Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 682

Thread: The wine corner

  1. #81
    Board Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn Heights
    Posts
    2,462
    I love this stuff!


  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Ha Ha Ha View Post
    I love this stuff!

    I've been reading the last couple of years that box wine has gotten really good. How do you rate it, HHH?

  3. #83
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    It's all relative
    Posts
    3,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I've been reading the last couple of years that box wine has gotten really good. How do you rate it, HHH?
    Quality has improved, Borg. Black Box is a pretty good boxed wine. One of the recent Wine Spectator's (within the last 3 issues) reviewed and recommended a few of the better boxed wines.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Quality has improved, Borg. Black Box is a pretty good boxed wine. One of the recent Wine Spectator's (within the last 3 issues) reviewed and recommended a few of the better boxed wines.
    Thanks for the tip and information, Big L. Think I'll check out the box. Seriously.

  5. #85
    For Timmy: If you love Apremont, try Abymes.

    Finally remembered the wine I drank in the Savoie which you should try, if you haven't already: Abymes. I visited vineyards right at the foot of Mount Granier and sampled several Abymes which were as dry and flinty as you could possibly craft them. Hope you can find it.


  6. #86
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    For Timmy: If you love Apremont, try Abymes.

    Finally remembered the wine I drank in the Savoie which you should try, if you haven't already: Abymes. I visited vineyards right at the foot of Mount Granier and sampled several Abymes which were as dry and flinty as you could possibly craft them. Hope you can find it.

    Sounds like exactly what I like. Hopefully I can find it around here. If not I can probably find it in Montreal, as they like their French wine up there. Thanks Borg.

  7. #87
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Timmmy, Borgo--had this last night with the GF.

    Me likey She loved it.

    REAL nice--very light, very crisp, a great drinking Sauvignon. This could be my summer white of choice! Thanks.


  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Timmmy, Borgo--had this last night with the GF.

    Me likey She loved it.

    REAL nice--very light, very crisp, a great drinking Sauvignon. This could be my summer white of choice! Thanks.

    It's actually made from 100% Jacquère, the native grape of the Savoie. This varietal is almost unknown in the US. You and Timmy have inspired me to go track down a bottle. Glad you and your lady both enjoyed it. Check out my post above to Timmy on Abymes, a similar, crisp wine from that region.

  9. #89
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Timmmy, Borgo--had this last night with the GF.

    Me likey She loved it.

    REAL nice--very light, very crisp, a great drinking Sauvignon. This could be my summer white of choice! Thanks.

    Glad you enjoyed it Stokes.

  10. #90
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    It's actually made from 100% Jacquère, the native grape of the Savoie. This varietal is almost unknown in the US. You and Timmy have inspired me to go track down a bottle. Glad you and your lady both enjoyed it. Check out my post above to Timmy on Abymes, a similar, crisp wine from that region.
    My local guy had it. HE told me it was a Sauvignon.

    Was really very refreshing

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    My local guy had it. HE told me it was a Sauvignon.

    Was really very refreshing
    He's a dick. If not but to teach, why am I here?

  12. #92
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    My local guy had it. HE told me it was a Sauvignon.

    Was really very refreshing
    Stokes. like I said it's a no-brainer party wine. It's dry and crisp for the dry fans
    yet there's just a touchof fruit for the fruit fans. My wife claims most of the white wines I drink taste like club soda, but she likes this one. Perfect for a warm summer evening outside.

    Like I said though, don't serve it after an aggressive white wine, like a California Chardonnay or it will come across as water.

  13. #93
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Stokes. like I said it's a no-brainer party wine. It's dry and crisp for the dry fans
    yet there's just a touchof fruit for the fruit fans. My wife claims most of the white wines I drink taste like club soda, but she likes this one. Perfect for a warm summer evening outside.

    Like I said though, don't serve it after an aggressive white wine, like a California Chardonnay or it will come across as water.
    That will NEVER happen. Not a big Chardonnay fan .

    Too much aggression in this world, the last thing I want it from is my white wine I like nice crisp clean delicate whites.

