Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: The wine corner

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    They're okay wines. From what I've read in the past from you, your palate in more in tune with California versions of French Bordeaux wines. Which is totally fine.

Personally, I have enjoyed California immensely, especially at the various chateau when I lived out there. But, i'd much would prefer to drink French (not just Bordeaux, but many other varietals) and Italian wines by a mile. They are more suited to my taste.

Mine too. I find the California reds way too forward. I don't know a lot about Italian wines, but the French have the reds, and most certainly whites, down.

All League
    They're okay wines. From what I've read in the past from you, your palate in more in tune with California versions of French Bordeaux wines. Which is totally fine.

Personally, I have enjoyed California immensely, especially at the various chateau when I lived out there. But, i'd much would prefer to drink French (not just Bordeaux, but many other varietals) and Italian wines by a mile. They are more suited to my taste.
    I am definitely a new world fan. The wine trial, I find interesting, we're blind taste tests, with French judges. Even the french thought, when asked simply which was better, picked the California wines. Obviously, means nothing. What any one person likes compared to another is moot. I like red wine with fish, so go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    You have the board; you can take the gay guy in the middle; or the REALLY ghey guy in the corner (waving his arms) to block.
    X gets the square.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I like red wine with fish, so go figure.
    i know what someone is going to do here.

I am definitely a new world fan. The wine trial, I find interesting, we're blind taste tests, with French judges. Even the french thought, when asked simply which was better, picked the California wines. Obviously, means nothing. What any one person likes compared to another is moot. I like red wine with fish, so go figure.
    For me, the sad part is that most of us will never sample that legendary '73 Stag's Leap. Back then, Napa--as well as all the other California wine producing areas--was a sleepy town with a few passionate winemakers who wanted to elevate the quality of what their region usually produced: cheap jug/table wine.

My guess is that the winning Stag's Leap was more akin to the French Bordeaux they were attempting to emulate than the majority of wines produced in California today. With your "New World" palate, I would also bet that you would not have liked the Stag's Leap. Why? Because you're accustomed to the over-oaked (sic), fruit forward varietals California now produces.

California wine became big business. And, with the influx of neophyte winemakers looking to capitalize on this newly found love of California wine, and an entire generation trained in the craft at schools like Cal Davis instead of in the fields and caves like myriad European producers, came a diminishment (my opinion) of the California product. Of course, the high end California vintners of today produce stunningly good wine. But, IMO, the typical varietals are better in France and Italy.

As I always tell friends, drink what you like and tell anyone who has a problem with it to f**k off. Drinking wine is supposed to be a pleasurable activity, not a contest or combative sport.

ASIDE: Big L, I noticed in another post that you said you like red wine with some fish dishes. This is perfectly acceptable and, in many cases, preferable. Most white wines would not stand up to blackened fish dishes, or those with complex sauces. They would float on top of your palate and either get lost or fight the dish. Lighter bodied reds like Pinot Noir (Burgundy, Washington State, or Russian River Valley for my taste) or an Italian Barbera would work very well.

All League
    For me, the sad part is that most of us will never sample that legendary '73 Stag's Leap. Back then, Napa--as well as all the other California wine producing areas--was a sleepy town with a few passionate winemakers who wanted to elevate the quality of what their region usually produced: cheap jug/table wine.

My guess is that the winning Stag's Leap was more akin to the French Bordeaux they were attempting to emulate than the majority of wines produced in California today. With your "New World" palate, I would also bet that you would not have liked the Stag's Leap. Why? Because you're accustomed to the over-oaked (sic), fruit forward varietals California now produces.

California wine became big business. And, with the influx of neophyte winemakers looking to capitalize on this newly found love of California wine, and an entire generation trained in the craft at schools like Cal Davis instead of in the fields and caves like myriad European producers, came a diminishment (my opinion) of the California product. Of course, the high end California vintners of today produce stunningly good wine. But, IMO, the typical varietals are better in France and Italy.

As I always tell friends, drink what you like and tell anyone who has a problem with it to f**k off. Drinking wine is supposed to be a pleasurable activity, not a contest or combative sport.

ASIDE: Big L, I noticed in another post that you said you like red wine with some fish dishes. This is perfectly acceptable and, in many cases, preferable. Most white wines would not stand up to blackened fish dishes, or those with complex sauces. They would float on top of your palate and either get lost or fight the dish. Lighter bodied reds like Pinot Noir (Burgundy, Washington State, or Russian River Valley for my taste) or an Italian Barbera would work very well.
    Agreed with the first bolder portion, but would also note these "trials" we're repeated in the eighties, nineties, and again in 2006. Same results.

And could not agree more with your second bonded section. I like what I like, and if it doesn't agree with some set of rules or what someone wrote in a book, I don't care.

Saw this "Pinot Chardonnay" the other day and gave it a shot.

Here's a review I found online. Timmy, I think you would dig this one. Cost me about $8. Also has a screw top which you know has me psyched.

