Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: The wine corner

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Just cracked open the second to last bottle of this...what I can only describe as Nectar of the Gods. Bought it whilst visiting my old college roommate on the Cote'd Azur--just up the block from where Raoul vacations in the summer.

Oldest daughtpne coming home from Boston for the weekend and making her some homemade pesto and about 10 quarts of chicken soup to bring back.

Good to have her home, if but just for a few days.

_
    Enjoy your time together. Wine looks really nice.

Hall Of Fame
    Another JI Wine of the Week e-mail. Looks like a good deal, but I hate cabs. I may unsubscribe.

EXCELSIORCabernet Sauvignon
    2008 - South Africa

6 for $30.00
    promo code "excelsior"
    regularly priced $7.97

Tasting Notes
    Blackberries, leather and cigar box spice unfold on the nose, while flavors of lush black plum, cherry, prosciutto and mocha fill the creamy mouthfeel and lead through to the long finish. A terrific value Cab thats a great choice for company to pair with a roast or steaks. Tasting Notes This delicious, crowd pleasing Cabernet consistently named a Wine Enthusiast "Best Buy" - delivers serious bang for the buck! It's packed with lip smacking flavors of blackcurrant, black cherry, and plum, with subtle hints of dark chocolate and spice.

Offer expires SUNDAY OCT 2nd
    _

All League
    I received a bottle of Rabbit Ridge cab sauv, 2005 over the holidays. Red label. I've had Rabbit Ridge before, and it's average. This, however, was a really good wine. I have no idea where my neighbor got it, they're not much of the drinking type.

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I received a bottle of Rabbit Ridge cab sauv, 2005 over the holidays. Red label. I've had Rabbit Ridge before, and it's average. This, however, was a really good wine. I have no idea where my neighbor got it, they're not much of the drinking type.

I have been underwhelmed with their regular label, too. (Bought it very cheap at Cost Plus when I lived in CA.) Thanks for bringing this up. Will check my wine shop.

I bought a couple of bottles of this Chianti the other day. It's very pleasant and easy on the wallet. About $8.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I have been underwhelmed with their regular label, too. (Bought it very cheap at Cost Plus when I lived in CA.) Thanks for bringing this up. Will check my wine shop.

I bought a couple of bottles of this Chianti the other day. It's very pleasant and easy on the wallet. About $8.

When Mrs. Big L and I looked at the Rabbit Ridge label with vintage 2005, and considering it came from our basically dry neighbors, we thought it would be awful. Au Contraire.

The wife and I have found Italian wines not to our liking. We've tried over and over, and find them basically weak. The best Italian wine seems like ordinary table wine. Same with Spanish wines. I think we're just not fans of Old World wines.

Hall Of Fame
    When Mrs. Big L and I looked at the Rabbit Ridge label with vintage 2005, and considering it came from our basically dry neighbors, we thought it would be awful. Au Contraire.

The wife and I have found Italian wines not to our liking. We've tried over and over, and find them basically weak. The best Italian wine seems like ordinary table wine. Same with Spanish wines. I think we're just not fans of Old World wines.
    there are a lot of red spanish wines made in new world style (steel tanks). if I want cheap red wine, these are my choice.

many if not most italian red wines definitely that old world, heavy tannins style

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    there are a lot of red spanish wines made in new world style (steel tanks). if I want cheap red wine, these are my choice.

many if not most italian red wines definitely that old world, heavy tannins style
    Chianti is made with sangiovese. It's light, but not as tannic as a Bordeaux. The bone dry fruit, with mouth puckering tannins, of Bordeaux style wines is what I love about them.

I can appreciate modern interpretations of old school wines (think Super Tuscans as an example), even every day jammy ones. But all things being equal, classic red Bordeaux would be my choice if i could only have one wine for the rest of my life.

All League
    Chianti is made with sangiovese. It's light, but not as tannic as a Bordeaux. The bone dry fruit, with mouth puckering tannins, of Bordeaux style wines is what I love about them.

I can appreciate modern interpretations of old school wines (think Super Tuscans as an example), even every day jammy ones. But all things being equal, classic red Bordeaux would be my choice if i could only have one wine for the rest of my life.
    I would go with California cab sauv.

Veteran
    Anyone try this white wine?

The liquor store person recommended it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    if I want cheap red wine
    Yeah, I'm thinking you do. Has a winemaker hollowed out an airplane yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    The liquor store person recommended it.
    Liquor store person?

Are you a monied, shut-in?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking you do. Has a winemaker hollowed out an airplane yet?

Liquor store person?

Are you a monied, shut-in?

LOL, I wish.

I went to Spec's, our largest liquor store around here.

It was a slow day, I guess, and some bored salesperson followed me around, asking if she could help or give me a recommendation.

I kept saying I was fine, and walked away. But later she found me in the wine aisle and picked up a bottle and just had to give her recommendation.

Wondering if any one has ever tasted this particular wine.

I would go with California cab sauv.
    Pretty much, that's the CA version of Bordeaux. (I like those wines a whole bunch, too.) The French, most often, will blend the cabernet sauvignon with cabernet franc and merlot. And, they will age the wine in non-toasted oak, unlike most of their California brethren, which I prefer.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    Wondering if any one has ever tasted this particular wine.
    Wondering iffin she really worked there.

Checked your bag?

-

All League
    http://www.wineloverspage.com/wineadvisor

Put in your email address and they'll email you some wines to try each week.

Bewildered Beast
    Pretty much, that's the CA version of Bordeaux. (I like those wines a whole bunch, too.) The French, most often, will blend the cabernet sauvignon with cabernet franc and merlot. And, they will age the wine in non-toasted oak, unlike most of their California brethren, which I prefer.
    What makes it "chalky"? I've tried Chateau Petrus and several other bordeaux's; I like cabernets, that's my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    What makes it "chalky"? I've tried Chateau Petrus and several other bordeaux's; I like cabernets, that's my favorite.
    Do you mean that it makes your mouth pucker? If so, those are the tannins.

"Tried" Petrus? I want to hang out with you, my friend. That is, arguably, one of the finest wine making chateaus in France, and the world. The early 60s vintages are legendary. Two best wines I ever drank were Petrus and Chateau Talbot.

Bewildered Beast
    Do you mean that it makes your mouth pucker? If so, those are the tannins.

"Tried" Petrus? I want to hang out with you, my friend. That is, arguably, one of the finest wine making chateaus in France, and the world. The early 60s vintages are legendary. Two best wines I ever drank were Petrus and Chateau Talbot.
    Any time; just make sure you show up with an $800 bottle of Bordeaux.

Ahhhh....the FRENCH!

All Pro
    Life is a cabernet, old chum.

Jets Insider VIP
    Any time; just make sure you show up with an $800 bottle of Bordeaux.

Ahhhh....the FRENCH!
    Is this when I'm supposed to fart?

Bought a mixed case at my regular wine shop yesterday. Mostly reds with a few select whites. One of the whites, a 2009 St. Andre de Figuiere Cotes de Provence Cuvee Valerie Blanc ($9.99 before my 20% discount), just looked too interesting to pass up. That house makes a great rosé.

I opened it last night and it is amazing. Dry with a lemony mineral finish, unexpectedly complex. (Think Timmy and Stokes will like this one.) It's a blend of Vermentino, Ugni Blanc, and Sémillon, the first two I've never encountered before. Those varietals must grow well in the Provence.

Anyway, buy some if you can find it. Hope they have some for summer sipping.