Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets vs Dolphins - September 1986

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets vs Dolphins - September 1986

Hey guys, I hope you are all well. I have not posted in a long time, and haven't been around as much since I was laid off last November.

That said, with Dolphins/Jets coming up this weekend, I thought it might be fun to revisit a classic. Jets vs Dolphins, September 1986.
    I was 13 years old in 1986, and to this day, I think this is one of the most exciting jets games ever played. enjoy:

[url]http://tinsfins.blogspot.com/2009/08/dolphins-vs-jets-1986-4th-quarter.html[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=townsell83;3299883]Hey guys, I hope you are all well. I have not posted in a long time, and haven't been around as much since I was laid off last November.

That said, with Dolphins/Jets coming up this weekend, I thought it might be fun to revisit a classic. Jets vs Dolphins, September 1986.
    I was 13 years old in 1986, and to this day, I think this is one of the most exciting jets games ever played. enjoy:

[url]http://tinsfins.blogspot.com/2009/08/dolphins-vs-jets-1986-4th-quarter.html[/url][/QUOTE]

Brings back great memories.

Toon, Walker, hector, Pat Leahy.....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Man - I was there that day, and seeing it again and again never gets old for me. Beautiful warm day and the action on the field was non-stop. Marino and O'Brien at their best, and Wesley Walker had his greatest day (IMO) as a Jet.

I'll never forget the hordes of Jets "fans" leaving in droves late in the 4th after Marino had scored to put Mia. up 45-38. That left us with hundreds of pimply-faced teenagers in teal Marino jerseys, all starting to celebrate. :cool:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=townsell83;3299883]Hey guys, I hope you are all well. I have not posted in a long time, and haven't been around as much since I was laid off last November.

[url]http://tinsfins.blogspot.com/2009/08/dolphins-vs-jets-1986-4th-quarter.html[/url][/QUOTE]

Sucks that you got laid off, I hope things are looking up dude. This is actually one of the first Jet games I remember watching, I was 8 going on 9 at the time and this game brings back memories of my childhood. Soon after my dad would educate me on all the pain he has suffered as life-long Jet fan and how I would now experience the same. And so far, that's pretty much the truth..... :(

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dumps;3299928]Sucks that you got laid off, I hope things are looking up dude. This is actually one of the first Jet games I remember watching, I was 8 going on 9 at the time and this game brings back memories of my childhood. Soon after my dad would educate me on all the pain he has suffered as life-long Jet fan and how I would now experience the same. And so far, that's pretty much the truth..... :([/QUOTE]

thanks, the lay off was for the best. i'm back to school and changing careers.

i even have time to check back with JI again!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the post...nice to see Dennis Bligen scoring that TD at the end of the first clip, SJU football is no more.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=townsell83;3299940]thanks, the lay off was for the best. i'm back to school and changing careers.

i even have time to check back with JI again![/QUOTE]

Good deal! Glad to see you back!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting...great memories!!!!:yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parkwayjet1;3299915]Thanks, Man - I was there that day, and seeing it again and again never gets old for me. Beautiful warm day and the action on the field was non-stop. Marino and O'Brien at their best, and Wesley Walker had his greatest day (IMO) as a Jet.

I'll never forget the hordes of Jets "fans" leaving in droves late in the 4th after Marino had scored to put Mia. up 45-38. That left us with hundreds of pimply-faced teenagers in teal Marino jerseys, all starting to celebrate. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Ugh.

I was a 7 year-old kid who somehow convinced my parents to leave because "I didn't want to see the Jets lose in my first game". Yup, that was the first Jets game I ever went to (we've had season tickets since 1984)

My parents still make fun of me about that.

Because of that I never leave a game early.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was there with one of my best friends, who also was a Dolphags fan. We still talk about that game... good times, good times.

That Jet team was actually not a bad Defensive team, Marino just lit them up.
    Offensively, they were awesome...

but they fell apart because of all the injuries on both sides of the ball.

Thanks for the great post!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3299994]Ugh.

I was a 7 year-old kid who somehow convinced my parents to leave because "I didn't want to see the Jets lose in my first game". Yup, that was the first Jets game I ever went to (we've had season tickets since 1984)

Because of that I never leave a game early.[/QUOTE]

Full disclosure, I left the Monday Night Miracle game at 30-7 Miami, 3rd quarter, so I'm not pristine in that department either.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    games like this are why in my opinion being a jet fan is so amazing... these guys did not give up in apparent defeat... they kept fightin, stared defeat in the face and gave it the finger!!!! i love being a jet fan... :yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I stayed for this one, and I stayed for the Monday nighter...two of the best ever. :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i didn't have jet tickets at this point and my mom scored me 2 Met/Phillies tickets in the press box. The Mets just clinched the NL East and the game was boring as hell. I was sitting right in front of the Diamond Club and they had the Jet game on. The big screen kept posting the score and Shea would cheer. When the Met game ended i was in my parents car listening to the Jet game and got to hear both the tieing and winning TD.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok dumb question - why did O'Brien throw it long out of bounds to stop teh clock with 5 seconds left instead of spiking it?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=djaparz;3300302]ok dumb question - why did O'Brien throw it long out of bounds to stop teh clock with 5 seconds left instead of spiking it?[/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken, the spike rule hadn't been implemented yet. Thus, there was no [B][I]instant[/I][/B] way to stop the clock.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    hang in there brother...sending you some good karma...thanks for the vid...was on bway in the Bronx at my bar, buzzed...being obnoxious to all my Giants friends...thanks again.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parkwayjet1;3299915]Thanks, Man - I was there that day, and seeing it again and again never gets old for me. Beautiful warm day and the action on the field was non-stop. Marino and O'Brien at their best, and Wesley Walker had his greatest day (IMO) as a Jet.

I'll never forget the hordes of Jets "fans" leaving in droves late in the 4th after Marino had scored to put Mia. up 45-38. That left us with hundreds of pimply-faced teenagers in teal Marino jerseys, all starting to celebrate. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I was there too!! Awesome day. Absolutely beautiful. When Walker scored at 00 everyone was hugging each other. Didnt know anyone. And when they scored in OT, forget about it. Came home without a voice. My mom taped the wrong channel on the VCR. Never saw it again.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=townsell83;3299940]thanks, the lay off was for the best. i'm back to school and changing careers.[/QUOTE]

i did the same thing...good luck. i was out for 11 months.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3299994]Ugh.

Because of that I never leave a game early.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you're like a monk. Some day, the iron bands of karma will wither, and you will know when to leave. When that day comes...no one knows.