Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The wine corner

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    I would appreciate some advice on Italian red wines. As mentioned before, I've had some troule with the leather-like tannins, even after airing it out for several hours. I'm becoming a bit more accustomed to them though, but still not quite my thing.
    This is madness.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Recently bottled my wine from a few months back.

Two reds, a Sangiovese, a Montepulciano and one white, a Trebbiano. The Sangiovese needs to settle for a few months, but the rest are quite drinkable (and quite good) right now.

Go ahead, make fun, but we had a great time making it (got a little tanked up)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you see the French white wine I asked you about in the "Do you drink every day thread". Also very crisp.
    No, I have assiduously avoided that thread after I realized I admitted how much I drink!

What was it?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I rarely buy Italian wine any more. They have priced themselves out of my sphere, big time. Although you will not drink better reds than Brunello, Barolo, Amarone, Chianti, or even a "Super Tuscan", a good example of each will include a hefty price tag. If tannins are bothersome for you, experiment with a bottle of Amarone, which is made with grapes that have been air dried prior to pressing.

BTW, did you see my response to your Apremont post? That came out of left field.
    Thanks I'll check out the Amarone, sounds like what I'm looking for.

LOL at the Apremont. I don't know why you can't get it because it is at all four of my major wine stores. Like all French wines, it has gotten more expensive over the last few years. About $16 here, probably less in Metro NY.
    Really crisp. I know what you mean about flinty, it's actually like a Loire Valley white wine and those are my favorites.

Flinty - now that's really gonna piss off green

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    No, I have assiduously avoided that thread after I realized I admitted how much I drink!

What was it?
    I reccomended Apremont wine from France -Jacquere grape

I missed Borgo's response which was"

"You just stopped me in my tracks. As a culinary student, I spent a good amount of time in the Haute-Savoie studying their terroir. I loved the beautiful lake town of Annecy, and the spectacular mineral water from Thonon-les-Bains. I drank many a bottle of Apremont and Chignin right in the caves of the wine producer. The dry, flinty nature of Apremont is a unique experience and a result of their soil. I brought back several bottles from France, but have always had difficulty locating it here on either coast."

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is my favourite at the moment.

$20-25 range

2004/2005 Anima Negra AN/2
    From Mallorca, Spain.

http://www.annegra.com/an2-en.html

http://www.unionsquarewines.com/w5652589at

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks I'll check out the Amarone, sounds like what I'm looking for.

LOL at the Apremont. I don't know why you can't get it because it is at all four of my major wine stores. Like all French wines, it has gotten more expensive over the last few years. About $16 here, probably less in Metro NY.
    Really crisp. I know what you mean about flinty, it's actually like a Loire Valley white wine and those are my favorites.

Flinty - now that's really gonna piss off green
    What doesn't pi$$ him off about this topic? Those bone dry, "flinty", wines are awesome with fish dishes with sauces like a beurre blanc, as it cuts through the butter and cleans the palate well. Speaking of wine terms like "flinty" to describe the flavor or "nose", you would not believe how many are used by oenophiles in France. No joke, one we were taught is pipi de chat, or cat's piss.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    What doesn't pi$$ him off about this topic? Those bone dry, "flinty", wines are awesome with fish dishes with sauces like a beurre blanc, as it cuts through the butter and cleans the palate well. Speaking of wine terms like "flinty" to describe the flavor or "nose", you would not believe how many are used by oenophiles in France. No joke, one we were taught is pipi de chat, or cat's piss.
    Cat piss equals many New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs. I believe one is even called Cat Piss.

Speaking of Flinty, I bought our wine for this weekend and one of them is a Loire Muscadet.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cat piss equals many New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs. I believe one is even called Cat Piss.

Speaking of Flinty, I bought our wine for this weekend and one of them is a Loire Muscadet.
    That's gonna pucker your lips for sure.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    I reccomended Apremont wine from France -Jacquere grape

I missed Borgo's response which was"

"You just stopped me in my tracks. As a culinary student, I spent a good amount of time in the Haute-Savoie studying their terroir. I loved the beautiful lake town of Annecy, and the spectacular mineral water from Thonon-les-Bains. I drank many a bottle of Apremont and Chignin right in the caves of the wine producer. The dry, flinty nature of Apremont is a unique experience and a result of their soil. I brought back several bottles from France, but have always had difficulty locating it here on either coast."
    wtf happen......who are these people?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Two reds, a Sangiovese, a Montepulciano and one white, a Trebbiano. The Sangiovese needs to settle for a few months, but the rest are quite drinkable (and quite good) right now.

