Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: The wine corner

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Am I the only one that sees the ironing?
    Beach ball.

Look in my search bar.

_

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Beach ball.

Look in my search bar.

_
    Yeah, I saw that. Bet you didn't find anything.

Hall Of Fame
    Yeah, I saw that. Bet you didn't find anything.
    Actually, it listed 5000 links to the Hampur.

And it only took .23 seconds to do so.

_

Actually, it listed 5000 links to the Hampur.

And it only took .23 seconds to do so.

_
    Same amount of time as you last in a lady. Coincidence?

Hall Of Fame
    Same amount of time as you last in a lady. Coincidence?
    Dude. I'm Italian. I last 40 minutes if I want to.

You just have to stop wanking if you want to hold out.

_

Good recommendation Borgo. Nice, crisp, clean.

_
    Glad you liked it, JS. The bit of added Viognier really elevates the wine. It was highly rated by tasters at Suburban so I bought a bottle. Definitely the best white wine, in it's price range (It goes for $9.99, but with my 20% discount costs me about $8. ) I drank all Summer. The South African producers continue to create interesting and affordable varietals.

I love exploring the wines tasters have selected and rated at Suburban's "Under $10" and "Under $15" sections. I have found many great wines in these groupings. Also, if you find yourself in the area, definitely sign up for the Wine Club. After buying 50 bottles (a matter of days for my wife and I ), you get 20% off a case. I save $20-35 bucks every time I shop. And their selection and prices are as good as i've seen since moving back to New York.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Glad you liked it, JS. The bit of added Viognier really elevates the wine. It was highly rated by tasters at Suburban so I bought a bottle. Definitely the best white wine, in it's price range (It goes for $9.99, but with my 20% discount costs me about $8. ) I drank all Summer. The South African producers continue to create interesting and affordable varietals.

I love exploring the wines tasters have selected and rated at Suburban's "Under $10" and "Under $15" sections. I have found many great wines in these groupings. Also, if you find yourself in the area, definitely sign up for the Wine Club. After buying 50 bottles (a matter of days for my wife and I ), you get 20% off a case. I save $20-35 bucks every time I shop. And their selection and prices are as good as i've seen since moving back to New York.
    Borgo- it was $6.79 a bottle (750ml) at Bottle King

_

Borgo- it was $6.79 a bottle (750ml) at Bottle King

_
    Holy crap!! That's an unbelievable price. Little J white is a $9-11/bottle wine. Makes me sad we don't have Cost Plus stores back East. I would buy California wines at unbelievable prices. Same at my Safeway, local town market, and Trader Joe's, which all sold alcohol.

All League
    General wine question - is there a white bourdeaux? If so, what grape variety is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    General wine question - is there a white bourdeaux? If so, what grape variety is it?
    Generally (in my humble opinion), no great whites come from this region save for the sweet Sauternes. I think the predominant grapes would be Sauvignon Blanc and Sémillon. I have enjoyed wines from Graves, which is made from Sauvignon Blanc and Sémillon.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that most of the great French whites, IMO, are produced in Burgundy using Chardonnay.
    Last edited by Borgoguy; 09-15-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Holy crap!! That's an unbelievable price. Little J white is a $9-11/bottle wine. Makes me sad we don't have Cost Plus stores back East. I would buy California wines at unbelievable prices. Same at my Safeway, local town market, and Trader Joe's, which all sold alcohol.
    LOL, I get Timmmy's Apremont for $9.99 and I think he pays about $15

_

All League
    Generally (in my humble opinion), no great whites come from this region save for the sweet Sauternes. I think the predominant grapes would be Sauvignon Blanc and Sémillon. I have enjoyed wines from Graves, which is made from Sauvignon Blanc and Sémillon.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that most of the great French whites, IMO, are produced in Burgundy using Chardonnay.
    I like sauv blancs, and don't like chardonnays. I guess I can cross French wines off my list.

I like sauv blancs, and don't like chardonnays. I guess I can cross French wines off my list.
    Not a chance in hell. Just drink French sauvignon blanc like Pouilly-Fumé and Sancerre. You will not be disappointed.

