Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hamper Hits the Gym

Veteran

The Hamper Hits the Gym

Im sure most of you guys dont hit the gym because you dont have time with all the posting you do here in JI, but I feel that a discussion for lifting here in the hamper could be nice to share different workouts.

right now im trying to power build and gain mass for rugby. My goal is to get to 240, im currently at about 227 (height: 6'4)

I do weight where i can only do about 3-5 reps per set. I average about 4-5 sets per exercise, then a drop set at the end for the burn. I also like to super set alot of my stuff for the cardio benefits and time conservation.

my Current workout plan is (Cant do legs because of my knee right now)

[B]Shoulders, Upper Back, Biceps, and Traps[/B]

Standing Preacher Bar (biceps)

Sitting shoulder Fly (superset into) Outward incline Curls (delts and Biceps)

Body Weight Back Rows (superset into) Body Weight Rows (Upperback and Biceps)

Chest press Machine Stand Up Shrugs (Superset for forward and back traps)

Sit down full rotation dumbbell Shrugs (Traps)

Sitdown Dumbbell Back Rows (Back) (superset into) Shoulder Free Weight Rows (delts and traps)

Inward Dumbbell Curls (superset into) strait curls

Lat Pulls (lats)

Dips and Pull Ups

Reverse Russian Press (Back, Lats, Biceps)

Shoulder Press

[B]
    Chest, Lower Back, Triceps[/B]
    **I dont superset this as much due to the lack of available integration**

Incline Bench Press (Grip dumbell/bar variations)

Standard Bench (Grip and dumbell/bar variations)

Laydown Dumbell Fly

Icebreakers (superset with) close grip preacher High Rep Bench Press (Tri and Chest)

Sitting Fly Machine

Standing Overhead Tricep Push (Preacher bar)

Tricep Pulls

bent Leg Deadlift

Back Extensions (lower back)

various core exercises (works together with lower back... IE decline medicine ball situps ect.)

Forward Lean Triceps extension

Tricep Bar Laydown Pull Rows

Pushups (Variations of bar/incline and Floor formats)

Im trying to find some new chest exercises that work, if anyone has some id love to hear about them and the success that has accompanied them.

Im also trying to to put together a new regiment so id love to compare some of the regiments all of you are on.

The only supplements im on currently is a pre-workout for energy, i rotate a bunch of them, but my fav is the new NO shotgun. I was considering doing sus500 but i dono, seems borderline juice imo.
    Last edited by ListerFiend; 10-08-2009 at 10:06 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=ListerFiend;3298571]Im sure most of you guys dont hit the gym because you dont have time with all the posting you do here in JI, but I feel that a discussion for lifting here in the hamper could be nice to share different workouts.

right now im trying to power build and gain mass for rugby. My goal is to get to 240, im currently at about 227.

I do weight where i can only do about 3-5 reps per set. I average about 4-5 sets per exercise, then a drop set at the end for the burn. I also like to super set alot of my stuff for the cardio benefits and time conservation.

my Current workout plan is (Cant do legs because of my knee right now)

[B]Shoulders, Upper Back, Biceps, and Traps[/B]

Standing Preacher Bar (biceps)

Sitting shoulder Fly (superset into) Outward incline Curls (delts and Biceps)

Body Weight Back Rows (superset into) Body Weight Rows (Upperback and Biceps)

Chest press Machine Stand Up Shrugs (Superset for forward and back traps)

Sit down full rotation dumbbell Shrugs (Traps)

Sitdown Dumbbell Back Rows (Back) (superset into) Shoulder Free Weight Rows (delts and traps)

Inward Dumbbell Curls (superset into) strait curls

Lat Pulls (lats)

Dips and Pull Ups

Reverse Russian Press (Back, Lats, Biceps)

Shoulder Press

[B]
    Chest, Lower Back, Triceps[/B]
    **I dont superset this as much due to the lack of available integration**

Incline Bench Press (Grip dumbell/bar variations)

Standard Bench (Grip and dumbell/bar variations)

Laydown Dumbell Fly

Icebreakers (superset with) close grip preacher High Rep Bench Press (Tri and Chest)

Sitting Fly Machine

Standing Overhead Tricep Push (Preacher bar)

Tricep Pulls

bent Leg Deadlift

Back Extensions (lower back)

various core exercises (works together with lower back... IE decline medicine ball situps ect.)

Forward Lean Triceps extension

Tricep Bar Laydown Pull Rows

Pushups (Variations of bar/incline and Floor formats)

Im trying to find some new chest exercises that work, if anyone has some id love to hear about them and the success that has accompanied them.

