Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need the Hamper's collective wisdom on this one...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I need the Hamper's collective wisdom on this one...

There is a woman here at work that sits about 25 feet away from me, she smothers herself in some foul smelling perfume that chokes the life out of me. Work has been miserable enough lately but this odor is making it nearly unbearable.

I need options here pronto!

Is there another woman, a mutual acquaintance, that can help break the news? Maybe someone can gently tell her to...

Ah, fxxx it. Dude, I got nothin' that will make everyone feel ok about it...

Either someone has to tell her straight up that the smell is distracting, or you have to deal with the smell forever.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=morite;3296775]Is there another woman, a mutual acquaintance, that can help break the news? Maybe someone can gently tell her to...

Ah, fxxx it. Dude, I got nothin' that will make everyone feel ok about it...

Either someone has to tell her straight up that the smell is distracting, or you have to deal with the smell forever.[/QUOTE]
    I can't kill her?

I'm with you on this, JW. I hate strong perfume, laundry detergent, etc. When I worked as a chef, men and women were prohibited from wearing cologne or perfume which would conflict with normal cooking smells. In your office setting, it may be more difficult to remedy this problem. If it is truly bothersome to the point of impacting your work--or causes an allergic reaction or breathing difficulty--consult with your H.R. Dept., if one exists. It should come from them, or one of the main bosses, rather than from you. (Unless you are a main boss or know this person really well.)

All League
    Either go to HR and have them say something, or go direct and ask her to tone it down. She might have more respect if you did it yourself instead of her getting "people around you have complained" from HR.

Jets Insider VIP
    open an anonymous gmail account and send her an email saying you prefer her without the perfum.

Signed,
    Secret Admirerer

That way you're cutting the news to her AND giving her an incentive to stop.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;3296780]I'm with you on this, JW. I hate strong perfume, laundry detergent, etc. When I worked as a chef, men and women were prohibited from wearing cologne or perfume which would conflict with normal cooking smells. In your office setting, it may be more difficult to remedy this problem. If it is truly bothersome to the point of impacting your work--or causes an allergic reaction or breathing difficulty--consult with your H.R. Dept., if one exists. It should come from them, or one of the main bosses, rather than from you. (Unless you are a main boss or know this person really well.)[/QUOTE]
    I talked to my boss about it last week, he said maybe she doesn't bathe...

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2vtsidl.jpg[/IMG]

I was like, thanks for the help, lol

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3296782]open an anonymous gmail account and send her an email saying you prefer her without the perfum.

Signed,
    Secret Admirerer

That way you're cutting the news to her AND giving her an incentive to stop.[/QUOTE]

Anonymous email account or contact via payphone with fake chinese accent is what I would do.

Talking to her directly would be best, but I'm a chicken.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3296791]I talked to my boss about it last week, he said maybe she doesn't bathe...

I was like, thanks for the help, lol[/QUOTE]

then walk past her with laundry pin on your nose.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3296791]I talked to my boss about it last week, he said maybe [B]she doesn't bathe...[/B]

She's French?

Want me to talk to her?

had to get that one out of the way for you guys. ;)

[QUOTE=jetswin;3296791]I talked to my boss about it last week, he said maybe she doesn't bathe...

Oh, God. What's worse, smelling perfume or having your eyes water from atomic body odor?

Jets Insider VIP
    This is actually a common problem, and its especially bad if you have allergies.

Calmly and politely explain to the dope that the perfume is permeating the entire office and can she dial it back. If she refuses or gives you ****, explain [B]calmly[/B] that she leaves you no choice but to go to HR.

Then go.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3296796]She's French?

Want me to talk to her?

had to get that one out of the way for you guys. ;)[/QUOTE]
    If she was French there would be the possibility of hotness, this situation does not involve that at all...she is very loud and sounds like a cross between Marge Simpson and Edith Bunker, but other than that seem a very nice woman and I would never want to hurt her, even though we have never spoken with each other.

Quite the conundrum.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3296796]She's French?

Want me to talk to her?

had to get that one out of the way for you guys. ;)[/QUOTE]

damn, I had to go and leave my desk for a second.:mad:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[/QUOTE]

Lol...I had a co-worker like that once. She doused herself in perfume to mask the fact that she had b.o., whether it be from not bathing or other issues:eek:....

The combined reek was wretch-producing....

One day I came in and her desk was surrounded on four sides by those cheap little battery operated fans you can buy on the street, the types with the clips on them. They were clipped to shelves, other desks, etc.

Attached to each one was one of those car air-fresheners which was just flopping in the fan breeze.

Unfortunately when she arrived for work, her runaway bride eyes did not comprehend the man-made bio-zone that was created to contain her fetid stink and she thanked everyone for cooling off the office in her sing-song voice.

You could hear the disgusted tossing of pens and folders from exasperated fan placers across the room.

I was lucky enough to leave that office soon after.

She was basically functionally insane, just barely holding it together enough to show up to work everyday.

I would tell HR it is a medical issue with you. An allergy. Otherwise they will weigh her feelings over your annoyance.

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    i see this calls for a woman's point of view.. ;)

tell the old hag to chill out on the perfume...lol. no just kidding.

maybe if you are allergic to it you can go to the dr and get a medical note saying such and ask her nicely to scale back on the perfume. if she becomes a ***** about it, then tell her that you will go to HR, b/c its making for a difficult work enviroment. (i had to deal with this with one of my employees), but i am the boss;)

This just hit me, JW (not literally, luckily.) One day, walk in and put a bunch of dog crap near her cubicle and your office. Lots. When she asks why you're doing this, say that someone in the office really reeks of perfume and body odor, and at least the festering dog poo cuts the stink.
    Last edited by Borgoguy; 10-08-2009 at 09:28 AM.

When I used to ride LIRR everyday, this one woman would always get in the same car as me (after I settled in) and her stink would waft through the whole car. It wasn't even good perfume, which I love on a woman. She actually made me puke 1 summer afternoon because of the headache I got. I just eventually learned to switch cars :steamin:

PS - I like the anonymous gmail idea. [email]perfumepolice@gmail.com[/email]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

thanks guys/gals...I may try the "talk to another girl nearby" method, there is one I'm friendly with and perhaps this cowardly approach would be the best first attempt at resolving this catastrophe.

Hall Of Fame
    J-dub, I might be able to help. Do you have access to any C-4?