Thread: Johnny Fontane Dies

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Johnny Fontane Dies

He had that "olive oil voice". RIP

[IMG]http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/050707/154242__godfather_l.jpg[/IMG]
    Singer Al Martino, who played Johnny Fontane in 'The Godfather,' dies at 82
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS (CP) 5 hours ago

SPRINGFIELD, Pa. Singer Al Martino, who played the Frank Sinatra-type role of Johnny Fontane in "The Godfather" and recorded hits including "Spanish Eyes" and the Italian ballad "Volare" in a 50-year musical career, died Tuesday. He was 82.

Martino died at his childhood home in the Philadelphia suburb of Springfield, in Delaware County, according to publicist Sandy Friedman, of the Rogers&Cowan public relations firm. Friedman did not cite a cause of death.

Starting in 1952, Martino was known for hit songs including "Here in My Heart" and "Can't Help Falling in Love."

Besides acting in the Marlon Brando classic "The Godfather," Martino sang the 1972 film's title score, "The Love Theme From The Godfather." His Fontane character is a singer and occasional actor and is the godson of Brando's Mafia boss character, Don Vito Corleone.

The Italian-American crooner, born Alfred Cini, was one of a number of South Philadelphia-born singers, including Bobby Rydell, Frankie Avalon, Fabian and Chubby Checker. He also was a longtime resident of Beverly Hills, California.

Philadelphia radio and television personality Jerry Blavat dined with Martino and his wife on Monday night. Blavat told the Philadelphia Daily News that Martino appeared to be in fine shape and that he was shocked when he learned of the singer's death.

"He was the last of the show business legends," said Blavat, who has played Martino's songs on the radio for years. "There's nobody else. The last of the performers. A magnificent voice."

[url]http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5ibAwbYztuoI6CzX7BXhkv03WJ6Dg[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    My word....whose next..... Barzini....Tattalgia..... Brasi.....

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't understand. Johnny Fontane never gets that movie. That part is perfect for him. It'll make him a big star. I'm gonna run him out of the movies. And let me tell you why. Johnny Fontane ruined one of Woltz International's most valuable proteges. For three years we had her under contract, singing lessons, dancing lessons, acting lessons. I spent hundreds of thousands of dollars. I was gonna make her a big star. And let me be even more frank, just to show you that I'm not a hard-hearted man, that it's not all dollars and cents. She was beautiful, she was innocent, she was the greatest piece of ass I've ever had, and I've had it all over the world. And then Johnny Fontane comes along with his olive oil voice and guinea charm and she runs off. She threw it all away just to make me look ridiculous. And a man in my position can't afford to be made to look ridiculous. Now you get the hell out of here. And you tell that gumba that if he wants to try any rough stuff that I ain't no band leader. Yeah, I heard that story.

[IMG]http://www.austinarticles.com/images/friends/jack_woltz.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3309092]My word....whose next..... Barzini....Tattalgia..... Brasi.....

-[/QUOTE]

my money's on Lucabrazi....

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tommy Dorsey...sign here.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3309094]my money's on Lucabrazi....[/QUOTE]
    I'm going with Khartoum

[IMG]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/godfather/images/thumb/0/04/Khartoum.JPG/250px-Khartoum.JPG[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    "Oh, Godfather...I don't know what to do."

"YOU CAN ACT LIKE A MAN!"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parkwayjet1;3309407]"Oh, Godfather...I don't know what to do."

"YOU CAN ACT LIKE A MAN!"[/QUOTE]

classic RIP

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbZEkFLXh9Y[/url]