Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2016 Olympics awarded to Brasil

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;3286795]Apparantly Jesse Jackson thinks so.

Did anti-American resentments play role in Chicago's bid losing?
    Comments

[/QUOTE]

All these countries hate us....

Until they have an earthquake.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If this article said Cheney I would of believed it. :D

Comments

October 2, 2009
    BY ABDON M. PALLASCH Political Reporter
    Some Chicago officials say anti-American resentments likely played a role in Chicago’s Olympic bid dying in the first round today.

President Obama could not undo in one year the resentment against America that President Bush and others built up for decades before, they said.

“There must be” resentment against America, the Rev. Jesse Jackson said, near the stage where he had hoped to give a victory speech in Daley Plaza. “The way we [refused to sign] the Kyoto Treaty, we mislead the world into Iraq. The world had a very bad taste in its mouth about us. But there was such a turnaround after last November. The world now feels better about America and about Americans. That’s why I thought the president’s going was the deal-maker.”

State Rep. Susana Mendoza (D-Chicago) said she saw first hand the resentment against America five years ago when she was in Rio de Janeiro to speak as a surrogate for then-presidential candidate John Kerry.

“This vote today was without a doubt ridiculously political and mean-spirited,” Mendoza said. “I travel a lot. I was literally nearly killed in Rio three years ago when I was there representing the U.S. Government. I thought we had really turned a corner with the election of President Obama. People are so much more welcoming of Americans now. But this isn’t the people of those countries. This is the leaders still living with an outdated impression of Americans.”

U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) was approached by a consul general at Daley Plaza as they waited for the announcement Friday. He had the same basic message for her: “A consul general approached me as we waited for the announcement and he said that was what he was hearing — that there wasn’t enough time for Barack Obama to dispel the old image and to convince people that the United States would now be a more cooperative member of the world community. But I don’t know if that’s it.”

Presidential press secretary Robert Gibbs rejected the notion that the vote was influenced by the United States' standing around the world.

"No, I think you saw both at the U.N. General Assembly, you saw at the G20 last week, I think we've made progress this week, albeit the beginning of a process in dealing internationally with Iran and bringing our allies together on that process," Gibbs told reporters on Air Force One. "I think virtually every measure of our standing in the world is different than it was just this time last year. So I don't read too much of that into this."

[url]http://www.suntimes.com/sports/olympics/1803410,american-resentment-blamed-olympics-100209.article#[/url][/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3286775]Didn't anyone mention that to Obama before he made the trip?[/QUOTE]

zero's done nothing but tell the world the past four months what a terrible place America is...he apologized for this nation at the UN....

why would anyone vote to have the Olympics in a country that's so horrible and has done terrible things as per zero???

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://www.americairemember.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/im-cocky-small.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3286813]zero's done nothing but tell the world the past four months what a terrible place America is...he apologized for this nation at the UN....

why would anyone vote to have the Olympics in a country that's so horrible and has done terrible things as per zero???[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2NPDlbCDgzE/SaS0oohSzUI/AAAAAAAAAFM/hdPXjdJHdmM/s320/AwJeez.bmp[/IMG][QUOTE=cr726;3286801]If this article said Cheney I would of believed it. [/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://madeinbrazil.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/vsbrazilianangels.jpg[/IMG]

[COLOR="Black"][SIZE="6"]or[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_P1KK-Uc_jQo/SRs1LI2XBHI/AAAAAAAAAwM/FcwTHTi209s/s400/oprah.jpg[/IMG]

I would have picked Brazil too.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frostlich;3286834][IMG]http://madeinbrazil.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/vsbrazilianangels.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_P1KK-Uc_jQo/SRs1LI2XBHI/AAAAAAAAAwM/FcwTHTi209s/s400/oprah.jpg[/IMG]

I would have picked Brazil too.[/QUOTE]

end thread....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;3286801]If this article said Cheney I would of believed it. :D[/QUOTE]

Amazing you won't even quote my entire post. CBTNY at it again.:zzz:

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frostlich;3286834][IMG]http://madeinbrazil.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/vsbrazilianangels.jpg[/IMG]

I would have picked Brazil too.[/QUOTE]

Well, that about does it folks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Comments

October 2, 2009
    BY ABDON M. PALLASCH Political Reporter
    Some Chicago officials say anti-American resentments likely played a role in Chicago’s Olympic bid dying in the first round today.