Also, do you dislike all Chardonnay or only ones from California? Unlike the Californians, chardonnay wines from Burgundy are not aged in toasted oak, so you don't get all that excessive vanilla and toasty notes. They are dry and beautiful to drink. Some of the world's best loved wines like Côte de Beaune and Montrachet. But you will need to bring your checkbook.

All League
    Not a chance in hell. Just drink French sauvignon blanc like Pouilly-Fumé and Sancerre. You will not be disappointed.

Also, do you dislike all Chardonnay or only ones from California? Unlike the Californians, chardonnay wines from Burgundy are not aged in toasted oak, so you don't get all that excessive vanilla and toasty notes. They are dry and beautiful to drink. Some of the world's best loved wines like Côte de Beaune and Montrachet. But you will need to bring your checkbook.
    I try to keep my bottle prices in the $15 or less range. Bordeauxs at that range - I have had no luck. Can one find Pouilly-Fume and Sancerre at that price range?

I've had steel fermented chardonnay's that were not bad. I guess its the over-oak that kills me. California and Australian chardonnay's are not my bag.

I try to keep my bottle prices in the $15 or less range. Bordeauxs at that range - I have had no luck. Can one find Pouilly-Fume and Sancerre at that price range?

I've had steel fermented chardonnay's that were not bad. I guess its the over-oak that kills me. California and Australian chardonnay's are not my bag.
    In a good wine store, yes. Just make sure you talk to someone in the store who has knowledge of that terrior specifically, and let him/her know what you want and your price range. If such expertise does not exist, go some place else.

I drank a non-oaked Californian chardonnay recently which was very good and under $10. Let me see if I have a bottle in my cellar.

Hall Of Fame
    And so we go from summer and 85 degrees to late Fall and 50 degrees in the blink of an eye.

Just opened a bottle of Gnarly Head 2009 Old Vine Zinfandel.

_

And so we go from summer and 85 degrees to late Fall and 50 degrees in the blink of an eye.

Just opened a bottle of Gnarly Head 2009 Old Vine Zinfandel.

_
    I had a bottle of their Cab recently. It was jammy, but in a good way. How is the Zin?

All League
    I had this wine the other night at a friend's that was ****ing nasty. It was a mix of three different types of red wine. Something like 50% Merlot, 40% Cabernet, 10% Pinot Noir. Ugh. What's the deal with that?

Hall Of Fame
    I had a bottle of their Cab recently. It was jammy, but in a good way. How is the Zin?
    Too funny. I'm drinking it with the GF last nite and I ask her if she likes it and she says "yes, it's got a very distinctive taste, it's...."

And I finish her sentence by saying "a bit jammy?" and she says, kind of quizzically, "yeah" .

I have no idea what "jammy" in a wine means, but it sounded just about right

_

Quote Originally Posted by ReleasetheAnimal View Post
    I had this wine the other night at a friend's that was ****ing nasty. It was a mix of three different types of red wine. Something like 50% Merlot, 40% Cabernet, 10% Pinot Noir. Ugh. What's the deal with that?
    Blending of grape varietals is commonplace with reds like Bordeaux, which for the most part use Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, but may also include Malbec and Cabernet Franc. Italian "Super Tuscans" blend the traditional Sangiovese with some form of the Bordeaux blend I just mentioned. There are others.

Trying to think if I've ever had a blend like you describe (I don't think so.). My gut tells me that the Pinot Noir in that bottle would get lost against those other, "sturdier", grapes.

Too funny. I'm drinking it with the GF last nite and I ask her if she likes it and she says "yes, it's got a very distinctive taste, it's...."

And I finish her sentence by saying "a bit jammy?" and she says, kind of quizzically, "yeah" .

I have no idea what "jammy" in a wine means, but it sounded just about right

_
    At least for me, it means there are no subtle nuances to the wine, just tons of up front fruit, as you might experience whilst opening a jar of fruit preserves/"jam" or tasting a spoonful of them.