Thread: 77-year-old golfer loses arm in alligator attack

77-year-old golfer loses arm in alligator attack

A common complaint about golf is that a round at a nice course can cost an arm and a leg. Unfortunately for one man, that complaint has become more than a metaphor.

A 77-year-old man lost his arm below the elbow on Thursday when he was attacked by an alligator while playing golf on Fripp Island in South Carolina, the Island Packet reported on its Web site.
    The man, who was playing the 11th hole of the island's Ocean Creek Golf Course, leaned down to pick up his ball when a 10-foot long alligator grabbed his arm, said Kate Hines, general manager of the Fripp Island Property Owners Association, according to the report.

The alligator then dragged the man into a nearby pond and went into a series of "death rolls," a technique it uses to tear apart its food, Hines told the paper. That was when the man lost his arm.

The man's golf buddies were able to free him from the alligator's grasp and called 911, according to the report.

Tracks worker killed the alligator and performed a necropsy on it to remove the man's arm from the animal's digestive track, Hines told the paper.

The arm was stored in a cooler in the hopes of re-attaching it. The man's condition was still unknown late Thursday night.

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/10195490/77-year-old-golfer-loses-arm-in-alligator-attack?GT1=39002[/url]

[IMG]http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6426/happygilmore2.gif[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I wonder iffin they'll make him take a drop when the game resumes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Firstly, I hope the guy recovers.

Secondly, does he now change his handicap? :confused:

[QUOTE=sect313;3300103][B]A common complaint about golf is that a round at a nice course can cost an arm and a leg. Unfortunately for one man, that complaint has become more than a metaphor.[/B]

A 77-year-old man lost his arm below the elbow on Thursday when he was attacked by an alligator while playing golf...[/QUOTE]

I like how they started off with a funny...

Evel Knievel would have beat the hell out of that gator. :yes:

[IMG]http://www.celebspin.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/evel_knievel.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3300196]

Secondly, does he now change his handicap? :confused:[/QUOTE]

if he didn't have one before the round he definitely has one now....

This is precisely why I carry a speargun w/explosive tipped arrows when I golf. Well, that and slow Koreans ahead of me. Gotta push em.

Chubbs: Back in 1965, Sports Illustrated said I was going to be the next Arnold Palmer.
    Happy Gilmore: Yeah? What happened?
    Chubbs: They wouldn't let me play on the Pro Tour anymore.
    Happy Gilmore: Ah, I'm sorry. Because you're black?
    Chubbs: Hell no! Damned alligator BIT my hand off!
    [Shows Happy his wooden hand]
    Happy Gilmore: OH MY GOD!
    Chubbs: Yeah. tournament down in Florida. I hooked my ball in the rough down by the lake. Damned alligator just POPPED up, cut me down on my prime. He got me, but I tore one of that bastard's eyes out though. Look at that.
    [Shows Happy a small glass jar with an eyeball in it]
    Happy Gilmore: You're pretty sick, Chubbs.

Veteran
    "Dam alligator bit my hand off"!
    Laugh my ass off everytime.