Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 600 of 682

Thread: The wine corner

  1. #581
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,886
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    He's good friends with my parents....



    ....despite 32's doosh chills.
    I have nothing good to say about anyone, dont sweat it.


  2. #582
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Maynard James Keenan, singer from Tool, owns a winery in arizona. Here he is with, well he needs no introduction.
    Thanks, Timmy. Wine looks interesting.

    I agree with 32. Draft douche is annoying as hell.

  3. #583
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,886
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post

    I agree with 32. Draft douche is annoying as hell.
    THough...to his psuedo-credit...I still think him being behind Poli in one of his Sanchez's amigos photos during a road game...totally coincidentally...is a site top ten moment.

    "Hey gang...here's me at the game!"

    "Wait..is that...no. Yes. Is that draft doosh...no way....right behind you..."

    "ha ha no way. oh crap. I didnt see him. ha ha you guys suck"



  4. #584
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Thanks, Timmy. Wine looks interesting.

    I agree with 32. Draft douche is annoying as hell.
    I'm on a Tool mailing list and get "offers" about his wines. Some are in triple figures. I think there may be some $30 bottles, but they always seem to be suspiciously sold out.

  5. #585
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    He's good friends with my parents....

    we won't hold it against you......



    but a red flag just popped up

  6. #586
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Such a nice, almost-Spring, day that we are sipping some of this French Chardonnay (2009 Domaine Caton). Crisp and delicious.


  7. #587
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just recently had a bottle of Chateau Florie Aude 2009 Bordeaux



    and another bottle of Chateau Millegrand Grande Reserve 2009.



    I've heard 2009 is 'sposed to be one hell of a vintage in France. From those two bottles, I can tell you that's absolute crap. Not impressed with either bottle, one bit. Average table wine for drinking on a Tuesday night, not for Saturday night medium rare filet mignon on the grill.

  8. #588
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, French wine disscussion I thought would be a Borgoguy dog whistle.


    Anyone see the movie Bottle Shock? Based on the Judgement of Paris?

  9. #589
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,070
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Just recently had a bottle of Chateau Florie Aude 2009 Bordeaux



    and another bottle of Chateau Millegrand Grande Reserve 2009.



    I've heard 2009 is 'sposed to be one hell of a vintage in France. From those two bottles, I can tell you that's absolute crap. Not impressed with either bottle, one bit. Average table wine for drinking on a Tuesday night, not for Saturday night medium rare filet mignon on the grill.
    Just asking; did you decant the Bordeaux? Might make a difference? Asking.

  10. #590
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Just asking; did you decant the Bordeaux? Might make a difference? Asking.
    No, did not.

    Generally not a fan of decanting, and I thought decanting was more for older wines so you wouldn't pour the settled tanins at the bottom of the bottle in to your glass.

    Certainly did pour a glass and sample right away, and then sipped it for 30 minutes to see how it changed. No real improvement after breathing.

  11. #591
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,070
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    No, did not.

    Generally not a fan of decanting, and I thought decanting was more for older wines so you wouldn't pour the settled tanins at the bottom of the bottle in to your glass.

    Certainly did pour a glass and sample right away, and then sipped it for 30 minutes to see how it changed. No real improvement after breathing.
    Right; it has been so long for me with all that. My wife stopped drinking 22 years ago.

    Anyway, that was the answer I was looking for.

  12. #592
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Right; it has been so long for me with all that. My wife stopped drinking 22 years ago.

    Anyway, that was the answer I was looking for.
    Glad I passed the pop quiz, sir.

  13. #593
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Just recently had a bottle of Chateau Florie Aude 2009 Bordeaux



    and another bottle of Chateau Millegrand Grande Reserve 2009.



    I've heard 2009 is 'sposed to be one hell of a vintage in France. From those two bottles, I can tell you that's absolute crap. Not impressed with either bottle, one bit. Average table wine for drinking on a Tuesday night, not for Saturday night medium rare filet mignon on the grill.

    Yep. 2009 is now recognized as one of the legendary years for French wine. Nice selections.

  14. #594
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Wow, French wine disscussion I thought would be a Borgoguy dog whistle.


    Anyone see the movie Bottle Shock? Based on the Judgement of Paris?
    I'm not a huge wine drinker, but I had the opportunity to meet and chat with George Taber once. What a fascinating story. Nice guy too.

  15. #595
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Yep. 2009 is now recognized as one of the legendary years for French wine. Nice selections.
    If that's the best France has to offer, I'm never wasting my money on French wine again.

    :shakescane:

  16. #596
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Wow, French wine disscussion I thought would be a Borgoguy dog whistle.


    Anyone see the movie Bottle Shock? Based on the Judgement of Paris?
    Did not, but liked the book. Is what he says true, that the blind California vs. France tasting in Paris revolutionized the wine industry, or is that just the author's inflated sense of self for being there that day?

  17. #597
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyahay bus View Post
    Did not, but liked the book. Is what he says true, that the blind California vs. France tasting in Paris revolutionized the wine industry, or is that just the author's inflated sense of self for being there that day?
    Quite honestly, I didn't know much about it until a week ago when a sommelier was telling me about the event, and I saw the movie a couple days ago. Good movie, great story. USA! USA! USA! Also, apparently in 2006 for the 30th anniversary of the first competition, the same guy did it agian, and AGAIN California wines beat out the French wines.

    Do you remember who wrote the book? Taber? It looks like blind tastings have been held numerous times between California and France, and USA dominates.

    Check out wiki- looks like California beats France almost every time, hands down. I'd agree!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Paris_(wine)
    Last edited by Big L; 03-16-2012 at 03:50 PM.

  18. #598
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    If that's the best France has to offer, I'm never wasting my money on French wine again.

    :shakescane:
    They're okay wines. From what I've read in the past from you, your palate in more in tune with California versions of French Bordeaux wines. Which is totally fine.

    Personally, I have enjoyed California immensely, especially at the various chateau when I lived out there. But, i'd much would prefer to drink French (not just Bordeaux, but many other varietals) and Italian wines by a mile. They are more suited to my taste.

  19. #599
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,070
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Glad I passed the pop quiz, sir.
    You have the board; you can take the gay guy in the middle; or the REALLY ghey guy in the corner (waving his arms) to block.

  20. #600
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,070
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I'm not a huge wine drinker, but I had the opportunity to meet and chat with George Taber once. What a fascinating story. Nice guy too.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us