Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corporations Wasted Estimated 43% of Sports Tickets Last Year

[QUOTE=cr726;3293661]Especially when their company is paying the bill.[/QUOTE]

And? Again, what does that have to do with what I originally posted?

When you work for a company who pays the tab it affects everyone who is not going to the game as a BS business meeting. It skews the prices for real fans period. It all starts with corporation who pays the bill in the end.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;3293668]And? Again, what does that have to do with what I originally posted?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;3293672]When you work for a company who pays the tab it affects everyone who is not going to the game as a BS business meeting. It skews the prices for real fans period. It all starts with corporation who pays the bill in the end.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't skew anything. Does it raise prices? Sure, but that's not skewed. That's supply/demand.

Companies are as part of the demand like you or I. We don't have a right to buy something at a price that we want. We can buy it at the market value or not buy it. Our choice.

If someone's company buying sports tickets bothers someone so much, stop working there. If not, deal with it.

Stubhub is a major reason why the ticket prices have risen out of control. It has created a false price and false demand.

Equal out the playing field give the avg. guy a tax break to go to a game and then it is a real supply and demand.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;3293675]It doesn't skew anything. Does it raise prices? Sure, but that's not skewed. That's supply/demand.

Companies are as part of the demand like you or I. We don't have a right to buy something at a price that we want. We can buy it at the market value or not buy it. Our choice.

If someone's company buying sports tickets bothers someone so much, stop working there. If not, deal with it.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;3293682]Stubhub is a major reason why the ticket prices have risen out of control. It has created a false price and false demand.

Equal out the playing field give the avg. guy a tax break to go to a game and then it is a real supply and demand.[/QUOTE]

So creating a market for people to buy/sell distorts the market? If prices are too high, the market will adjust. It is what it is, whether you like it or not.

Again, you don't have a right to see a game for a price that you want.

LOL at the tax credit. You don't think that will raise prices? Have we learned anything from the Cash for Clunkers/First Time Homebuyer's Credit?

Why are there scalping laws? Why is it ok for a company to get a tax break for entertainment but not the avg guy?

If a ticket has the printed price on it, why should I pay more than the listed price?

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;3293690]So creating a market for people to buy/sell distorts the market? If prices are too high, the market will adjust. It is what it is, whether you like it or not.

Again, you don't have a right to see a game for a price that you want.

LOL at the tax credit. You don't think that will raise prices? Have we learned anything from the Cash for Clunkers/First Time Homebuyer's Credit?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;3293700]Why are there scalping laws? Why is it ok for a company to get a tax break for entertainment but not the avg guy?

If a ticket has the printed price on it, why should I pay more than the listed price?[/QUOTE]

What is scalping?

You should pay more because it's WORTH more.

[QUOTE]The Patriots claim that StubHub tortiously interfered with the team's relationship with its fans by intentionally inducing or encouraging ticket holders to transfer their tickets in violation of their season ticket licenses and Massachusetts' anti-scalping laws, which prohibit, inter alia, selling tickets for more than $2 over the face value plus service charges. In response, StubHub argued in its motion that it isn't responsible for what it's users do because it does not sell tickets itself, but simply provides an online forum for others to sell tickets. [/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.citmedialaw.org/blog/2009/stubhub-unsuccesfully-invokes-section-230-defense-lawsuit-new-england-patriots[/url]

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;3293704]What is scalping?

You should pay more because it's WORTH more.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;3293714][url]http://www.citmedialaw.org/blog/2009/stubhub-unsuccesfully-invokes-section-230-defense-lawsuit-new-england-patriots[/url][/QUOTE]

You're all over the place, as usual. You can't even respond to specific questions.

You asked what scalping was and I gave you an example. The secondary market gets exploited by companies with their salesmen who want to impress their clients.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;3293728]You're all over the place, as usual. You can't even respond to specific questions.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;3293731]You asked what scalping was and I gave you an example. The secondary market gets exploited by companies with their salesmen who want to impress their clients.[/QUOTE]

How is the market being exploited? If the price is too high, people won't buy it. This isn't about the market. This is about you not being able to get a ticket at YOUR price. Sorry, the market doesn't work that way. If people are buying it at a high price, that's what it's worth.

What is scalping in your words?

I pay the same price for every ticket. The price printed on the ticket.

Scalping is totally illegal in PA and I think you can only legally sell your tickets for 20% more than the list of your tickets in NJ.

There is a price listed on the tickets for a reason.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;3293735]How is the market being exploited? If the price is too high, people won't buy it. This isn't about the market. This is about you not being able to get a ticket at YOUR price. Sorry, the market doesn't work that way. If people are buying it at a high price, that's what it's worth.

