Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: The wine corner

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Since it was warm yesterday, we drank some 2009 Mount Fishtail Sauvignon Blanc. Stokes and Timmy, you might appreciate this one, as it's puckery dry and refreshing, like it's French counterpart, Sancerre. Average cost is about $12, but with my 20% discount, I paid $8. Also, like many wines from New Zealand, it has a screw top.

I'm giving up wine again, at least until Thursday. My head still hurts from Easter.

That looks great, with the warm weather on it's way, I'll have to pick up a bottle and give it a try.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I'm giving up wine again, at least until Thursday. My head still hurts from Easter.

That looks great, with the warm weather on it's way, I'll have to pick up a bottle and give it a try.

_
    Is that some kind of Jesus crack?!

Time to score some Famega for summertime sodawine

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Is that some kind of Jesus crack?!

Time to score some Famega for summertime sodawine
    Was it that obvious?

I'm going to buy Apremont by the case this year. We drink it like a 24 pack of Poland Spring.

And I WILL find Famega someway somehow this summer.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was it that obvious?

I'm going to buy Apremont by the case this year. We drink it like a 24 pack of Poland Spring.

And I WILL find Famega someway somehow this summer.

_
    Are you in Mass now?

did you drive?

find it there, buy a case.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you in Mass now?

did you drive?

find it there, buy a case.
    No, just drove up to Boston for the day yesterday. I didn't realize that's where I could have gotten it. Dang.

Going back in a few weeks, I'll definitely pick up a case.

_

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it's 9 percent for food in a restaurant and 10 percent for booze in a restaurant. We basically try and screw over the tourists. Of course we get screwed over as well.

Shaw's is a weird store. Food and booze are overpriced, but they have incredible sales. If you by something that's not on sale, bend over and grab something.

Do you drive by Albany on the way up here? I found a great wine store off the northway. Huge selection and cheap.
    Actually found the food items to be about a dollar cheaper than wehre I live also. They definately have good sales, and I do have a Shaws card that I only use when I go to VT.

Nope, I drive up I-91 to Brattleboro, then Route 30 with the speed limit at 50, until you pass through a town (Population 47) with a speed limit of 30 and get a speeding ticket.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife and i have been experimenting with the SeaRidge Budget series wines (more so me than her to keep it ever so real)

It is grown locally here in Sonoma, so by my baseless logic, i figure it might be just as good as the other wines more costly.

Its not that bad. The merlot and cab are very drinkable in my limited experience, and even the chardonnay was good (although it needed more bite imo).

At 2.99 per (2.70 if you buy a 4 pack) its a bargain at least.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have three batches of homemade wine kit wine ready now. Piesporter, Cabernet Sauvignon and Valpolicella. Still in the glass Carboys which I have been sampling from. I better get off my butt and bottle the stuff as I tend to drink more wine if I'm just thiefing it from the Carboy.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is Beerfish looking at this thread?

Wine goes well with fish.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Why is Beerfish looking at this thread?

Wine goes well with fish.
    And I still have not tried my hand at beer making yet! Each summer I confidently declare that I'm going to give it a go and each year I don't do it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I have three batches of homemade wine kit wine ready now. Piesporter, Cabernet Sauvignon and Valpolicella. Still in the glass Carboys which I have been sampling from. I better get off my butt and bottle the stuff as I tend to drink more wine if I'm just thiefing it from the Carboy.
    Nice!

Where did you get the grapes? Just curious.

Its funny how many people around here have mini vineyards in their backyards.

Lots of wild Artichokes for some strange reason here too.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post

My wife and i have been experimenting with the SeaRidge Budget series wines (more so me than her to keep it ever so real)

It is grown locally here in Sonoma, so by my baseless logic, i figure it might be just as good as the other wines more costly.

Its not that bad. The merlot and cab are very drinkable in my limited experience, and even the chardonnay was good (although it needed more bite imo).

At 2.99 per (2.70 if you buy a 4 pack) its a bargain at least.
    $2.99 a bottle? Wow, if it's any way decent, I'd drink that every day.

I've been looking at ways to save a few dollars in my budget, and I've recently discovered that my alcohol bill is rather expensive.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I didn't see your post.

What kind of syrup do you add to your grapes to make wine?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, these batches were just from store bought wine making kits. I will make my natural wine in the fall. I have a large pear tree in my back yard and a nice apple tree. I make pear and or pear/apple wine in the fall. A few years back I combined my pears with raspberries and some store bought blueberries. That combo turned out really nice.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    GF was over for brunch yesterday, had this Proseco called "Flor" that we bought at Tarry Lodge, Mario Battali's restaurant in Port Chester (actually, the market that he opened next door).

Very crisp, delicious---not sweet as some Proseco's are. Not sure if you can get it anywhere, may be a proprietary brand.

_

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    GF was over for brunch yesterday, had this Proseco called "Flor" that we bought at Tarry Lodge, Mario Battali's restaurant in Port Chester (actually, the market that he opened next door).

Very crisp, delicious---not sweet as some Proseco's are. Not sure if you can get it anywhere, may be a proprietary brand.

_
    Looks delicious and like a fun time. Generally, I prefer wines made in the méthode champenoise tradition over Prosecco. Again, in a broad sense, I find most Prosecco lacks the depth, and toasty notes, of Champagne or sparkling wines from other parts of France, the US, or Cava from Spain.

Next time you go wine shopping, look for this Cava sparkler. You will be shocked at the vintner's craftsmanship at about $9/bottle.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Looks delicious and like a fun time. Generally, I prefer wines made in the méthode champenoise tradition over Prosecco. Again, in a broad sense, I find most Prosecco lacks the depth, and toasty notes, of Champagne or sparkling wines from other parts of France, the US, or Cava from Spain.

Next time you go wine shopping, look for this Cava sparkler. You will be shocked at the vintner's craftsmanship at about $9/bottle.
    Honestly, I'm not a big Proseco fan either, but (shallowly, I'll admit) the bottle intrigued us.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I'm not a big Proseco fan either, but (shallowly, I'll admit) the bottle intrigued us.

_
    If you want to try something a little different you might try this one. Sancerre used to be my wine of choice, but the last few bottles I've had have been slightly disappointing. A good sancerre should have a strong taste of mineal and flint. This is pretty cheap for sancerre, most of them are around $25 so I don't know...it will be unoaked anyway.

Something to try....don't run out and get it. This isn't the easy call like Apramont or Famega. You won't hate it.

http://www.stewswinesny.com/r/produc...tuilieres-2008
    Last edited by Timmy®; 05-20-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to try something a little different you might try this one. Sancerre used to be my wine of choice, but the last few bottles I've had have been slightly disappointing. A good sancerre should have a strong taste of mineal and flint. This is pretty cheap for sancerre, most of them are around $25 so I don't know...it will be unoaked anyway.

Something to try....don't run out and get it. This isn't the easy call like Apramont or Famega. You won't hate it.

http://www.stewswinesny.com/r/produc...tuilieres-2008
    I'm a moron, I never even look at Sancerre's because I think Sauterne and immediately think cloyingly sweet. That looks like something I'll like.

_

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a moron, I never even look at Sancerre's because I think Sauterne and immediately think cloyingly sweet. That looks like something I'll like.

_
    France emphasizes towns, not the varietal. Just remember that Sancerre is made from sauvignon blanc. If you enjoy Sancerre, also look into one of my favorites, Pouilly-Fumé.