Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fight! Bernie Madoff in Prison Yard Fight

Jets Insider VIP

Fight! Bernie Madoff in Prison Yard Fight

[url]http://www.cnbc.com/id/33290584[/url]

[QUOTE]Bernard Madoff got into a fight in the prison yard with another inmate over the stock market – [B]and won[/B], the New York Post reported, quoting eyewitnesses....[/QUOTE]

[I]"And in this corner..."[/I]

[IMG]http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/03/11/opinion/10madoff.480.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3307570][url]http://www.cnbc.com/id/33290584[/url]

[I]"And in this corner..."[/I]

[IMG]http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/03/11/opinion/10madoff.480.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Guess that "Prepare for Prison" consultant he paid for taught him something.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

It doesn't do a lot for the street cred of the prison if Bernie Madoff is kickin ass on the playground.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;3307863]Guess that "Prepare for Prison" consultant he paid for taught him something.[/QUOTE]

Ironically, Bernie didnt pay for it, his victims did!

You have to figure that literally everything he owns and every dime his filthy bee-atch wife spends is the proceeds of a crime or stolen property.

So these poor victims not only got fleeced, they cant even enjoy a good prison beatdown story because they paid for Bernie's prison lessons....

lol:O

[QUOTE=32green;3307930]Ironically, Bernie didnt pay for it, his victims did!
    [/QUOTE]

im not condoning ponzi schemes but usually if something is too good to be true... it is. these "victims" gave their money to this guy free and clear.

These people are steaming mad but end of the day they made bad investment decisions and need to take personal responsibility.

you don't get something for nothing in this world.

not like Bernie Madoff put a gun to people's heads and made them give him money.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3308039]im not condoning ponzi schemes but usually if something is too good to be true... it is. these "victims" gave their money to this guy free and clear.

These people are steaming mad but end of the day they made bad investment decisions and need to take personal responsibility.

not like Bernie Madoff put a gun to people's heads and made them give him money.[/QUOTE]

If you're not condoning ponzi schemes, then what are you saying? Madoff shouldn't go to jail? Madoff should go to jail, but his victims shouldn't get any of their money back? Madoff and his victims should go to jail? :confused:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3308039]im not condoning ponzi schemes but usually if something is too good to be true... it is. these "victims" gave their money to this guy free and clear.

not like Bernie Madoff put a gun to people's heads and made them give him money.[/QUOTE]

I'd usually agree with this line of thinking, that you get what you pay for and if it's too good to be true...it probably is. But not here. These people were investing in a firm with SEC oversight and explicit licenses and regulatory approvals from NASD, SEC, etc. They were receiving monthly, quarterly, annual reports showing their investments, account positions, etc. It was a farce! It was fiction, the numbers were made up. This wasn't some kind of get rich quick idea that people were jumping on, claiming the millions left to you by your long lost Nigerian uncle, etc. It was investing in a supposedly legitimate, regulated, licensed, audited investment firm.

This is the same as if you went down the street to take money out of your Chase ATM and the money was gone. Are you a fool for putting money into a Chase checking account or are Chase, banking regulators, and the FDIC to blame?
    Last edited by jetstream23; 10-13-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Jets Insider VIP

[B]not like Bernie Madoff put a gun to people's heads and made them give him money[/B].[/QUOTE]

You have no money outside your home/mattress? And if you do, what bank put a gun to your head?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

"THis guy" was highly respected and well known in his field and with ties to the SEC, the agency that failed to investigate him despite warning signs.