What is scalping in your words?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;3293741]I pay the same price for every ticket. The price printed on the ticket.

Scalping is totally illegal in PA and I think you can only legally sell your tickets for 20% more than the list of your tickets in NJ.

There is a price listed on the tickets for a reason.[/QUOTE]

We know it's illegal, so? That's not the issue here. Why should "scalping" (an arbitrary government definition) be illegal?

The number on the ticket is an offer. And as we know, the actual value is sometimes worth more than the number on the ticket. A ticket is an asset and as such, can be sold on the market. If it's sold on the market, that's what it's worth, and no one else can say otherwise. That's capitalism, sorry.

Scalping is illegal, but that is capitalism? The number on the ticket is an offer? Really, when Ticketmaster sells the ticket to you do they ask for an offer or tell you the price?

We live in the real world with laws and scalping is illegal, sorry it is not just a arbitrary gov't definition.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;3293753]We know it's illegal, so? That's not the issue here. Why should "scalping" (an arbitrary government definition) be illegal?

The number on the ticket is an offer. And as we know, the actual value is sometimes worth more than the number on the ticket. A ticket is an asset and as such, can be sold on the market. If it's sold on the market, that's what it's worth, and no one else can say otherwise. That's capitalism, sorry.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;3293758]Scalping is illegal, but that is capitalism? [/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Scalping is a government created definition. How is letting the market decide NOT capitalism?

[QUOTE]

The number on the ticket is an offer?[/QUOTE]

Uh, yeah? You are free to accept or reject the offer.

[QUOTE] Really, when Ticketmaster sells the ticket to you do they ask for an offer or tell you the price?[/QUOTE]

They offer a price. Again, you accept or reject.

[QUOTE]We live in the real world with laws and scalping is illegal, sorry it is not just a arbitrary gov't definition.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we live in a world where the government restricts capitalism. Tell me something I don't know.

It doesn't make it right or efficient. The government loves distorting prices for its own benefit. Whether you like it or not, the value is what people pay for it. Neither you nor anyone else has any real right to try to hold it down. It's a mutual exchange between two willing parties and there's nothing wrong with that.

I guess the Patriots disagree with you as well. Sorry, I have to live in reality.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;3293762]Absolutely. Scalping is a government created definition. How is letting the market decide NOT capitalism?

Uh, yeah? You are free to accept or reject the offer.

They offer a price. Again, you accept or reject.

Yes, we live in a world where the government restricts capitalism. Tell me something I don't know.

It doesn't make it right or efficient. The government loves distorting prices for its own benefit. Whether you like it or not, the value is what people pay for it, and you or no one else has no real authority to try to hold it down. It's a mutual exchange between two willing parties and there's nothing wrong with that.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;3293764]I guess the Patriots disagree with you as well. Sorry, I have to live in reality.[/QUOTE]

Yes, reality is a centrally planned economy that restricts capitalism and therefore, inhibits efficiency and growth. You're not telling me anything I don't know.

Again, if two willing parties make a mutual transaction, who are you or anyone else to interfere?

All League
    [QUOTE=David Harris;3293648]I want to vomit when I see how expensive it is to go to a single football game when you include parking and food. I went often with my dad as a kid and it just doesn't seem worth it to take my son in the future.

Some guys in the league are getting nearly million dollar paychecks. How many of us does it take going through the terrible traffic, paying $20 to park in a swamp, getting ripped off at every corner to pay this one player for a week of work?

It disgusts me. I love football. But the effort and expense of going to a game is prohibitive on principal as well as pragmatics. The worst part is that if enough of us feel this way and can't pay their ridiculous asking price they will black out the games so I can't watch them and their 2 hours of commercials.....commercials, kickoff, commercials. :mad:

The corporate types can keep the tix so I can continue to watch the games on my bigscreen without all the hassle.[/QUOTE]

+1

At this point, one game a year is enough for me. Maybe if I hit the lottery or invent some new life saving gadget I'll get club seats or something, but the cost of seasons, parking, food, travel etc. has limited me to picking 1 game a year to attend....

[QUOTE=cr726;3293741]I pay the same price for every ticket. The price printed on the ticket.

There is a price listed on the tickets for a reason.[/QUOTE]

the new ticket prices in the stadium are designed to take away a significant portion of the profits of scalpers...

and to the price listed on the ticket, you ever get last minute tickets cheap from someone who can't go? why don't you pay the price on the ticket, rather than below face? simple, supply and demand.

[QUOTE=BrooklynBound;3293766]Yes, reality is a centrally planned economy that restricts capitalism and therefore, inhibits efficiency and growth. You're not telling me anything I don't know.

Again, if two willing parties make a mutual transaction, who are you or anyone else to interfere?[/QUOTE]

+1