Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: The wine corner

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    If you can get to a Stew Leonard's Wine Shop, they have Menage a Trois.

Also, they have a lot of wines you cant get in other stores.
    I think we all get the same California wines, but that's about it. I wish we could all try other recommendations.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you can get to a Stew Leonard's Wine Shop, they have Menage a Trois.
    /me immediately looks for the Stew Leonard's Store Locator

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    I think we all get the same California wines, but that's about it. I wish we could all try other recommendations.
    I usually shop at the local liquor superstores around my habitat, and they have more wines than I could drink (and remember) in my lifetime. I go to Stew Leonards, and they have wines I don't normally see at the regular liquor marts. It's a nice change of pace, but the 25 minute drive to Stews usually puts a damper on going there for wine.

On an aside, if you find a wine that you cant find at your local dealer, go right to the winery's website. They can probably ship you a case direct.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I usually shop at the local liquor superstores around my habitat, and they have more wines than I could drink (and remember) in my lifetime. I go to Stew Leonards, and they have wines I don't normally see at the regular liquor marts. It's a nice change of pace, but the 25 minute drive to Stews usually puts a damper on going there for wine.

On an aside, if you find a wine that you cant find at your local dealer, go right to the winery's website. They can probably ship you a case direct.
    You know who has a great wine selection for shipping? The guy we all hassled when he was making angry faces during the Sanchez draft. He has a good selection and the prices are good.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If any of you gentlemen or ladies had the opportunity to get the Indian Creek Pinot and/or Zinfandel made with the grapes from the California wild fires in '08 - what did you think?

I had the Indian Creek Pinot Noir, and being Pinot Noir is already a "weak" wine (IMO), all you could taste was the wild fires. Like drinking a camp fire. Now, the zinfandel, already a hearty, spicy wine, worked very well with the camp fire notes.

Also, great wine for the price - Bogle Zinfandel and Cab. Sauv. Bogle's been turing out some very good wines for a very reasonable price.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the Indian Creek Pinot Noir, and being Pinot Noir is already a "weak" wine (IMO), all you could taste was the wild fires.
    really, you could pick up the burned, smokey flavor?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If any of you gentlemen or ladies had the opportunity to get the Indian Creek Pinot and/or Zinfandel made with the grapes from the California wild fires in '08 - what did you think?

I had the Indian Creek Pinot Noir, and being Pinot Noir is already a "weak" wine (IMO), all you could taste was the wild fires. Like drinking a camp fire. Now, the zinfandel, already a hearty, spicy wine, worked very well with the camp fire notes.

Also, great wine for the price - Bogle Zinfandel and Cab. Sauv. Bogle's been turing out some very good wines for a very reasonable price.
    I never ordered the Indian CreeK, Big L. As for the Bogle: I've been drinking the various varieties since the 90s, when I lived in California. Back then, it was ridiculously cheap, like $6-7/bottle at places like Cost Plus.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    really, you could pick up the burned, smokey flavor?
    That's all you could taste - it overpowered the Pinot. I wasn't a big fan. Of course, I still drank it. I cant even seem to let a bad wine go to waste.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's all you could taste - it overpowered the Pinot. I wasn't a big fan. Of course, I still drank it. I cant even seem to let a bad wine go to waste.
    I've probably poured 4 or 5 bottles down the drain.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    .000026% of your total consumption for the 2010 fiscal year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Sipping a glass of Red Velvet crafted by Cupcake Vineyards (CA's Central Coast). I saw it on the shelves and decided to give it a whirl. It's a blend on zinfandel, merlot and cabernet. It's delicious. Would have been perfect for Thanksgiving.

As I told you in the past, I found a Cupcake wine for my wife but not the
    Red Velvet. I finally tracked down a red velvet for her and she enjoyed it, with a cupcake. She called me this morning because she wanted me to pick up another bottle, and cupcakes, for a party she is going too.

I found it at, of all places, Walmart.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    .000026% of your total consumption for the 2010 fiscal year.
    I know you were trying to make a joke, but you may have nailed it-like the guy who wins both showcases on the Price is Right for being so close.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    A great source for buying wines on-line is wtso.com (wines till sold out) ...they list 1 wine at a time at a 20-60% discount off of retail until the allotment is gone then they post a new one. Wines vary from inexpensive pinots to 1st growth bordeauxs....delivery is quick...i always choose to pay an extra 4-6 bucks and get two day delivery. Check it out

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know you were trying to make a joke, but you may have nailed it-like the guy who wins both showcases on the Price is Right for being so close.
    You guys have really opened my eyes to wine. Because of this thread, i try a few new bottles a week.

Also tried getting into the bourbon thread , but after the first bottle i bought, i did some really weird thing to my wife one night, and felt weird in the morning, like i had been roofied.

Gonna stick with the wine i guess.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never ordered the Indian CreeK, Big L. As for the Bogle: I've been drinking the various varieties since the 90s, when I lived in California. Back then, it was ridiculously cheap, like $6-7/bottle at places like Cost Plus.
    If I recall, didn't Bogle have a "cheap" feel to it, kinda like the gallon jugs of Carlo n Rossi, a few years back? They've definately upgraded their product.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've poured about 4 or 5 bottles down the drain, only because when opened, they had spoiled, and they were in my wine rack for so long, there's no way I could have returned the bottle to the store for a credit.

If the wine is fine, just doesn't taste all that appealing to me, I'll still drink it. It's the effect I'm after!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

i did some really weird thing to my wife one night, and felt weird in the morning, like i had been roofied.
    sounds like you picked a good one.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys have really opened my eyes to wine. Because of this thread, i try a few new bottles a week.

Also tried getting into the bourbon thread , but after the first bottle i bought, i did some really weird thing to my wife one night, and felt weird in the morning, like i had been roofied.

Gonna stick with the wine i guess.
    Please elaborate. The Hampur needs this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    what kind of wines do you enjoy?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please elaborate. The Hampur needs this.
    Im shy.

what kind of wines do you enjoy?
    Well, again, im new to recognizing the subtleties of different wines. That being said, i think I have stayed too mainstream in my selections. I will often start at the Cab or Merlot section. As far specifics, im financially challenged while saving for our home, so anything over 10$ is out of my range.

Turning leaf was last nights selection, and i think ive made my first wine discovery. It seems to me that the majority of Cab's ive tried have a more robust, deeper taste, in comparison to the Merlots ive sampled?

I also really like the Menage Trois from Napa. A blend of 3 grapes (which i dont recall right now). Thats probably my favorite. Pretty trendy im sure.

Also I really enjoy Chardonnay. I feel feminine drinking it, but i cant hide my liking for it.