Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The wine corner

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Although I appreciate the skill of the vintners and quality of the varietal, I have never acquired a taste for Gewürztraminer, either from Germany or California. No matter how much people have justified it, the wine is just loo sweet for my palate.

IMO, Pinot Noir, either from Oregon, Washington State, or France, is the perfect choice for Thanksgiving dinner.
    I am serving a bunch of different Pinot Noir's from the Russian River and Sonoma. All are 2007. Won a case on a bet with a San Diego Charger fan on the playoffs last year! bet him straight up--that took balls

_

All League
    Went to Napa for a wedding two weeks ago. First time there and really enjoyed it. Stopped by 3 of my favorites:

All League
    My mom brought home a wine called Hansom last week, it was a Merlot. Really good wine.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    Went to Napa for a wedding two weeks ago. First time there and really enjoyed it. Stopped by 3 of my favorites:

Change out that Duckhorn for a Silver Oak cab, and that's my top 3.

I'm envious. Nice wedding.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Change out that Duckhorn for a Silver Oak cab, and that's my top 3.

I'm envious. Nice wedding.
    Silver Oak was also a stop...very close to Stags Leap. It is one of my faves as well

Following up on an earlier post, I just bought a case of wine, including one bottle of 2010 Duboeuf Beaujolais Nouveau. In a sign of things to come--and as we discussed in another thread--this year's vintage has a screw top.
    Plumpjack now has a screwtop.

As far as Pinot Noirs go, the Northwest one are generally the best. However Vision Cellars from California is my fave.

. Somehow, I double posted .
    Last edited by Borgoguy; 11-24-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    That's vierd. I bought 2 bottles of the 2010 Duboeuf and both are corked.

_
    Just went to check. It is a screw top. Maybe they changed midway.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Guwurztrminer and Reiseling are considered to be classic Thanksgiving wines.
    As for Guwurztrminer being sweet, I know many are, but I always assumed they were like Reiselings, ranging from sweet to dry.

My wife likes both Reiseling and Guwurztrminer, I usually go for minerally french white wines so I can't help you that much.
    Over the years, I've had friends who love the wine bring me bottles they swore were not sweet. Although some were less overt, the predominant characteristic for me was big, fruity grape sweetness.

Quote Originally Posted by JJJetfan View Post
    Plumpjack now has a screwtop.

As far as Pinot Noirs go, the Northwest one are generally the best. However Vision Cellars from California is my fave.

Great wine. Thanks for correcting my error. Although I prefer ones from the Pacific Northwest, I should have mentioned California pinots with the others. I'll look out for a bottle of the Vision Cellars.
    Last edited by Borgoguy; 11-24-2010 at 10:41 AM.

BTW, I have been sipping the Beaujolais Nouveau all afternoon while cooking. This year's vintage is actually very enjoyable.

Hall Of Fame
    BTW, I have been sipping the Beaujolais Nouveau all afternoon while cooking. This year's vintage is actually very enjoyable.
    +1. It's actually quite nice and smooth.

_

I really like a good Malbec. Tupungata makes a great one. It has to be from the Mendoza valley in Chile. Almos is another Malbec from Mendoza.
    A good Cab is always apreciated as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by TKasper01 View Post
    I really like a good Malbec. Tupungata makes a great one. It has to be from the Mendoza valley in Chile. Almos is another Malbec from Mendoza.
    Malbec is a great party choice, it has a very wide appeal.

I used to drink a lot of it, I don't anymore. I'll probably go back to it one day.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    +1. It's actually quite nice and smooth.

_
    Weren't you supposed to stop drinking wine for lent?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Weren't you supposed to stop drinking wine for lent?
    Lent ended April 3 2010

Jets Insider VIP
    Lent ended April 3 2010
    Oh...it's not a year long thing?

Religion fail

Quote Originally Posted by TKasper01 View Post
    Malbec is a great party choice, it has a very wide appeal.

I used to drink a lot of it, I don't anymore. I'll probably go back to it one day.
    Like Timmy, I haven't had a bottle of Malbec in a while. I'll see what's at my wine shop next time I buy a case.

Malbec was always a difficult wine to appreciate from French producers. IMO, vintners from Argentina have really tamed the wild, uneven-tasting, varietal and produce the most drinkable wines.

Hall Of Fame
    Like Timmy, I haven't had a bottle of Malbec in a while. I'll see what's at my wine shop next time I buy a case.

Malbec was always a difficult wine to appreciate from French producers. IMO, vintners from Argentina have really tamed the wild, uneven-tasting, varietal and produce the most drinkable wines.
    Malbec is a great wine to get people off Little Penguin Merlot and Cab. I used to drink a ton of Malbec. I like the $20 to $30 bottles more than the $10 selections, and I rarely spend that much on wine.

The South American Malbec is much more fruit forward than French Malbec.

Sipping a glass of Red Velvet crafted by Cupcake Vineyards (CA's Central Coast). I saw it on the shelves and decided to give it a whirl. It's a blend on zinfandel, merlot and cabernet. It's delicious. Would have been perfect for Thanksgiving.

Hall Of Fame
    Sipping a glass of Red Velvet crafted by Cupcake Vineyards (CA's Central Coast). I saw it on the shelves and decided to give it a whirl. It's a blend on zinfandel, merlot and cabernet. It's delicious. Would have been perfect for Thanksgiving.

thanks for this, I just looked it up and I think it might be up my wife's alley.
    I'm going to look for it this evening.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway

I dont drink much wine, but your post reminded me of one i tried for Halloween and liked. Menage Trois. Its very trendy, maybe youve tried it......has the same 3 grape variety going on, although im not sure if it is the same 3 grapes as the one you posted. Looks good....ill keep an eye out.