President Obama could not undo in one year the resentment against America that President Bush and others built up for decades before, they said.

“There must be” resentment against America, the Rev. Jesse Jackson said, near the stage where he had hoped to give a victory speech in Daley Plaza. “The way we [refused to sign] the Kyoto Treaty, we mislead the world into Iraq. The world had a very bad taste in its mouth about us. But there was such a turnaround after last November. The world now feels better about America and about Americans. That’s why I thought the president’s going was the deal-maker.”

State Rep. Susana Mendoza (D-Chicago) said she saw first hand the resentment against America five years ago when she was in Rio de Janeiro to speak as a surrogate for then-presidential candidate John Kerry.

“This vote today was without a doubt ridiculously political and mean-spirited,” Mendoza said. “I travel a lot. I was literally nearly killed in Rio three years ago when I was there representing the U.S. Government. I thought we had really turned a corner with the election of President Obama. People are so much more welcoming of Americans now. But this isn’t the people of those countries. This is the leaders still living with an outdated impression of Americans.”

U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) was approached by a consul general at Daley Plaza as they waited for the announcement Friday. He had the same basic message for her: “A consul general approached me as we waited for the announcement and he said that was what he was hearing — that there wasn’t enough time for Barack Obama to dispel the old image and to convince people that the United States would now be a more cooperative member of the world community. But I don’t know if that’s it.”

Presidential press secretary Robert Gibbs rejected the notion that the vote was influenced by the United States' standing around the world.

"No, I think you saw both at the U.N. General Assembly, you saw at the G20 last week, I think we've made progress this week, albeit the beginning of a process in dealing internationally with Iran and bringing our allies together on that process," Gibbs told reporters on Air Force One. "I think virtually every measure of our standing in the world is different than it was just this time last year. So I don't read too much of that into this."

[url]http://www.suntimes.com/sports/olympics/1803410,american-resentment-blamed-olympics-100209.article#[/url][/QUOTE]

The playbook 1. Blame Bush 2. say they're racists. 3. see 1&2

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Phoenixx;3286799]All these countries hate us....

Until they have an earthquake.[/QUOTE]

Why do they hate you?

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 11 o'clock news...

[B]Anchor[/B]: "Tonight's top stories...The Iranians are working day and night to build a nuclear weapon. Millions of uninsured Americans may or may not get a great/horrible healthcare deal that is being debated daily. The situation in Afghanistan continues to be challenged, military leadership hasn't yet met with the President, and there is no clear optimal strategy. Unemployment is hitting 10% and there are questions of whether the economy is about to "double dip" back into recession again after a few good months."

[B]Video[/B] - Cut to the President, overseas trying to get Chicago to host a sporting event in 2016.

:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3286950]The 11 o'clock news...

[B]Anchor[/B]: "Tonight's top stories...The Iranians are working day and night to build a nuclear weapon. Millions of uninsured Americans may or may not get a great/horrible healthcare deal that is being debated daily. The situation in Afghanistan continues to be challenged, military leadership hasn't yet met with the President, and there is no clear optimal strategy. [B]Unemployment is hitting 10% [/B]and there are questions of whether the economy is about to [B]"double dip" back into recession again after a few good months."[/B]
    [B]Video[/B] - Cut to the President, overseas trying to get Chicago to host a sporting event in 2016.

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

10%? You must be talking @ the national %, because im looking at 12+%.

As far as the double dip back into recession, I was/am dumbfounded when a few weeks back I heard on the radio the recession was hitting its bottom point.:huh: Still, I just heard today about 280K jobs being lost in the last month. Something like 300k+ the previous month. :eek: I know the stockmarket has had its gains over the past 3-4 months, but to the average Joe (myself) this equates to nothing.

Wifey is a teacher, and I a Plumber, and we have been unemployed for 3+ months. Literally sent out 120+ resumes to job openings, and recieved less than 5 calls back. It is EXTEMELY competitive. We are more or less ****ed.

Pretty soon I will be working the drive thru window,if imlucky, and be greatful to have THAT.

