Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anthony Schlegel

[QUOTE=Dr. Zaius;3298757]Eric Smith was a reach at the time, many thought he could have gone undrafted. BUT... he is still playing in the league at a decent level, therefore he was a successful pick IMO.

Hindsight is always 20-20. The Schlegel pick is a very small blemish on an otherwise very good track record for Tanny.[/QUOTE]

Well except if a person said the pick STUNK at the time and then hindsight has nothing to do with it at all. The worst part of the blunder in that 3rd round was trading down with Philly and only asking for a 7th rounder to move down in the 3rd. That was the stupidest part of that round.

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3298656]Check this bad boy out.

[img]http://i13.tinypic.com/85abwo9.jpg[/img][/QUOTE]

MANBEARPIG!

Banned
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3298770]Well except if a person said the pick STUNK at the time and then hindsight has nothing to do with it at all. The worst part of the blunder in that 3rd round was trading down with Philly and only asking for a 7th rounder to move down in the 3rd. That was the stupidest part of that round.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Schlegel was the panic pick because we got schooled by the Philly front office.

All League
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3298656]Check this bad boy out.

[img]http://i13.tinypic.com/85abwo9.jpg[/img][/QUOTE]

This one turned out to be fake.

That thing could have fed an african village for a year

Mangini just got Trusnik a talented Schlegel

Veteran
    Knoxville, TN, but originally from NW Mass.
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3298770]Well except if a person said the pick STUNK at the time and then hindsight has nothing to do with it at all. The worst part of the blunder in that 3rd round was trading down with Philly and only asking for a 7th rounder to move down in the 3rd. That was the stupidest part of that round.[/QUOTE]

True. The Schlegel pick was roundly questioned at the time, so it is not just 20-20 hindsight. He was strong at the point of attack but very slow moving. Not worthy of a 3rd round pick. Many of us here questioned the pick at the time...a horrible reach.

I defended the Schlegel pick and still believe the guy could have been a valuable player for the Jets. Whether he is as bad as most say or as good as I hoped he would be, he was unlucky to be chosen by the Jets in the 3rd round.

Other teams were interested in him in the later rounds and if he had been chosen later, by another team, that wasnt coached by a guy who is acknowledged league wide as an ahole idiot he might have been given a chance.

I now realize that many of your assessments of why the Jets picked him in the 3rd were dead on. Clearly he was treated like an unwanted step child by Mangini and company after he got to NY. He looked bad in coverage in his second game, in a defensive system he'd just learned, and that was it for him in the minds of fans and apparently in Mangini's mind. But Mangini couldnt cut him, because that would be admitting he'd made a mistake by picking him so early and we all know Mangini doesnt make mistakes. If he'd been a 5th or 6th round pick the mind set of both coaches and fans would have been different. He might have been cut and had a chance to catch on with another team with a real coach. He might have been given the opportunity to develop his pass defense skills so he could contribute. As it was he was stuck on the bench and never given a single opportunity to prove himself on Defense.

Mangini loves mutts. Look at who he got rid of here and who he kept. Look at who he has gotten rid of in Cleveland and who he has kept. Because he picked Schlegel in the 3rd he couldnt consider him a mutt, so he ignored him. As a result Mangini effectively gave up a 3rd rounder for nothing.

Regardless of the assessments of his talent before and after he left NY the guy proved he could make plays in the NFL when he played for Cincy. He was injured twice in Cincy and lost his spot. Cut twice and injured (back and turf toe) he didnt catch on again.

Maybe he wasnt worthy of a 3rd round pick ( I thought he was and could have been), but the guy could have contributed to the Jets if he hadnt had the misfortune have Mangini as a coach. I hope his UFL experience lands him another chance in the NFL.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

that's the larger issue- hindsight is easiest as it pertains to the draft- yet when players are selected several rounds higher than their skills warrant, as is the case here, it's not really hindsight....

I'd even say it may have been better off for not only the Jets but Schlegal as well were he drafted in the 6th round area as he should've been....may have been easier to stash him on a practice squad and let him develop rather than have all the expectations that come with being a top 100 selection....

then again the recent results of LB's or LB types coming from the OSU program has been mediocre, which some will start questioning...

