Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: The wine corner

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    If you can get to a Stew Leonard's Wine Shop, they have Menage a Trois.

Also, they have a lot of wines you cant get in other stores.
    I think we all get the same California wines, but that's about it. I wish we could all try other recommendations.

Jets Insider VIP
    If you can get to a Stew Leonard's Wine Shop, they have Menage a Trois.
    /me immediately looks for the Stew Leonard's Store Locator

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    I think we all get the same California wines, but that's about it. I wish we could all try other recommendations.
    I usually shop at the local liquor superstores around my habitat, and they have more wines than I could drink (and remember) in my lifetime. I go to Stew Leonards, and they have wines I don't normally see at the regular liquor marts. It's a nice change of pace, but the 25 minute drive to Stews usually puts a damper on going there for wine.

On an aside, if you find a wine that you cant find at your local dealer, go right to the winery's website. They can probably ship you a case direct.

Hall Of Fame
    I usually shop at the local liquor superstores around my habitat, and they have more wines than I could drink (and remember) in my lifetime. I go to Stew Leonards, and they have wines I don't normally see at the regular liquor marts. It's a nice change of pace, but the 25 minute drive to Stews usually puts a damper on going there for wine.

On an aside, if you find a wine that you cant find at your local dealer, go right to the winery's website. They can probably ship you a case direct.
    You know who has a great wine selection for shipping? The guy we all hassled when he was making angry faces during the Sanchez draft. He has a good selection and the prices are good.

All League
    If any of you gentlemen or ladies had the opportunity to get the Indian Creek Pinot and/or Zinfandel made with the grapes from the California wild fires in '08 - what did you think?

I had the Indian Creek Pinot Noir, and being Pinot Noir is already a "weak" wine (IMO), all you could taste was the wild fires. Like drinking a camp fire. Now, the zinfandel, already a hearty, spicy wine, worked very well with the camp fire notes.

Also, great wine for the price - Bogle Zinfandel and Cab. Sauv. Bogle's been turing out some very good wines for a very reasonable price.

Hall Of Fame
    I had the Indian Creek Pinot Noir, and being Pinot Noir is already a "weak" wine (IMO), all you could taste was the wild fires.
    really, you could pick up the burned, smokey flavor?

If any of you gentlemen or ladies had the opportunity to get the Indian Creek Pinot and/or Zinfandel made with the grapes from the California wild fires in '08 - what did you think?

I had the Indian Creek Pinot Noir, and being Pinot Noir is already a "weak" wine (IMO), all you could taste was the wild fires. Like drinking a camp fire. Now, the zinfandel, already a hearty, spicy wine, worked very well with the camp fire notes.

Also, great wine for the price - Bogle Zinfandel and Cab. Sauv. Bogle's been turing out some very good wines for a very reasonable price.
    I never ordered the Indian CreeK, Big L. As for the Bogle: I've been drinking the various varieties since the 90s, when I lived in California. Back then, it was ridiculously cheap, like $6-7/bottle at places like Cost Plus.

All League
    really, you could pick up the burned, smokey flavor?
    That's all you could taste - it overpowered the Pinot. I wasn't a big fan. Of course, I still drank it. I cant even seem to let a bad wine go to waste.

Hall Of Fame
    That's all you could taste - it overpowered the Pinot. I wasn't a big fan. Of course, I still drank it. I cant even seem to let a bad wine go to waste.
    I've probably poured 4 or 5 bottles down the drain.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    .000026% of your total consumption for the 2010 fiscal year.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Sipping a glass of Red Velvet crafted by Cupcake Vineyards (CA's Central Coast). I saw it on the shelves and decided to give it a whirl. It's a blend on zinfandel, merlot and cabernet. It's delicious. Would have been perfect for Thanksgiving.

As I told you in the past, I found a Cupcake wine for my wife but not the
    Red Velvet. I finally tracked down a red velvet for her and she enjoyed it, with a cupcake. She called me this morning because she wanted me to pick up another bottle, and cupcakes, for a party she is going too.

I found it at, of all places, Walmart.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    .000026% of your total consumption for the 2010 fiscal year.
    I know you were trying to make a joke, but you may have nailed it-like the guy who wins both showcases on the Price is Right for being so close.

A great source for buying wines on-line is wtso.com (wines till sold out) ...they list 1 wine at a time at a 20-60% discount off of retail until the allotment is gone then they post a new one. Wines vary from inexpensive pinots to 1st growth bordeauxs....delivery is quick...i always choose to pay an extra 4-6 bucks and get two day delivery. Check it out

All Pro
    I know you were trying to make a joke, but you may have nailed it-like the guy who wins both showcases on the Price is Right for being so close.
    You guys have really opened my eyes to wine. Because of this thread, i try a few new bottles a week.

Also tried getting into the bourbon thread , but after the first bottle i bought, i did some really weird thing to my wife one night, and felt weird in the morning, like i had been roofied.

Gonna stick with the wine i guess.

All League
    I never ordered the Indian CreeK, Big L. As for the Bogle: I've been drinking the various varieties since the 90s, when I lived in California. Back then, it was ridiculously cheap, like $6-7/bottle at places like Cost Plus.
    If I recall, didn't Bogle have a "cheap" feel to it, kinda like the gallon jugs of Carlo n Rossi, a few years back? They've definately upgraded their product.

All League
    I've poured about 4 or 5 bottles down the drain, only because when opened, they had spoiled, and they were in my wine rack for so long, there's no way I could have returned the bottle to the store for a credit.

If the wine is fine, just doesn't taste all that appealing to me, I'll still drink it. It's the effect I'm after!

Hall Of Fame

i did some really weird thing to my wife one night, and felt weird in the morning, like i had been roofied.
    sounds like you picked a good one.

All League
    You guys have really opened my eyes to wine. Because of this thread, i try a few new bottles a week.

Also tried getting into the bourbon thread , but after the first bottle i bought, i did some really weird thing to my wife one night, and felt weird in the morning, like i had been roofied.

Gonna stick with the wine i guess.
    Please elaborate. The Hampur needs this.

Hall Of Fame
    what kind of wines do you enjoy?

All Pro
    Please elaborate. The Hampur needs this.
    Im shy.

what kind of wines do you enjoy?
    Well, again, im new to recognizing the subtleties of different wines. That being said, i think I have stayed too mainstream in my selections. I will often start at the Cab or Merlot section. As far specifics, im financially challenged while saving for our home, so anything over 10$ is out of my range.

Turning leaf was last nights selection, and i think ive made my first wine discovery. It seems to me that the majority of Cab's ive tried have a more robust, deeper taste, in comparison to the Merlots ive sampled?

I also really like the Menage Trois from Napa. A blend of 3 grapes (which i dont recall right now). Thats probably my favorite. Pretty trendy im sure.

Also I really enjoy Chardonnay. I feel feminine drinking it, but i cant hide my liking for it.