Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP: Apartment Hunting in the City

HELP: Apartment Hunting in the City

Hey all,

So I'm graduating (POSSIBLY) from Cornell in December and hope to have a job (POSSIBLY) in Midtown with Morgan Stanley, so in the meantime I'm looking on Craigslist for apartment listings to get a better sense of whats out there and what the costs are. Since I have a dog I'd like to live as close to the office as possible so I can avoid dog-sitter costs and walk him during my lunch break. But I also realize the rents going to be astronomical in Midtown compared to some other places in Manhattan.

So for all you NYC experts, what neighborhoods would you recommend a recent college graduate with a budget look in for alternatives to Midtown. I'm thinking I can afford rent up to $1400 a month. I'd prefer my own place, I've had roommates/housemates every year since I started college and I'm ready for my own place.

Right now Inwood is the early favorite. I'm finding some beautiful apartments in renovated Pre-War buildings on the water in the upper 100's with gated entrances and a nice park across the street.

Ideas?

Smart-ass comments?

Any and all advice are welcome and much appreciated. :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    1. The dog will limit your choices.

2. You won't get a lunch break at MS.

3. Finding a roomate will help with sharing the cost.

4. POSSIBLY.

All of the recent grads I worked with this past summer who had the sub $1,500 rents were not living in midtown (where we worked). They were all downtown near the financial district.

What are you doing at MS?

Jets Insider VIP
    Crease, check PMs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Without the dog I'd also suggest looking at Hoboken or Jersey City. Cheaper and a short PATH ride into downtown.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

lunchbreak?

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

[QUOTE=SUJets1988;3290843]All of the recent grads I worked with this past summer who had the sub $1,500 rents were not living in midtown (where we worked). They were all downtown near the financial district.

What are you doing at MS?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind living in the Financial District as long as the apartments are not shoeboxes. What do you know about the food/entertainment down there?

I'm interviewing for positions (POSSIBLY) in the rotational programs in:
    1. Private Wealth Management
    2. Investment Products
    3. I-Banking

I have three summers experience at MS, so I'm feeling pretty confident about getting an offer.

I can't get an interview anywhere else. This job market is unbelievable.

[QUOTE=jetswin;3290977]lunchbreak?

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha[/QUOTE]

I don't care about working until 9pm as long as they give me an hour to head back to my place and keep my dog alive. ;)

[QUOTE=Crease29;3291233]I wouldn't mind living in the Financial District as long as the apartments are not shoeboxes. What do you know about the food/entertainment down there?

2. Investment Products
    3. I-Banking

I have three summers experience at MS, so I'm feeling pretty confident about getting an offer.

I can't get an interview anywhere else. This job market is unbelievable.[/QUOTE]

Dude, you're living in a fantasy world.

1. No lunch breaks unless you're a union worker.

2. You can look midtown west....like in the 40s and 50s 10th ave/9ave. You have to stay above 44th street on the west side or else you're too close to port authority -- sketchy.

3. Living by yourself at that price is going to be a shoe-box. Doesn't matter what neighborhood.

4. Upper East Side surprisingly has cheap rent and is a very safe neighborhood.

5. Stay in school. Don't ever graduate.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JFB;3291263]

3. Living by yourself at that price is going to be a shoe-box. Doesn't matter what neighborhood.

[/QUOTE]

He should get one of those apartments like on Friends.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JFB;3291263]Dude, you're living in a fantasy world.

[B]1. No lunch breaks unless you're a union worker.

2. You can look midtown west....like in the 40s and 50s 10th ave/9ave. You have to stay above 44th street on the west side or else you're too close to port authority -- sketchy.

3. Living by yourself at that price is going to be a shoe-box. Doesn't matter what neighborhood[/B].

4. Upper East Side surprisingly has cheap rent and is a very safe neighborhood.

5. Stay in school. Don't ever graduate.[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100 percent with top 3, don't know about 4, 5 is LMFAO.

[QUOTE=Crease29;3291233]I wouldn't mind living in the Financial District as long as the apartments are not shoeboxes. What do you know about the food/entertainment down there?

