANTING TO QUIT bad enough

The Chantix didn't work for my brother, but I don't think he wanted to quit as much as I did, he wanted the Chantix to do "all the work" and no drug can do it all for you, it can just make the urge bearable, then you have to use some willpower to do the rest .. so I quit and haven't smoked since, which is around 2 or 3 Years :dunno:

For me it was easy because I'm such a lazy mofo and I didn't keep any cigarettes in the house, so if I wanted to smoke I would have to take a ride to the store to buy a pack, and that (along with the Chantix) was the perfect deterrent

Having said that, I think there was some kind of issue with Chantix and they're not distributing it any more?

I think I heard something like that, but I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]

Chantix is still available as is Zyban. But DON"T take either. Do a Google search on Chantix problems or Zyban Problems and you'll find hundreds of horror stories out there. Many say, the drug just screwed up their brains, and even when they quit the drugs, they never felt normal again. I know it works for some, and glad to hear that you Ham had no issues with it and it did the job. But to me, it's not worth the risk. Both drugs are designed to change brain activity. Think about that.

And yes, cold turkey's tough, but if you've made up your mind, you can do it. Three years now for me and the best thing I ever did. Try a little Nicorette gum when you're absolutely having a nic-fit. It'll take the edge off. Good Luck PAC.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3286700]Chantix is still available as is Zyban. But DON"T take either. Do a Google search on Chantix problems or Zyban Problems and you'll find hundreds of horror stories out there. Many say, the drug just screwed up their brains, and even when they quit the drugs, they never felt normal again. I know it works for some, and glad to hear that you Ham had no issues with it and it did the job. But to me, it's not worth the risk. Both drugs are designed to change brain activity. Think about that.

And yes, cold turkey's tough, but if you've made up your mind, you can do it. Three years now for me and the best thing I ever did. Try a little Nicorette gum when you're absolutely having a nic-fit. It'll take the edge off. Good Luck PAC.[/QUOTE]

I don't know Vinny... I appreciate the heads up but I'm pretty sure if you google reviews for any drug you'll find a couple hundred horror stories. I'll certainly ask my doc about the risks if I go that route but I have to believe for every bad story there are thousands of successes.

Thanks for the suggestions guys...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ambxc22;3286674]Something worth trying out is an electric cigarette. I didnt even want a normal cigarette after a few days.

Check this site out- [url]http://thevaporpro.com/[/url]
    Many different brands out there to choose from, this is the one I prefer.[/QUOTE]

Are there any negatives health wise to these at all or is it really just water vapor?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Pac2566;3286897]Are there any negatives health wise to these at all or is it really just water vapor?[/QUOTE]

There are rumors to the contrary, but I do not see how they can be bad for you at all. The liquid is only made up of water, nicotine, and another chemical that I cant recall the name of that they use in food coloring, etc. I will gladly take my chances with that over all the chemicals found in cigarettes.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Pac2566;3286894]I don't know Vinny... I appreciate the heads up but I'm pretty sure if you google reviews for any drug you'll find a couple hundred horror stories. I'll certainly ask my doc about the risks if I go that route but I have to believe for every bad story there are thousands of successes.

Thanks for the suggestions guys...[/QUOTE]

Very valid point Pac. But both drugs are designed to affect and regulate brain activity. Many people take anti-depressants successfully and they change their lives for the better, for instance, but there are also many documented cases of it causing suicidal thoughts. I just don't think it's worth taking the chance. You know you need to quit. It's the toughest addiction to break. personally, I'd try nicotine replacement therapy (gum. patch, electronic cigs) before trying something that plays with the brain. Just my 2 cents.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3286700]Chantix is still available as is Zyban. But DON"T take either. Do a Google search on Chantix problems or Zyban Problems and you'll find hundreds of horror stories out there. Many say, the drug just screwed up their brains, and even when they quit the drugs, they never felt normal again. I know it works for some, and glad to hear that you Ham had no issues with it and it did the job. But to me, it's not worth the risk. Both drugs are designed to change brain activity. Think about that.

And yes, cold turkey's tough, but if you've made up your mind, you can do it. Three years now for me and the best thing I ever did. Try a little Nicorette gum when you're absolutely having a nic-fit. It'll take the edge off. Good Luck PAC.[/QUOTE]

Of course you'll hear horror stories about any prescription drug but they're rare and definitely more rare than cancer that you'll get from continuing to smoke. Over 20 million prescriptions of Wellbutrin/Zyban have been written, the drug is pretty safe.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Pac2566;3286416]I recently had some health issues which make quitting smoking a top priority. [B] I spent a week in the hospital (where I obviously didn't smoke) but when I got home I banged out the 2 remaining Swisher Sweets I had- convincing myself that they would be the last.[/B].. so here I am a week later and I just crumbled... I went to the store and got a pack :shakehead

Anyone have any success with Zyban or any other smoking cessation products?[/QUOTE]

Sorry @ the hospital stay.....a week sounds gruesome.

When you say swishers, do you mean keeping them "stock", or hollowing them out for the "replacement" tobacco?

Im off the replacement for 2 weeks yesterday. This may be totally bad advice, but for me sunflower seeds(BBQ) and a 6 pack of hefeweizen a night did the trick.

Seeing as how you were in the hospital, the 6'er might not be the best advice for you, but try doing something that keeps your mind off it. Puzzles, exercise, JI, cleaning:eek:, or whatever to keep you busy. For me the craving got less each day.

Good luck dude.