My point: I have seen 0 improvement, and even scarier, no light at the end of the tunnel.

But hey....GO JETS!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sdJETSetter;3286956]10%? You must be talking @ the national %, because im looking at 12+%.

As far as the double dip back into recession, I was/am dumbfounded when a few weeks back I heard on the radio the recession was hitting its bottom point.:huh: Still, I just heard today about 280K jobs being lost in the last month. Something like 300k+ the previous month. :eek: I know the stockmarket has had its gains over the past 3-4 months, but to the average Joe (myself) this equates to nothing.

Wifey is a teacher, and I a Plumber, and we have been unemployed for 3+ months. Literally sent out 120+ resumes to job openings, and recieved less than 5 calls back. It is EXTEMELY competitive. We are more or less ****ed.

Pretty soon I will be working the drive thru window,if imlucky, and be greatful to have THAT.

My point: I have seen 0 improvement, and even scarier, no light at the end of the tunnel.

But hey....GO JETS!!!![/QUOTE]

Hang in there dude. California is in a more precarious position than most of the country. I think the pain is being felt more there than other places for a variety of reasons....the State budget, housing, etc.

I do think the overall situation may get worse before it gets better. Even from a stock market standpoint, when you hear that earnings are doing well it is only because companies have cut costs, laid off workers, etc. Revenue - Expenses = Profit and decreased expenses have helped profits. But you can only cut so much....now these companies have to grow the top line (revenue) and in an environment where credit is tight and people are clutching their wallets, revenue ain't gonna grow much.

A lot of people in this country are doing something they haven't done in years (or ever) and that is save. And they're saving at exactly the wrong time....prices are low, deals are to be had, foreclosures are up, 50% sales on clothing, etc. But now people stop buying. Three years ago at the height of the economy when cars sold at full price, bidding wars were taking place on houses, etc. everyone was buying. I've never understood that. I buy when everyone else is selling and I sell when everyone else is buying. In any case, until consumers and businesses spend, we aren't getting out of this no-growth/slow growth mode.

But hey, we DO have the Jets! :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3286960]Hang in there dude. [B]California is in a more precarious position than most of the country.[/B] I think the pain is being felt more there than other places for a variety of reasons....the State budget, housing, etc.

[B]I do think the overall situation may get worse before it gets better. [/B] Even from a stock market standpoint, when you hear that earnings are doing well it is only because companies have cut costs, laid off workers, etc. Revenue - Expenses = Profit and decreased expenses have helped profits. But you can only cut so much....now these companies have to grow the top line (revenue) [B]and in an environment where credit is tight and people are clutching their wallets, revenue ain't gonna grow much.[/B]
    A lot of people in this country are doing something they haven't done in years (or ever) and that is save. And they're saving at exactly the wrong time....prices are low, deals are to be had, foreclosures are up, 50% sales on clothing, etc. But now people stop buying. Three years ago at the height of the economy when cars sold at full price, bidding wars were taking place on houses, etc. everyone was buying. I've never understood that. I buy when everyone else is selling and I sell when everyone else is buying. In any case, until consumers and businesses spend, we aren't getting out of this no-growth/slow growth mode.

But hey, we DO have the Jets! :yes:[/QUOTE]

You preach nothing but thruths.

California is a melting pot of crap. Our goal was to escape it when my wife finally got her teaching credentail(which she did), but now it is a no-go. We had the dream of moving to a small town in the Northwest, but were met with nothing but problems. My Plumbing License is not valid there, her credential is not valid there, and unemployment in the states of oregon and Washington is ASTRONOMICAL. 14+%

Teachers are getting laid off, or forced into early retirement here in CA, and like you said, our property values are far out of line.

It is no doubt going to get worse.

As for the market, my sister is a broker, and sold everything last week. She says it is growing on speculation, and when that speculation falls through,WATCH OUT. She says 6000 is not far fetched at all. Something like that, coupled with our weak US dollar would throw the economy into a spiral like we havent seen EVER, and im talking DEPRESSION status.

But people need to stay confident. You cant go through life worrying about what is to come, ive learned these past months you have to do what it takes to get through TODAY.

Anyways, enough of my problems,its the hefeweizen getting to me,:D there is a Saints team to worry about on Sunday.