2. Investment Products
    3. I-Banking

I can't get an interview anywhere else. This job market is unbelievable.[/QUOTE]

There's bars everywhere down there, Ulysses is a great one right on Stone St. You're not going to find anything under $1,500 in Manhattan that [I]isn't[/I] a shoebox so don't hold your breath. It's a place to sleep for a few years more or less.

Interesting mix of divisions to be interviewing for there. I did PWM two summers ago at UBS, nice relaxed gig but not a place for a < 35 year old to succeed IMO. What do you mean by investment products? S&T? Capital markets? Investment/asset management division?

[QUOTE=SUJets1988;3291487]There's bars everywhere down there, Ulysses is a great one right on Stone St. You're not going to find anything under $1,500 in Manhattan that [I]isn't[/I] a shoebox so don't hold your breath. It's a place to sleep for a few years more or less.

Interesting mix of divisions to be interviewing for there. I did PWM two summers ago at UBS, nice relaxed gig but not a place for a < 35 year old to succeed IMO. What do you mean by investment products? S&T? Capital markets? Investment/asset management division?[/QUOTE]

I used to go to Ulysses when I worked down there, cool place.

All Pro
    Ulysses is an awesome place. Great St. Patrick's Day party. Financial District is fine but have you ever been on Water Street on a Saturday night? It is easily the most deserted street in New York.

If you are concerned about size and that's your budget I would suggest Brooklyn/Hoboken.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Crease29;3290828]Hey all,

So I'm graduating (POSSIBLY) from Cornell in December and hope to have a job (POSSIBLY) in Midtown with Morgan Stanley, so in the meantime I'm looking on Craigslist for apartment listings to get a better sense of whats out there and what the costs are. Since I have a dog I'd like to live as close to the office as possible so I can avoid dog-sitter costs and walk him during my lunch break. But I also realize the rents going to be astronomical in Midtown compared to some other places in Manhattan.

So for all you NYC experts, what neighborhoods would you recommend a recent college graduate with a budget look in for alternatives to Midtown. I'm thinking I can afford rent up to $1400 a month. I'd prefer my own place, I've had roommates/housemates every year since I started college and I'm ready for my own place.

Right now Inwood is the early favorite. I'm finding some beautiful apartments in renovated Pre-War buildings on the water in the upper 100's with gated entrances and a nice park across the street.

Ideas?

Smart-ass comments?

Any and all advice are welcome and much appreciated. :yes:[/QUOTE]

I would agree with the suggestions about Hell's Kitchen. The further West you go, the more reasonable it gets in the 40s and 50s and 10th Avenue isn't the desolate wasteland it once was - its getting pretty developed now. And if you are 1585 B'way or 750 7th, you'll have a really short walk.

I wouldn't rule out a roomate though. If you bump your budget up to close to $3k for a 2 bedroom, you might have better luck and a lot more room.

Veteran
    you should move to Newark (the east side, ironbound) the path is right here, safe(no joke), excellent food (portuguese,spanish). you have everything around you and your only about a 15 min ride away from the city.

Veteran
    rents in this part of newark go for 900 to 1400

[QUOTE=pauliec;3291511]I used to go to Ulysses when I worked down there, cool place.[/QUOTE]

A lot of our intern happy hours at JPMorgan this past summer were down there. Cool how they have the tables on the cobblestone street as well.

[QUOTE=SUJets1988;3291487]There's bars everywhere down there, Ulysses is a great one right on Stone St. You're not going to find anything under $1,500 in Manhattan that [I]isn't[/I] a shoebox so don't hold your breath. It's a place to sleep for a few years more or less.

Interesting mix of divisions to be interviewing for there. I did PWM two summers ago at UBS, nice relaxed gig but not a place for a < 35 year old to succeed IMO. What do you mean by investment products? S&T? Capital markets? Investment/asset management division?[/QUOTE]

Ulysses is fun. Did happy hour a few times last year during the summer internship.

Investment Products Group is what they call their Global Wealth Management business after the merger with Smith Barney.

[QUOTE=Crease29;3292004]Ulysses is fun. Did happy hour a few times last year during the summer internship.

Investment Products Group is what they call their Global Wealth Management business after the merger with Smith Barney.[/QUOTE]
    Nice, best of luck to you. I was with JPM this past summer in Prime Brokerage. Have the offer, and have a phone interview with BofA for Banking in a week.