Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The wine corner

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Isn't that what ruffies are for?

I'll look for it, but btw, the Apremont was only $10!
    WTF!!!!!!!!! It's $16 up here

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Penfolds Bin 407 Cabernet Sauvignon 2004

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    WTF!!!!!!!!! It's $16 up here
    $10.49. The 2008.

I bought 2.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished dinner, and am continuing to enjoy a nice 2005 Nero d'Avola from Sicily.

Last edited by Borgoguy; 10-17-2009 at 08:05 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a little rich for my blood. I might do something like that once every couple of years. I sometimes go thirty for a Washington state cab, and even that's high end for me.
    Try the 2003 Cynthus Napa Cab. $28 from the Wine Legend (internet price) If you go to the store in Livingston, make sure you ask for the internet price (otherwise it's $35). Drinks like a $75 cab. Great value. Blows the snot out of Silver Oak. Just opened a 2003 Silver Oak (Napa) that cost $72 (on sale from $90) and was hugely disappointed. Hard to beleieve the Alexander tastes better.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a big fan of Pinot Noir, specifically ones from the Carneros region. "Shrug" is one of my favorites around the $20 price point. Seemingly about 3 times a year, I get on a wine kick. Primarily now during football season though, it's beer.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please suggest your favorite wines. Be specific. Disregard those who come here and mock sophistication. For those people I suggest a newly formed Schaeffer/Utica Club forum to be moderated by 32Green.
    I'm stationed in the central coast, me and my wife go wine tasting a lot and our favorite place is Bridlewood winery. Very good wines also nice priceses. This is their site. www.bridlewoodwinery.com

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    duckhorn merlot ($$)

cakebread merlot ($$)

antinori tingnanello "super tuscan" ($$$)

silveroak cab ($$$)

stag's leap petite syrah ($$)

joseph phelp insignia cab ($$$)

they're all bit pricey - the duckhorn may be the most reasonable. i picked these because they're the ones that consistently get strong positive eye-openers-after-first-sip response when i serve them to my friends/ guests.

i didn't write the vintage becaue that pretty much goes with location & grape, not so much with winery, i think. you'll know by the price right away, anyway. but can't go wrong with what's available in the wine stores for the above.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those of you drinking ten dollar California and Australian red wines, may I suggest that you walk over to the Spain, Argentina and Chile aisles as I believe they offer the best values in wine. As much as I love French wine (I really need to know more about Italian wine too), many of the cheaper Spanish and South American wines will have the fruit forwardness of the Australian and American wines you are familiar with. Many of you will probably,at this point, consider french wines to be too subtle and many Italian to be too tannic (think licking your baseball glove when standing in the outfield as a kid.) Eventually you will find Italian and French wines to be great, but I think Spanish/South American is a good second step.

From Spain try a Grenache or a Garnacha. Fairly fruit forward. Las Rocas is a solid wine and available everywhere for about ten or eleven dollars.

Also from Spain, try a Tempranillo. Fruit forward with a little earthiness and spicy finish.

From Argentina try a Malbec. I'm not as high on these as I was a few years ago because they are being way overproduced. Most are fairly fruit forward, especially in the lower price range. Still a nice wine and good for parties as most people will enjoy them.

Many folks enjoy the red wines from Chile but I haven't had as much luck, so I won't discuss them.
    I have found that as long as it comes from the Mendosa region it is a great wine at any price. My wife and I have tried some that cost as little as 9 bucks a bottle that were fantastic. If you like Cab Sav try Nappa valley. Cost about 12-14 bucks but is also fantastic.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all of your responses, I'll keep an eye out for all of them but probably find just a few of them. Will give the California Cabs another try, it has been a while as I've been drinking Washington State reds. Agree on the Mendoza Valley, unbeatable values. Bridlewood? I haven't heard of that one. Will check it out.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a head's up:

You can start stockpiling on 2009 Bordeaux as it's going to be a fantastic year. 2005 was excellent, except not much quantity. 2009 will have both: quantity and quality.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Just a head's up:

You can start stockpiling on 2009 Bordeaux as it's going to be a fantastic year. 2005 was excellent, except not much quantity. 2009 will have both: quantity and quality.
    Thanks for the heads up, 05 was great.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mrs. FF2® likes Riesling.

Recommendations?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post

Recommendations?
    Find a girlfriend with more discerning taste.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post

Recommendations?
    I typically hate rieslings, but if you want a tasty one, check out

http://www.marthaclaravineyards.com/...&products_id=8y

They also have a decent Gewürztraminer (since your wife likes the sweeter stuff).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Just a head's up:

Off the the wine store tonite--good to know. Thanks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

JStokes hits MRS FF2 and Mrs Timmy with one stone

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

2007 Clos de los Siete

I'll throw this one out there, probably around $17 most places.
    A blend of Malbec, Merlot, Cab and Syrah. Fruit forward but not jammy.
    Some spice. My only minor complaint is the 14.5 alcohol tastes a little hot right out of the bottle. Air it out for a few hours.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL! I have tried many times--from very respected producers--but I just don't get this varietal. The overt sweetness fights with my palate.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    LOL! I have tried many times--from very respected producers--but I just don't get this varietal. The overt sweetness fights with my palate.
    Sometimes its not about you.

What Mrs. FF2® wants, Mrs. FF2® gets.