Im also trying to to put together a new regiment so id love to compare some of the regiments all of you are on.

The only supplements im on currently is a pre-workout for energy, i rotate a bunch of them, but my fav is the new NO shotgun. I was considering doing sus500 but i dono, seems borderline juice imo.[/QUOTE]

Thats basically my routine and I throw in a gallon of sus500 a day.

I was 5'8" 168 in August, think Dave Price, and I'm 6'4" 245, diesel, now.

Of course breaking up with a f****g slut could throw you off the schedule, but we've all been there.

Veteran
    wow that sus500 is a miracle worker!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yea, being that i just broke up with a "f****** slut" i only have more motivation to hit the gym harder, gotta get in 'teh single personz shape' to grap attention of a slam piece @ the bars.

All League
    I need to go the other way. I was 170lbs and bulked up to 200. I need to cut some weight now that I put on some muscle. I cant seem to cut this weight though. any suggestions?

Veteran
    Well, imo id use the added weight (fat) to help really bulk muscle during the winter (hoodies are friends) then come late feb/march start to try and cut for summer season. The more fat the easier it is to continue to add muscle. This is why alot of NFL players come into offseason MTA's a higher weight than playing weight, because they use the added fat to help add muscle, and then use the conditioning programs during TC and MTA's to cut the remaining fat.

But in order to cut fat (im assuming you are trying to loose that rather than the muscle) you gotta do cardio, no way around that. No less than an hour of moderate intensity (or like 45 min of killing yourself with suicide sprints and bleacher runs) will really get the fat off, esp in the midsection.

To get definition, go for lighter weight high reps, like 8-12 reps.

All League
    Crossfit. Everything else is redundant...Curls? For Rugby? ;)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=ListerFiend;3298606]wow that sus500 is a miracle worker!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yea, being that i just broke up with a "f****** slut" i only have more motivation to hit the gym harder, gotta get in 'teh single personz shape' to grap attention of a slam piece @ the bars.[/QUOTE]

You are already in good shape dude, work the funny bone to get the chicks. They love to laugh. Muscle heads are a dime a dozen.:yes:

[QUOTE=JetsfanfromtheBURGH;3298608]I need to go the other way. I was 170lbs and bulked up to 200. I need to cut some weight now that I put on some muscle. I cant seem to cut this weight though. any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

You've already done the most effective thing you can do to lose 30 lbs. of muscle fast....you joined this site. Watch. It will pour off of you.:yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=ListerFiend;3298618]Well, imo id use the added weight (fat) to help really bulk muscle during the winter (hoodies are friends) then come late feb/march start to try and cut for summer season. The more fat the easier it is to continue to add muscle. This is why alot of NFL players come into offseason MTA's a higher weight than playing weight, because they use the added fat to help add muscle, and then use the conditioning programs during TC and MTA's to cut the remaining fat.

But in order to cut fat (im assuming you are trying to loose that rather than the muscle) you gotta do cardio, no way around that. No less than an hour of moderate intensity (or like 45 min of killing yourself with suicide sprints and bleacher runs) will really get the fat off, esp in the midsection.

To get definition, go for lighter weight high reps, like 8-12 reps.[/QUOTE]

is that an hour a day? how many days a week?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;3298619]Crossfit. Everything else is redundant...Curls? For Rugby? ;)[/QUOTE]

well, curls are one of the most useless muscles, but slam pieces love em, but it is helpful during lifts in rugby, when i gotta lift a person (normally someone thats like 210 lbs) over my head by way of grabbing their shorts.

[img]http://www.drum.army.mil/sites/postnews/blizzard/blizzard_archives/issues/4-17-2008/photos/rugby.jpg[/img]

Veteran
    [QUOTE=JetsfanfromtheBURGH;3298624]is that an hour a day? how many days a week?[/QUOTE]

In rugby for top conditioning we do 3 days of killing ourselves then moderate running another 3 and rest on sundays after games.

So id say prob like an hour day for 5 days if you can get that into your schedule.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=32green;3298622]You are already in good shape dude, work the funny bone to get the chicks. They love to laugh. Muscle heads are a dime a dozen.:yes:

[/QUOTE]

I work that funnybone like its my job.

All League
    [QUOTE=ListerFiend;3298626]well, curls are one of the most useless muscles, but slam pieces love em, but it is helpful during lifts in rugby, when i gotta lift a person (normally someone thats like 210 lbs) over my head by way of grabbing their shorts.