    I save aggression for my reds. And Rex Ryan defenses.

  14. #94
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    That will NEVER happen. Not a big Chardonnay fan .

    Too much aggression in this world, the last thing I want it from is my white wine I like nice crisp clean delicate whites.

    I save aggression for my reds. And Rex Ryan defenses.
    Yeah, I figured that. I mean just in case someone at a party pulls out a big white wine.

    To be honest I like very few white wines and almost all of them are french. I almost like italian pinot griggio, I may not have had the right ones. I drink dry Chilean Sauvagnion blancs when I have to watch the money. There are decent dry cheap portugese white wines too. That's pretty much it.

  15. #95
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Yeah, I figured that. I mean just in case someone at a party pulls out a big white wine.

    To be honest I like very few white wines and almost all of them are french. I almost like italian pinot griggio, I may not have had the right ones. I drink dry Chilean Sauvagnion blancs when I have to watch the money. There are decent dry cheap portugese white wines too. That's pretty much it.
    Have you tried Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio?

    It's the best Pinot I've ever had--as good as any I tried even locally in the Veneto.

    Some would say it is overrated, and it costs much more than your normal Califonia or Italian Pinot, but it is great. When I say much more--it's usually about $24-$28 a bottle-which is almost too much to spend on any white.

    Pinot Grigio's are looked down on by wine snobs, but for me, they are easily the most consistent light refreshing summer whites you can buy. I prefer Sauvignon Blancs (agree on the Chilean ones), but every once in a while I'll get a funky one--not so with Pinot's for me.

    I don't think there is any need ever to spend $90 for a bottle of white wine--IMHO--and I've had $10 whites that taste as good as some $70 bottles I've tried (again--not counting the hoity-toity Chards). But I also have no problem putting about 5 cubes in a plastic tumbler and topping it off with Frascati for poolside imbibing

  16. #96
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Yeah, I figured that. I mean just in case someone at a party pulls out a big white wine.
    My brother-in-law got 4 cases of this HUGE oaky California Chardonnay from his parents and every time I go over there for a party--Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas, summer BBQ's, etc., he cracks a bottle or two and starts pouring liberally.

    Tastes like monkey piss with a little sweat from the monkey's balls mixed in. Can't even smell it, mush less drink it.

    I always bring my own wine as a party gift, insisting he opens it up.

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Borgo- haven't always been a fan of Muscat. Sweet dessert wines have never been a favorite--although when I was in Florence in May, they served us something I had never had before--Vin Santo--and I loved it! Smuggled a bottle back--great subtle flavor made in the Chianti region.

    I needed the money

  18. #98
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    I needed the money
    Hahaha!! Just busting your balls for busting mine

    How did you even SEE that!

  19. #99
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Have you tried Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio?
    Thanks I'll look out for it.

    Have you ever tried Famega from Portugal-another summer wine. Very crisp with a citrusy, slightly fizzy, flavor. Don't expect Apremont, it's not nearly as refined. Definitely tastes cheaper, but might be a good poolside selection. This one is even more of a summer wine than Apremont. Here's a link to the label and a review. It's definitely has that crispy, dry finish we both seem to like. It's also good for chicks who don't know s*** about wine. It's only about eight bucks. Only complaint is it doesn't have as much alcohol as we might like.

    http://wine-scamp.com/2007/08/29/tas...inho-verde-nv/

  20. #100
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Thanks I'll look out for it.

    Have you ever tried Famega from Portugal-another summer wine. Very crisp with a citrusy, slightly fizzy, flavor. Don't expect Apremont, it's not nearly as refined. Definitely tastes cheaper, but might be a good poolside selection. This one is even more of a summer wine than Apremont. Here's a link to the label and a review. It's definitely has that crispy, dry finish we both seem to like. It's also good for chicks who don't know s*** about wine. It's only about eight bucks. Only complaint is it doesn't have as much alcohol as we might like.

    http://wine-scamp.com/2007/08/29/tas...inho-verde-nv/
    Isn't that what ruffies are for?

    I'll look for it, but btw, the Apremont was only $10!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us