Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leno vs. Letterman

Leno vs. Letterman

When Leno tells a joke about a politician, I get the sense its all in good fun and humor. I don't hear a personal disdain in the sound of his voice. And thats his job- to make people laugh, not **** on their political beliefs.

Letterman on the other hand has always made it personal. So many of his political "jokes" are barely humorous, but are more geared to get a rise out of the crowd that must have the same political leanings as he does. He's a dick, plain and simple. And because of that I don't think he deserves any sympathy for the situation he's in. He should get run out of TV and **** on just as he has **** on everyone else who has gotten caught up in one scandal or another. At the very least, I hope the other late night hosts start making jokes at his expense.

I've always been a Leno fan for the early shows. Although Letterman has more wit, which usually appeals to me, I've grown to like Leno's corny jokes, and he knows it. That's funny to me. Also, self-depreciation is the funniest humor to me and Letterman comes off as being arrogant and cocky. Leno has no problem making fun of himself and that is the best form of humor.

My favorite stand up comedians are self-depreciators as well (Brian Regan).

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SUJets1988;3292375]Although Letterman has more wit, which usually appeals to me, [B]I've grown to like Leno's corny jokes, and he knows it.[/B] [/QUOTE]

So you guys are like on a first name basis then? ;)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=JayTPenny;3292366]
    Letterman on the other hand has always made it personal. So many of his political "jokes" are barely humorous, but are more geared to get a rise out of the crowd that must have the same political leanings as he does. He's a dick[/QUOTE]

Try watching Bill Maher. :cool:

You'll slit your wrists.:yes:

[QUOTE=32green;3292420]Try watching Bill Maher. :cool:

You'll slit your wrists.:yes:[/QUOTE]

Never did. But I've watched Colbert and for the life of me I can't understand how anyone could think he is FUNNY. But I also think the The Office is the dumbest show on TV and people LOVE that ****...

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JayTPenny;3292366]When Leno tells a joke about a politician, I get the sense its all in good fun and humor. I don't hear a personal disdain in the sound of his voice. And thats his job- to make people laugh, not **** on their political beliefs.

Letterman on the other hand has always made it personal. So many of his political "jokes" are barely humorous, but are more geared to get a rise out of the crowd that must have the same political leanings as he does. He's a dick, plain and simple. And because of that [B]I don't think he deserves any sympathy for the situation he's in. He should get run out of TV [/B]and **** on just as he has **** on everyone else who has gotten caught up in one scandal or another. At the very least, I hope the other late night hosts start making jokes at his expense.[/QUOTE]

What exactly did he do that he should get run out of TV for? And conversely, who is giving him any sympathy and what has he done to deserve anyones sympathy?

He boned some staffers, big deal.

Make fun of him all you want, dump on him you want, but at the end of the day, he didn't do anything illegal or that pretty much what anyone else in the entertainment business (or corporate America) isn't doing.

He boned some staffers.

It's a non-story.

BTW, haven't watched either of them in a while, could care one way or the other about either of them.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I miss Carson.

Humor is funny like that.

Some people think 32Green is a laugh riot. Go figure.

:3stooges:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3292508]I miss Carson.[/QUOTE]

:confused:

Strange. Just when I think I know you.

[IMG]http://sharetv.org/images/last_call_with_carson_daly-show.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3292385]So you guys are like on a first name basis then? ;)[/QUOTE]

Precisely.

All League
    Letterman > Leno

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JayTPenny;3292434]Never did. But I've watched Colbert and for the life of me I can't understand how anyone could think he is FUNNY. But I also think the The Office is the dumbest show on TV and people LOVE that ****...[/QUOTE]

could be you dude

[QUOTE=JStokes;3292475]What exactly did he do that he should get run out of TV for? And conversely, who is giving him any sympathy and what has he done to deserve anyones sympathy?

He boned some staffers, big deal.

Make fun of him all you want, dump on him you want, but at the end of the day, he didn't do anything illegal or that pretty much what anyone else in the entertainment business (or corporate America) isn't doing.

He boned some staffers.

It's a non-story.

BTW, haven't watched either of them in a while, could care one way or the other about either of them.[/QUOTE]

He should get run out of TV for being a DICK- which is never more evident than now. He makes his living off ****ting on others who **** up, which you should not have the liberty to do when you publicly **** up yourself. I'm not saying he should get run out for moral or legal reasons. I'm sayign he should get run out because more people should realize he's a dick, not like him, and not want to watch him. But apparently he has his sympathizers, or supporters, who still do. I can't tell them what to like, but maybe they are dicks too.

[QUOTE=Peebag;3292642]could be you dude[/QUOTE]

I like Seinfeld. THAT is a funny show and anyone who thinks different must really lack a good sense of humor. But that's JMO.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JayTPenny;3292659]He should get run out of TV for being a DICK- which is never more evident than now. He makes his living off ****ting on others who **** up, which you should not have the liberty to do when you publicly **** up yourself. I'm not saying he should get run out for moral or legal reasons. I'm sayign he should get run out because more people should realize he's a dick, not like him, and not want to watch him. But apparently he has his sympathizers, or supporters, who still do. I can't tell them what to like, but maybe they are dicks too.[/QUOTE]

Well, for you, the DICK is in the eye of what you're beholding.

I get it, you don't like him and think he's a dick.

Do you know how long "dicks" stay on TV and radio?

Forever--because they bring ratings.

How does Jim Rome still have a job--he is a billions times more of a dick than Letterman, yet...there it is...Rome is Burning.

Rosie O'Donnell? Rush Limbaugh? Bill Maher? Dr. Phil? Jerry Springer? Glen Beck? Simon Cowell? The entire cast of The Hills?

You're suggestion that he needs to be run out of TV seemed to have more to do with moral/ethical/legal issues.

Had you started this thread BEFORE the staffer-boning incident? :D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JayTPenny;3292434]Never did. But I've watched Colbert and for the life of me I can't understand how anyone could think he is FUNNY. But I also think the The Office is the dumbest show on TV and people LOVE that ****...[/QUOTE]

BTW, I think Colbert is incredibly funny and intelligent--as well as Jon Stewart, but I also find The Office unentertaining.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JayTPenny;3292366]When Leno tells a joke about a politician, I get the sense its all in good fun and humor. I don't hear a personal disdain in the sound of his voice. And thats his job- to make people laugh, not **** on their political beliefs.

[/QUOTE]

I can't imagine Jay Leno saying ANYTHING and have it sound serious or have deep meaning. His whiny, lispy voice never exudes a serious tone IMO.

Banned
    Wah! Wah! Wah! Letterman made fun of miss family values Palin for having a teenage daughter getting knocked up.

Leno is a disgrace btw. It's a shame someone so corny and unfunny inherited the Tonght Show from a legend like Johnny Carson. He rips off Howard Stern's bits and still bombs.

Banned
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3292722]BTW, I think Colbert is incredibly funny and intelligent--as well as Jon Stewart, but I also find The Office unentertaining.[/QUOTE]

Colbert is hilarious. Jon Stewart is the most overrated comedian on the planet. Colbert Report is 1000X funnier than the Daily Show.

Its the 21st century, cable has a billion channels and some very good original programing, you can rent DVDs by mail, you can download tv and movies from the internet and their are countless websites, a small number of which are actually interesting. Why does anyone still watch these guys?