[img]http://www.drum.army.mil/sites/postnews/blizzard/blizzard_archives/issues/4-17-2008/photos/rugby.jpg[/img][/QUOTE]

Dude, I was a Prop for ages...at 6'2 245 its kind of an automatic, "hey, welcome to the team, your a Prop!" Now I'm a Firefighter, and I'm telling you that NOTHING conditions you for hard work, endurance, and power like CF.

Like to do Curls for the girls? Try doing Power Cleans or Snatches paired with rowing or Running over a 20 minute period with no rest, maybe throw in some Kettelbell work (I use a 40lb'er, going to get a 53 Lb'er)...of course AFTER your CF Warmup including some Pushups, Squats, Pullups, Sit ups etc.

Its a great philosophy of functional Fitness used by everyone from Really fit Triathelete chicks, to Pro-Football players, to most of the Special Forces/Law Enforcement/Firefighting COmmunity.

I wish they had this type of thing back when I was in my 20s, but I do my best. If I were your age and 6'4 220, I'd be ALL OVER CF, maybe try to go competitive with it.

Check out Crossfit.com find an affiliate near you and try it...[B]You will love it.[/B] I guarantee it.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;3298652]Dude, I was a Prop for ages...at 6'2 245 its kind of an automatic, "hey, welcome to the team, your a Prop!" Now I'm a Firefighter, and I'm telling you that NOTHING conditions you for hard work, endurance, and power like CF.

Like to do Curls for the girls? Try doing Power Cleans or Snatches paired with rowing or Running over a 20 minute period with no rest, maybe throw in some Kettelbell work (I use a 40lb'er, going to get a 53 Lb'er)...of course AFTER your CF Warmup including some Pushups, Squats, Pullups, Sit ups etc.

Its a great philosophy of functional Fitness used by everyone from Really fit Triathelete chicks, to Pro-Football players, to most of the Special Forces/Law Enforcement/Firefighting COmmunity.

I wish they had this type of thing back when I was in my 20s, but I do my best. If I were your age and 6'4 220, I'd be ALL OVER CF, maybe try to go competitive with it.

Check out Crossfit.com find an affiliate near you and try it...[B]You will love it.[/B] I guarantee it.[/QUOTE]

haha yea it was the same thing with me and the prop situation lol. Only thing is im a little tall, so i might move to 2nd row, but i dono.

The CF sounds very interesting and i certainly will look into it. Only thing is right now, i have problems with the intense cardio due to recent knee surgery, still in rehab for it. Cant play rugby again til the spring semester.

But im done with rehab soon, and i am going to look into creating a regiment for this. Seems very interesting and effective.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

workout seven days a week (run/swim) and lift four days a week....I'm past the point of caring about adding bulk....you may want to mix it up and finish the routine with lifts at high reps....could really break down the muscle and kick the sh!t out of you....

I do sitting lat raises as well but finish the set with 3 to 4 reps of what would be a sitting fly where I move the wieght in a fly motion parrallel to the ground, so there's no downward movement....

shoulder press/military press w/heavy dumbells is also killer....

Veteran
    also, i ddi/do have an interest in competition lifting n stuff (like you mentioned)

but being involved in the sciences like i am, i have become opposed to suppliments due to the apparent health risks associated. it is evident that competitive lifting is dominated by these suppliments, both legal and illegal.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3298672]workout seven days a week (run/swim) and lift four days a week....I'm past the point of caring about adding bulk....you may want to mix it up and finish the routine with lifts at high reps....could really break down the muscle and kick the sh!t out of you....

[/QUOTE]

yea, i do finish sets with high reps, like i mentioned with the drop sets. It really does kick the crap out of you.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;3298652]Dude, I was a Prop for ages...at 6'2 245 its kind of an automatic, "hey, welcome to the team, your a Prop!" Now I'm a Firefighter, and I'm telling you that NOTHING conditions you for hard work, endurance, and power like CF.

Check out Crossfit.com find an affiliate near you and try it...[B]You will love it.[/B] I guarantee it.[/QUOTE]

used to do power cleans/snacthes all the time when I trained for the olympics....after several decades of working out I JUST started doing push-ups and I have never seen such a quick improvement in my bench...

Banned
    Well now, this thread isn't funny at all.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Dr. Zaius;3298718]Well now, this thread isn't funny at all.[/QUOTE]

I think Lister said he was working it. Unless he meant he's just jerking off alot - who knows.

Banned
    [QUOTE=quantum;3298727]I think Lister said he was working it. Unless he meant he's just jerking off alot - who knows.[/QUOTE]

12 hours a day on JI and jerking off constantly is far more likely than 12 hours a day on JI and working out like the Governator.