Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gout

Gout

Anyone here ever have it? I though only elderly British folk who drank port by the gallon got it. But I am a 38 year old American who does not drink port, and here I am with a bad case of it. It is the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced in my life.

Anyone who's been through it have any home remedies that worked? Non-serious replies appreciated too -- at least those may cheer me up.

Thanks in advance.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=AFCEastFan;3287381]Anyone here ever have it? I though only elderly British folk who drank port by the gallon got it. But I am a 38 year old American who does not drink port, and here I am with a bad case of it. It is the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced in my life.

Anyone who's been through it have any home remedies that worked? Non-serious replies appreciated too -- at least those may cheer me up.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I hate to say it, but home remedies wont cut it, unless you have some decent Non steroidal anti-inflammatories hanging around the house.

That and a decent pain killer.

There is also some other crap they can prescribe for it that helps with the uric acid build up, but again, its prescribed buy a Dr.

If you drink a lot of beer or have a large protien intake, you are susceptible.

I wont say how I know this.:rolleyes:

gfy

Drink cherry juice...it is supposed to help break up the crystals inflaming the joint.

[url]http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gout/DS00090[/url]

I know more about this than I want. You are right about the pain.

Everyone with gout has a different "trigger" food that sets it off. It took me a while to figure out what mine was. It's chocolate. Any large amount such as raiding my kids Halloween bag, and I am toast. Try and figure out your trigger food and you'll be set. You can look up common trigger foods online but yours wont necessarily be on there.

Good luck with it. When you do get it, I have found the prescribed meds are the only thing that works and thank god they work within a few days.

I drank gallons of cherry juice. All it did was make me wiz.

I agree with all the previuos posters. I tried cherry juice as well, and nada. For me, eating too much seafood is my trigger. Go to the Dr. The meds they give started working within hours. I still keep some to this day although I haven't had to face it in years. If it's a uric acid issue. there's also a daily pill you can take that relieves that issue. And the pain, to me it was like there was broken glass in the joint of my big toe. I feel for you guy. No fun at all.

Oh, and I hear latent homosexual tendancies can trigger it too.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    if you dip tobacco it causes gout...my buddies father has it because of that and he goes to the doctor and gets some meds for it

Guys -- thanks so much for the helpful responses. I saw a doc and he gave me something called colchicine for the gout and oxycodone for the pain. I'm still hating life, but feeling a great deal better since my original post.

Thanks again, everyone.

[QUOTE=AFCEastFan;3287478]Guys -- thanks so much for the helpful responses. I saw a doc and he gave me something called colchicine for the gout and oxycodone for the pain. I'm still hating life, but feeling a great deal better since my original post.

Thanks again, everyone.[/QUOTE]

Yup, colchicine is the stuff. You should feel like a new man tomorrow.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=AFCEastFan;3287381]Anyone here ever have it? [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=FF2;3287433]I know more about this than I want. You are right about the pain.

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3287441]I agree with all the previuos posters. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=AFCEastFan;3287478]Guys -- thanks so much for the helpful responses. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3287571]Yup, colchicine is the stuff. You should feel like a new man tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Lolz....drunken gouty chowds.....lolz

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3287441]I agree with all the previuos posters. I tried cherry juice as well, and nada. For me, eating too much seafood is my trigger. Go to the Dr. The meds they give started working within hours. I still keep some to this day although I haven't had to face it in years. If it's a uric acid issue. there's also a daily pill you can take that relieves that issue. And the pain, to me it was like there was broken glass in the joint of my big toe. I feel for you guy. No fun at all.

Oh, and I hear latent homosexual tendancies can trigger it too.[/QUOTE]

The ultimate gerbil lover!!!:yes:

[QUOTE=GREENBLOODBLITZ;3287604]The ultimate gerbil lover!!!:yes:[/QUOTE]
    Does you mother know you stay up so late? Things must be pretty boring on the "island".:zzz:

[QUOTE=32green;3287414]

I wont say how I know this.:rolleyes:

gfy[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=FF2;3287433]I know more about this than I want.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3287571]Yup, colchicine is the stuff. You should feel like a new man tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

LOL, old men with high post counts talkin bout their gout. Jeez, can't wait.
    Last edited by HessStation; 10-04-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    I think these things cost about $19.99.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIXUfOj_m_I&feature=related[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Black, cherry juice.....skim milk....or the dr. for drugs that's it .Beer, asparagus, everybody is different, sweetbreads, rich foods try to avoid....

i believe I'm starting to package a good case of hemorrhoids from all this sitting and typing. Anyone else?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=HessStation;3287844]i believe I'm starting to package a good case of hemorrhoids from all this sitting and typing. Anyone else?[/QUOTE]

It's you and Dr. Zauis sitting on the bowl for a half hour a day.

Pretty soon, your hemorroids hang like figs.

[QUOTE=JStokes;3288038]It's you and Dr. Zauis sitting on the bowl for a half hour a day.

Pretty soon, your hemorroids hang like figs.[/QUOTE]

Great. Can't wait. I do sit forever when I poop. I always like to read a little. I cherish those moments of freedom. I never thought they would come back to haunt me like this...

[QUOTE=AFCEastFan;3287381]Anyone here ever have it? I though only elderly British folk who drank port by the gallon got it. But I am a 38 year old American who does not drink port, and here I am with a bad case of it. It is the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced in my life.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I battle it everyday, I m 30 yrs old and i like to party. Im sure you know all the foods u shouldnt be eating which is just about everything. Percocet will help other then that drink lots of water and cherry juice. I have cherry concentrate which I mix up when I feel it coming on but sometimes its to late.
    I have a high uric acid and apparently my grandfather had this gout problem. It is so painfull other then percocet I was not able to stop the pain. I def can not drink more then one glass of red wine without feeling the gout come on. I feel your pain!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=HessStation;3288100]Great. Can't wait. I do sit forever when I poop. I always like to read a little. I cherish those moments of freedom. I never thought they would come back to haunt me like this...[/QUOTE]

Vericose veins sticking out of your sphincter. Not good.

I had a Yamaha 400 XS Special that I used to drive back and forth from Syracuse to Bergen County on weekends to see my girlfriend/wife-to-be my second year of law school and the year before she came back to SU for grad school. About 160 miles. Each way.

My Dad, a doctor, ended up having to cut--literally--a blood slug the size of a cocktail weiner out of my azz after about 20 trips.

Hurt like hell, but when the pressure was released....aaaahhhhh :O

_