Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The wine corner

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I just saw that my wine store just got their annual stock of Beaujolais Nouveau.

Anyone else imbibe this?

_
    Not a fan of the Beaujolais. Tastes like watered down weak grape juice.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I just saw that my wine store just got their annual stock of Beaujolais Nouveau.

Anyone else imbibe this?

_
    bleech pituoey

cable guy

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    check it out, Larry the Cable Guy just walked into Bloomingdales.
    Listen, you are the only poster I envision with fur, so dont get all uppity.

Kind of like a backwoods Pigpen. Clouds of dust, blackened fingee nails and such.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Not a fan of the Beaujolais. Tastes like watered down weak grape juice.
    Yeah, it is a little weak. Just tradition, always grab a few for Thanksgiving for early in the day--put it outside to chill and quaf a glass or two like grape soda.

Instead of water. Or beer.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Yeah, it is a little weak. Just tradition, always grab a few for Thanksgiving for early in the day--put it outside to chill and quaf a glass or two like grape soda.

Instead of water. Or beer.

_
    do you still drink apremont?

I found another french unoaked white wine I like, it's a petit chablis but I'll have to re-check to see who makes it. It's pretty minerally so it's not a slam dunk with chicks, but most would like it.

There was another white wine I pitched here before but the 09 sucks so I'm
    not giving it a rec. I won't put the bottle up to confuse you, none of you could find it anyway.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

There was another white wine I pitched here before but the 09 sucks so I'm
    not giving it a rec. I won't put the bottle up to confuse you, none of you could find it anyway.
    sweet review!

um, wut? lol

Anyone else imbibe this?

_
    To keep up the tradition, I buy a bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau and Gamay when they are released. They are young wines to be appreciated as such and nothing more.

I had the good fortune of taking a culinary study in the Bourgogne. The wines there are not to be believed, as is the food. Other than maybe wines made in Oregon or Washington State, you will never drink better Pinot Noir.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    To keep up the tradition, I buy a bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau and Gamay when they are released. They are young wines to be appreciated as such and nothing more.

I had the good fortune of taking a culinary study in the Bourgogne. The wines there are not to be believed, as is the food. Other than maybe wines made in Oregon or Washington State, you will never drink better Pinot Noir.
    Had this at a party a few months ago and won't buy another pinot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Had this at a party a few months ago and won't buy another pinot.

That's some party. Kudos. The character of pinots made in the Willamette Valley are totally different from their French cousins. Both outstanding.

Hall Of Fame
    Of course! I always grab 2 or 3 whenever I'm at the wine shop that sells it.

This.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Of course! I always grab 2 or 3 whenever I'm at the wine shop that sells it.

This.

_
    See if you can find this particular one, if not try any petit chablis. Petit is low end on the Chablis totem pole. They are Chardonnay and almost always unoaked. If you like Apremont you might like this.

People in the US think of chablis as California garbage wines in giant bottles, so a lot of people shy away from these.

http://www.snooth.com/wine/la-chabli...hablis-2007-1/

Hall Of Fame
    Just bought 4 bottles of Apremont, $10.99 a piece. They moved the spot in the rack where they used to be and I panicked but the wine guy found if for me.

_

Hall Of Fame
    See if you can find this particular one, if not try any petit chablis. Petit is low end on the Chablis totem pole. They are Chardonnay and almost always unoaked. If you like Apremont you might like this.

People in the US think of chablis as California garbage wines in giant bottles, so a lot of people shy away from these.

http://www.snooth.com/wine/la-chabli...hablis-2007-1/
    Didn't have it. I may have to go down to Stew Leonards.

_

Following up on an earlier post, I just bought a case of wine, including one bottle of 2010 Duboeuf Beaujolais Nouveau. In a sign of things to come--and as we discussed in another thread--this year's vintage has a screw top.

All League
    Following up on an earlier post, I just bought a case of wine, including one bottle of 2010 Duboeuf Beaujolais Nouveau. In a sign of things to come--and as we discussed in another thread--this year's vintage has a screw top.
    Nothing wrong with screw top wines. I've had many good quality wines with screw tops.

Besides, a screw top is certainly fitting for your beaujolais grape juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Nothing wrong with screw top wines. I've had many good quality wines with screw tops.

Besides, a screw top is certainly fitting for your beaujolais grape juice.
    Me, too. I was following up on a discussion concerning screw tops we had a while back. I absolutely love the idea. No more off-tasting wines because of bad corks.

As I said above, I buy a bottle of the "juice" every year for tradition and to get an idea about this year's vintage in the Bourgogne.

All League
    Someone suggested a Guwurztrminer(SP?) goes great on Turkey day, its a sweet whit wine, any thoughts?

Hall Of Fame
    That's vierd. I bought 2 bottles of the 2010 Duboeuf and both are corked.

_

Quote Originally Posted by 2milehighJet View Post
    Someone suggested a Guwurztrminer(SP?) goes great on Turkey day, its a sweet whit wine, any thoughts?
    Although I appreciate the skill of the vintners and quality of the varietal, I have never acquired a taste for Gewürztraminer, either from Germany or California. No matter how much people have justified it, the wine is just loo sweet for my palate.

IMO, Pinot Noir, either from Oregon, Washington State, or France, is the perfect choice for Thanksgiving dinner.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 2milehighJet View Post
    Guwurztrminer and Reiseling are considered to be classic Thanksgiving wines.
    As for Guwurztrminer being sweet, I know many are, but I always assumed they were like Reiselings, ranging from sweet to dry.

My wife likes both Reiseling and Guwurztrminer, I usually go for minerally french white wines so I can't help you that much.