A refreshing, dry Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc blend. This wine comes from a single estate in the Languedoc with old vine plantings. Vinified in stainless steel, this wine has beautiful fresh fruit aromas with a hint of minerality, medium bodied and lively flavors, this reminds a lot of Chablis at a fraction of the price. One exceptional white wine value! Drink now.

Hall Of Fame
    Saw this "Pinot Chardonnay" the other day and gave it a shot.

Here's a review I found online. Timmy, I think you would dig this one. Cost me about $8. Also has a screw top which you know has me psyched.

A refreshing, dry Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc blend. This wine comes from a single estate in the Languedoc with old vine plantings. Vinified in stainless steel, this wine has beautiful fresh fruit aromas with a hint of minerality, medium bodied and lively flavors, this reminds a lot of Chablis at a fraction of the price. One exceptional white wine value! Drink now.
    Where'd you get that?

Sounds like it's up my alley.

_

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Where'd you get that?

Sounds like it's up my alley.

_
    Not at Suburban. Sometimes, I go to Shopping Center Wine & Liquor in Mohegan Lake (next to Kohl's). Very good prices and selection. They give you 10% off a case (and even a six bottle tab), including sparkling wine (not Champagne). Although I get 20% off at Suburban, they won't discount sparkling wine.

I was looking at French whites and saw the Pinot Blanc/Chardonnay blend. I really like it. Will go back to buy a few more if they still have any left.

All League
    If red wines go, in rough order, from robust to mellow-

Zinfandel
    Cabernet Sauvignon
    Pinot noir/Merlot
    Beaujolais

What would white wine in the same order be? All I have is

Chardonnay
    Sauvignon blanc
    Riesling

And that may not even be a correct order.
    Last edited by Big L; 03-20-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Zinfandel
    Cabernet Sauvignon
    Pinot noir/Merlot
    Beaujolais

Chardonnay
    Sauvignon blanc
    Riesling

You need to taste more. As a few examples of reds (in no order), you're missing/need to try: Nebbiolo (Barolo/Barbaresco), Cabernet Franc, Gamay, Barbera, Nero d'Avola, Syrah, Sangiovese, Malbec, Mourvèdre, Grenache, Tempranillo, and lots of others.

For whites: Viognier, Pinot Gris (Grigio), Gewürztraminer, Picpoul de Pinet (one of my favorite Summer quaffs), Jacquère (Timmy and Stokes' favorite Apremont is made from this grape), etc....

Ordering them, IMO, is based on individual taste/preference.

Hall Of Fame

Zinfandel
    Cabernet Sauvignon
    Pinot noir/Merlot
    Beaujolais

Chardonnay
    Sauvignon blanc
    Riesling

Borgo is right, but very specific--I think you are close on your rankings--probably Merlot a little more robust than Pinot Noir, but I don't drink a lot of Merlots.

On the whites--I go Chard then Sav Blanc--never even look at Reislings. And I never drink Chards because I don't want robust in my whites

_

All League
    Borgo is right, but very specific--I think you are close on your rankings--probably Merlot a little more robust than Pinot Noir, but I don't drink a lot of Merlots.

On the whites--I go Chard then Sav Blanc--never even look at Reislings. And I never drink Chards because I don't want robust in my whites

_
    I'm with you on the whites. Now that the weather has turned warm, I'm back to including whites in my drinking regimen. For everyday white, I drink the Barefoot Sauv. Blanc, and even throw an ice cube or two in it. I know, !

Hall Of Fame
    I'm with you on the whites. Now that the weather has turned warm, I'm back to including whites in my drinking regimen. For everyday white, I drink the Barefoot Sauv. Blanc, and even throw an ice cube or two in it. I know, !
    We will go through no less than 30 gallons of Barefoot Sauv Blanc this summer. We easliy do two 1.5 litres a weekend, and one is always cracked in the chillchest.

The crispest SB I've found and cold, it's so refreshing. Cannot beat the price.

+1 on the cubes.

_

All League
    We will go through no less than 30 gallons of Barefoot Sauv Blanc this summer. We easliy do two 1.5 litres a weekend, and one is always cracked in the chillchest.

+1 on the cubes.

_
    I like the New Zealand SB's the best, but too pricey to drink every day. My wifes a Chardonney drinker, so in the warmer months theres always a 1.5 of Yellowtail chardonney and a 1.5 of Barefoot SB in the fridge!

Hall Of Fame

+1 on the cubes.

_
    Have you found Famega Vihno Verde yet?

It should be in the Apremont, Barefoot SB summer pool wine rotation.

If you have people over for a summer gathering, I doubt you'd find a safer white wine than Famega

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    If you have people over for a summer gathering, I doubt you'd find a safer white wine than Famega
    Wtf...summer gathering?

-

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Wtf...summer gathering?

-
    Culottes optional.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Culottes optional.
    I never know whether to imagine him sprawled face down in the Port Authority....or sniffing wine corks with ascot sporting dandies at Gatsby's.

SUmmer gatherings.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Mine too. I find the California reds way too forward.
    Oh do you now.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Oh do you now.
    One time, his wine was so forward, he had to chase it to drink it.

-