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    [QUOTE=Dr. Zaius;3298757]Eric Smith was a reach at the time, many thought he could have gone undrafted. BUT... he is still playing in the league at a decent level, therefore he was a successful pick IMO.

Hindsight is always 20-20. The Schlegel pick is a very small blemish on an otherwise very good track record for Tanny.[/QUOTE]

... him and Gholston... and um B.Smith...

but yeah... Tannenbaum has been absolutely stellar besides those 3 picks.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Starkweather;3300141]... him and Gholston... and um B.Smith...

but yeah... Tannenbaum has been absolutely stellar besides those 3 picks.[/QUOTE]

What do you expect out of a 4th Rounder?

I know the Jets have found some gems there (Rhodes, Leon), but still.

Veteran
    I think a lot of you guys are forgetting that the Jets weren't Anthony's last stop in the league. He caught on with the Bengals for about 8 games before he was cut again. He just couldn't play at that level.

[QUOTE=genom;3300522]I think a lot of you guys are forgetting that the Jets weren't Anthony's last stop in the league. He caught on with the Bengals for about 8 games before he was cut again. He just couldn't play at that level.[/QUOTE]

genom:

Actually Schlegel played in 13 or 14 games for the Bengals and made 5 starts. He was an emergency starter for them because of an unbelievably freakish number of early season LB injuries. He averaged 5 or 6 tackles per start for them before suffering a back injury. Other LBs returned for them that same week and Schlegel lost his starting job, though he still played in most games. I think in all he had about 35 tackles for them. He got cut in the off season after the Bengals hired a new DC and drafted an LB in the first round. He played the whole season with turf toe. Even in a 4-3 he proved he could be effective against interior runs. With time and health he might have been able to develop into a more complete player.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but Manstupid drafted Schlegel because he was voted team captain at Navy as a sophomore and than impressed Manstupid. Schlegel started at Navy and left when he decided he had NFL potential. You can leave the service academies before your junior year if you pay them tuition for the first two years, after that they will try to make you serve out your enlistment. Truthfully, Schlegel should have just stayed at Navy and become an officer. Whoever told him he could play in the NFL did him no favor.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Dr. Zaius;3298793]Agreed. Schlegel was the panic pick because we got schooled by the Philly front office.[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty awful panic move by Mangina and Tanny then. There were a lot of decent to excellent players we passed up in that draft for Antonio the Boarf*cker.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Ryan Boru;3300613]I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but Manstupid drafted Schlegel because he was voted team captain at Navy as a sophomore and than impressed Manstupid. Schlegel started at Navy and left when he decided he had NFL potential. You can leave the service academies before your junior year if you pay them tuition for the first two years, after that they will try to make you serve out your enlistment. Truthfully, Schlegel should have just stayed at Navy and become an officer. Whoever told him he could play in the NFL did him no favor.[/QUOTE]

I believe Schlegel was in the Air Force Academy not Navy but yes I get your point that absolutely had everything to do with Manginenius reaching for him in the 3rd round of a loaded draft.

Also, Schlegel was an all-state wrestler in high school and I'm sure Mangini wet his vagina when he found that out he always has loved wrestlers. I remember a couple seasons ago he invited two all-american wrestlers to try out for the Jets - ofcourse both sucked.

I guess nobody explained to Mangini that wrestling and football are two different sports.

[QUOTE=Ryan Boru;3300613] Truthfully, Schlegel should have just stayed at Navy and become an officer. Whoever told him he could play in the NFL did him no favor.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, your right. I mean every Navy Officer becomes a millionaire before the age of 25 like Schlegel did. I mean why try to live your dream, play two years at the highest level of your sport, and get paid about 1.5 million to do it. He should have stuck with the Navy.( I mean he should have quit the Air Force Academy and Ohio State and gone into the Navy)

Nice call. I hope you're not a career counselor.

[QUOTE=vin777b;3298564]if remember correctly, when watching the draft, DeAngelo Williams was still on the board.

the Jets were about to draft, am on the edge of my seat hoping the selection will be DeAngelo Williams.

and the New York Jets select.... Anthony Schlegel, linebacker, Ohio State University[/QUOTE]
    Already been posted..