It wasnt like they had a "guy" who worked at the gym and did "investments" on the side.:rolleyes:

SUre, there were a lot of greedy people looking for an edge signing up to invest with him, but that doesnt make them any less victims.

let's run through what being a victim boiled down to: "getting out your check book and writing a huge check to a stranger"

my mama raised me better than that, and chances are the same can be said for most of the forum.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=bitonti;3308095]let's run through what being a victim boiled down to: "getting out your check book and writing a huge check to a stranger"

my mama raised me better than that, and chances are the same can be said for most of the forum.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much to a man, I bet everyone on this forum has written checks to "strangers"....
    :rolleyes:

to quote tracy morgan on 30 rock "what's the past tense of scam? scrummed? Liz Lemon you got scrummed"

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;3308095]let's run through what being a victim boiled down to: "getting out your check book and writing a huge check to a stranger"

my mama raised me better than that, and chances are the same can be said for most of the forum.[/QUOTE]

I think you raise a valid point- people need to be more dilligent about their own assets and stop blaming others......though I still hope madoff gets reamed up the hershy highway three times a day and kills himself in disgust...

that said I'm sure you'd agree that the entire mortgage crisis is as much the fault of the borrowers who put their signatures on contracts which they should've known full well they couldn't afford (many of them anyway).... whether they be prime/sub-prime/etc.....people who were making $50K a year should not be borrowing ten times that amount based on the words of a stranger....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I'm not 100% on board with what Bit is saying, however the fact remains that many of these madoff investors fell over themselves to write checks to this guy. 14% returns apparently cause one's sense and sensibilities to wane. Are they victims, yes of course, but they are also victims of their own greed to a certain extent. Much like the example CBTNY makes with people taking out huge mortgages based on "pay me later" pitches...hey I'll just buy the house and flip it for a profit before the rate adjusts.

I'm not defending Madoff or attacking those who lost money, just pointing out the fact that something blinded these folks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yeah, but knowing Madoff, the other guy probably didn't even know he was in a fight until after it was over. Guy was probably sleeping and Bernie starting wailing on him. Just because he could.

Are you one of those guys who pays the extra fees to have the actual stock certificates handed over to you? Because if not this is just empty talk.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetswin;3308132]I'm not 100% on board with what Bit is saying, however the fact remains that many of these madoff investors fell over themselves to write checks to this guy. 14% returns apparently cause one's sense and sensibilities to wane. Are they victims, yes of course, but they are also victims of their own greed to a certain extent. Much like the example CBTNY makes with people taking out huge mortgages based on "pay me later" pitches...hey I'll just buy the house and flip it for a profit before the rate adjusts.

[B]I'm not defending Madoff or attacking those who lost money, just pointing out the fact that something blinded these folks[/B].[/QUOTE]

it's called "it's always someone elses fault"....

got lung cancer from smoking??? it's the tobacco companies fault...

in credit card debt up to your eyeballs??? it's the credit card companies fault....

50lbs overweight??? it's the fault of fast food restaurants....

lost 50% in the stock market??? it's the stock brokers fault.....

etc, etc.....

and you're right- you can't defend madoff because what he did was illegal and like they did with madoff, they should liquidate the assets of anyone who is found guilty of such crimes....

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3308253]it's called "it's always someone elses fault"....

got lung cancer from smoking??? it's the tobacco companies fault...
    [/QUOTE] [COLOR="Red"]No, because the tobacco company puts a label on the cigarettes that tell you it might.[/COLOR]
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3308253]
    in credit card debt up to your eyeballs??? it's the credit card companies fault....
    [/QUOTE]
    [COLOR="red"]credit card companies also disclose up front fees and rates associated with their use[/COLOR][QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3308253]
    50lbs overweight??? it's the fault of fast food restaurants....
    [/QUOTE] [COLOR="red"]everyone on in the country knows the consequences of overeating, but this may be your only analogy that is close[/COLOR]
    ....[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Guido Monzino;3308278][COLOR="Red"]No, because the tobacco company puts a label on the cigarettes that tell you it might.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]credit card companies also disclose up front fees and rates associated with their use[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]everyone on in the country knows the consequences of overeating, but this may be your only analogy that is close[/COLOR]
    ....[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

He was thinking like this:rolleyes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3308285][/QUOTE]

He was thinking like this:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Lol..I'm reading that and thinking....they agree with eachother, no?