Thread: The most TD Receptions in a season EVER by a NY Jet?

All League

The most TD Receptions in a season EVER by a NY Jet?

Is 14. [B]14[/B] Touchdowns is the most EVER for a Jets WR in a season...I believe it was Wesley Walker WAYYYY back in the day. Coles best season he had what, 8-9 TDs? Cotchery has never had 8 in a year, has he? I think in '98 Chrebet had 8 or 9. I'm sure Toon was somewhere "up there" as well, but I'm not sure, and I doubt Maynard or Sauer ever got much past 10 for a season [B]WITH NAMATH.[/B]

Think about that. In the [B]50 year [/B] history of the New York Jets, those are the highest totals for TDs in a season for some of the Jets ALL-TIME greats at WR.

Now consider Braylon Edwards [B][COLOR="Red"]16[/COLOR][/B] Touchdowns in 2007. In CLEVELAND. With Anderson throwing him the ball. Not Namath, or Vinny at his best, but Derick Anderson. Without a legit WR opposite him.

Think the Jets could use that? Think Sanchez could use another legit #1-1a option?

I sure do
    Last edited by Jet_Engine1; 10-10-2009 at 11:19 AM.

Not this year

All League
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3300798]Not this year[/QUOTE]

"Not this year" what? Sanchez and the Jets O can't use another legit WR threat? The Jets don't need any more talent "this year"? What?

I never said BE will have 16 TD receptions THIS YEAR, but he has done that before and has the talent to do it again in the future. A feat NO OTHER JETS WR HAS EVER MATCHED.

I liked Stuckey, he was a "nice" player, a decent but not great Slot/#3 guy. I don't understand how or why people are CRYING about getting a player of this caliber and giving up a couple of ??? and two "roleplayer" Jags....

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;3300793]Is 14. [B]14[/B] Touchdowns is the most EVER for a Jets WR in a season...I believe it was Wesley Walker WAYYYY back in the day. Coles best season he had what, 8-9 TDs? Cotchery has never had 8 in a year, has he? I think in '98 Chrebet had 8 or 9. I'm sure Toon was somewhere "up there" as well, but I'm not sure, and I doubt Maynard or Sauer ever got much past 10 for a season [B]WITH NAMATH.[/B]

Think about that. In the [B]50 year [/B] history of the New York Jets, those are the highest totals for TDs in a season for some of the Jets ALL-TIME greats at WR.

Now consider Braylon Edwards [B][COLOR="Red"]16[/COLOR][/B] Touchdowns in 2007. In CLEVELAND. With Anderson throwing him the ball. Not Namath, or Vinny at his best, but Derick Anderson. Without a legit WR opposite him.

Think the Jets could use that? Think Sanchez could use another legit #1-1a option?

I sure do[/QUOTE]

Keyshawn must've had over 10 at some point. I still understand what you're saying. We have not had a legit stud #1 receiver in a long time and now we got him. As long as he hangs onto the ball, I'm cool. I just think he needed a change of scenery.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetsPT;3301386]Keyshawn must've had over 10 at some point. I still understand what you're saying. We have not had a legit stud #1 receiver in a long time and now we got him. As long as he hangs onto the ball, I'm cool. I just think he needed a change of scenery.[/QUOTE]

+1

BTW, KJ had 10 one season, 8 two others.

You're right that the most every by a Jet WR is 14 but you are wrong on the receiver.

Don Maynard in 1965 and Art Powell in 1960 had 14 TD's, tied for most in franchise history. Since Powell was a Titan of NY at the time, Maynard you could say is the only "Jet" to have the record. To each his own, I'd say those two are tied personally.

Wesley Walker's best was 12
    Keyshawn Johnson's was 10
    Rich Caster's was 10
    Santana Moss' was 10
    Wayne Chrebet's was 9
    George Sauer's was 8
    Al Toon's was 8
    Laveranues Coles' was 7

All League
    [QUOTE=JetsFanInSec124;3301397]You're right that the most every by a Jet WR is 14 but you are wrong on the receiver.

Don Maynard in 1965 and Art Powell in 1960 had 14 TD's, tied for most in franchise history. Since Powell was a Titan of NY at the time, Maynard you could say is the only "Jet" to have the record. To each his own, I'd say those two are tied personally.

Rich Caster's was 10
    Santana Moss' was 10
    Wayne Chrebet's was 9
    George Sauer's was 8
    Al Toon's was 8
    Laveranues Coles' was 7[/QUOTE]

Damn Moss was a pretty damn good WR his time here in NY minus the injurie problems this guy would still be here (never would of been traded for Coles if it wasn't for durability issues) and would probably finish in the top 5 or so all time in Jets History, that punt he returned in the 04 divisional round in PIT was one of the most exciting plays I have seen a Jet pull off in all my years watching football, man the Redskins suck lol

All League
    [QUOTE=JetsFanInSec124;3301397]You're right that the most every by a Jet WR is 14 but you are wrong on the receiver.

Don Maynards best was 14
    Rich Caster's was 10
    Santana Moss' was 10
    Wayne Chrebet's was 9
    George Sauer's was 8
    Al Toon's was 8
    Laveranues Coles' was 7[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the corrections. I was just going off of memory rather than research, but my point still stands. In the [COLOR="Red"][B]50 Year History[/B][/COLOR] of the New York Jets, these guys are the greatest players to play the position of WR, hands down THE BEST, heck, Maynard is a Pro Football HOF'er, so it doesn't get any greater than that.

And NOT ONE of these guys has ever had as successful a season at WR on the field than Braylon Edwards 2007 season in which he caught 16 TDs and for over 1,200 yards. And he did it in CLeveland. The 'ol Clevelandtown, with Derrick Anderson throwing him the ball and absolutely no other threat at WR on that team. This is the type of talent at the position the Jets haven't had in a long time, maybe since Walker and Toon. Maybe since Don Maynard. And the Jets get to integrate him into an O with Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller, Leon Washington, a possible Franchise QB, and hopefully a steady running game with Greene taking ovber for TJ.

Braylon was a HUGE get.
    Last edited by Jet_Engine1; 10-11-2009 at 12:17 AM.

Yeah, I've just got a feeling Edwards is going to work out great with the Jets.

This thread piqued my interest regarding the history of Jets receivers. Only five ever made first-team All-Pro:
    [LIST][*]Art Powell ('60)[*]George Sauer ('67, '68)[*]Maynard ('69)[*]Wesley Walker ('78)[*]Al Toon ('86)[/LIST]

With the exception of Powell's 14 TD catches in '60, none had more than 8 in years when they made first-team.

In referencing Maynard, you have to take into consideration he played in an era where they played 14 games.

All League
    [QUOTE=NIGHT STALKER;3301577]In referencing Maynard, you have to take into consideration he played in an era where they played 14 games.[/QUOTE]

Yep, which is why I stated the Jets may not have had this kind of Talent at WR SINCE Don Maynard....and its one of the reasons Don is a HOF'er. 14 TD receptions in 14 games, at a time when DBs could mug guys all the way down field - thats an epic season for a WR.