Where did you get the grapes? We have a ton of white grapes growing on our front porch, it wasn't a good year for them though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    Coppola Cask Cabernet

Wine: Rubicon Estate Cask Cabernet 2004
    Maker: Niebaum-Coppola Rubicon
    Vintage: 2004
    Varietal: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
    Price Range: $65-75 a bottle, hard to find. 2005 is around $65
    Notes: When we opened this bottle, the smell of green peppers dominated the first impressions. As the bottle sat open for 20 minutes, the flavors settled into a lovely chocolate mole with a subtle grassiness. Throughout the evening the ripe cherries teased the nose. Also notable was were the spiciness of white pepper down the middle of the tongue and a light chalkiness and the sides of the mouth.

This bottle is apparently difficult to find and is not even available on the Rubicon website, but the 2005 shows similar qualities, so may be a worthy substitute--I'll need to go back and see!
    That's a little rich for my blood. I might do something like that once every couple of years. I sometimes go thirty for a Washington state cab, and even that's high end for me.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I missed your post the first go around. Bravo, ragazzo. Let us know if you want to host a tasting. Seriously, nice work, J. Looks awesome.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Copenhagen View Post
    This is my favourite at the moment.

$20-25 range

2004/2005 Anima Negra AN/2
    From Mallorca, Spain.

http://www.annegra.com/an2-en.html

http://www.unionsquarewines.com/w5652589at
    I am not at all familiar with Callet or Monte Negro. I'll look out for this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    This is madness.
    I think your seeing the CRV guy from the hills in a whole new light.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not at all familiar with Callet or Monte Negro. I'll look out for this.
    I think they are Native to the Balearic Islands.

Edit: It's Mantonegre btw!
    Last edited by Copenhagen; 10-08-2009 at 06:53 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ha Ha Ha View Post
    A good Shiraz from Australia.......
    McWilliams is an excellent value buy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a little rich for my blood. I might do something like that once every couple of years. I sometimes go thirty for a Washington state cab, and even that's high end for me.
    Try this Pinto from Oregon

WA 90pts. - WS 90pts. - According to the Wine Advocate: The entry level 2006 Pinot Noir Yamhill Cuvee delivers an expressive nose of rose petal, red cherry and raspberry that leaps from the glass. This leads to a velvety-textured, medium-bodied Pinot with ample sweet fruit, good depth, and a fruit-filled finish. It lacks only complexity. Drink this pleasurable wine over the next 4-5 years. Domaine Serene has turned out its most successful set of Pinot Noirs in several vintages. According to the Wine Spectator: Supple, ripe and generous with its plum, blueberry and creme brulee flavors, nicely draped with refined tannins, which persist on the focused finish. Drink now through 2014.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    Try this Pinto from Oregon

WA 90pts. - WS 90pts. - According to the Wine Advocate: The entry level 2006 Pinot Noir Yamhill Cuvee delivers an expressive nose of rose petal, red cherry and raspberry that leaps from the glass. This leads to a velvety-textured, medium-bodied Pinot with ample sweet fruit, good depth, and a fruit-filled finish. It lacks only complexity. Drink this pleasurable wine over the next 4-5 years. Domaine Serene has turned out its most successful set of Pinot Noirs in several vintages. According to the Wine Spectator: Supple, ripe and generous with its plum, blueberry and creme brulee flavors, nicely draped with refined tannins, which persist on the focused finish. Drink now through 2014.
    I'll see if I can get it in my area. Thanks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those of you drinking ten dollar California and Australian red wines, may I suggest that you walk over to the Spain, Argentina and Chile aisles as I believe they offer the best values in wine. As much as I love French wine (I really need to know more about Italian wine too), many of the cheaper Spanish and South American wines will have the fruit forwardness of the Australian and American wines you are familiar with. Many of you will probably,at this point, consider french wines to be too subtle and many Italian to be too tannic (think licking your baseball glove when standing in the outfield as a kid.) Eventually you will find Italian and French wines to be great, but I think Spanish/South American is a good second step.

From Spain try a Grenache or a Garnacha. Fairly fruit forward. Las Rocas is a solid wine and available everywhere for about ten or eleven dollars.

Also from Spain, try a Tempranillo. Fruit forward with a little earthiness and spicy finish.

From Argentina try a Malbec. I'm not as high on these as I was a few years ago because they are being way overproduced. Most are fairly fruit forward, especially in the lower price range. Still a nice wine and good for parties as most people will enjoy them.
    Many folks enjoy the red wines from Chile but I haven't had as much luck, so I won't discuss them.
    Great thing also about Malbec is if you go to a party and don't know what will be served, it will pair well with meats, spicy food, and pizza, pretty much anything.