Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm giving everyone in the Hamper $500, I just won lottery

Jets Insider VIP

I'm giving everyone in the Hamper $500, I just won lottery

:rolleyes:

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,566503,00.html?test=latestnews[/url]

[QUOTE][B][SIZE="5"]Lottery Hoax Causes Riot at Ohio Coat Store[/SIZE][/B]

Thursday , October 15, 2009

ADVERTISEMENT
    COLUMBUS, Ohio —

A woman being driven around in a rented limousine pulled up at a coat store and announced she'd won the lottery and would pay for everyone's purchases, police said, but she ended up causing a riot when customers realized it was a hoax.

Angry customers threw merchandise around and looted, leaving the store looking as though a hurricane had passed through it, police said.

Linda Brown was arrested Tuesday after an hours-long shopping spree that began when she hired a stretch Hummer limousine to drop her off at a Burlington Coat Factory store, police Sgt. Lt. Michael Deakins said. Brown walked to a cash register and loudly announced she had won the lottery and would pay for each person's merchandise up to $500, he said.

"Well, of course, people like to hear that," Deakins said. "Apparently they were in line calling relatives who were not at the store and told them to come."

People flooded the registers as cashiers began ringing up purchase after purchase, but Brown had not yet paid the bill, Deakins said. At least 500 people filled the aisles and another 1,000 were outside trying to get in, he said.

"She was telling people she won $1.5 million," Deakins said. "But it ends up she didn't win anything. She had no money to pay for anything."

About an hour later, Brown had the limousine driver take her to a bank to withdraw money, but she returned empty-handed, police Detective Steven Nace said. By then, store employees had called in two dozen police officers to handle the crowds.

Shopper Candace Jordan said she told Brown she didn't need clothes, she needed help paying her rent.

"And she said, 'How much is it?"' Jordan told WBNS-TV. "And she promptly wrote out a check."

By the time employees realized Brown didn't have any cash to pay, police said, she already had taken off in the limo.

That's when angry customers, realizing they weren't getting free coats, began throwing merchandise on the floor and grabbing clothes without paying for them, Nace said.

"Everybody was like, 'I still want my free stuff,' and that started the riot," he said. "It looks like (Hurricane) Katrina went through the store."

Police said they have no way of tracking down the customers who stole items and fled, but they're reviewing surveillance video.

When the limousine driver realized he wasn't going to be paid the $900 Brown owed him for the day's rental, he turned her in to police, Deakins said.

Brown, 44, was arrested on three outstanding warrants for aggravated menacing, misuse of a 911 system and causing false alarms. She was jailed late Wednesday, but no charges had been filed against her related to the coat store chaos pending a mental health evaluation.

Police said they didn't know if Brown had a lawyer. No telephone number was listed under her name, and no one answered repeated phone calls at the Franklin County Jail.

A spokeswoman for Burlington Coat Factory, which is based in Burlington, N.J., and has more than 300 stores across the country, said late Wednesday she couldn't comment on the incident.[/QUOTE]

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Sorry, but that's hilarious. :D

Hall Of Fame
    The funniest part of the scheme is she decided to do it at, of all places, the Burlington Coat Factory.

She must know Tyler.

Hall Of Fame
    This reminds me of a story I saw on the Chicago news.

Some charity was giving presents to people in a poor neighborhood. The head of the charity was onstage talking into a microphone, verbally stroking all of the people involved in the charity. Evidently, the women in the crowd noticed there were more people than presents. One woman ran on stage and started grabbing presents. Then everyone rushed the stage, hitting the guy talking, and started grabbing presents. You saw nothing but a bunch of spandexed fat-asses in front of the tree. One woman actually picked up the fake Christmas tree and hit another woman with it. Then the cameras went outside and showed the women trying to sell the presents to drivers stopping at a red light.

The supposed heartbreaking end of the story was a little kid who was crying, but even he contributed to the comedy. He looked in the camera and said "Why did they have to take our presents?" But then he added "They should have stolen someone else's presents":D

I saw this on the early evening news and got such a kick out of it, that I videotaped it during the late night news and brought it into work the next day so I could laught at it with my buddies.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3310695]This reminds me of a story I saw on the Chicago news.

Some charity was giving presents to people in a poor neighborhood. The head of the charity was onstage talking into a microphone, verbally stroking all of the people involved in the charity. Evidently, the women in the crowd noticed there were more people than presents. One woman ran on stage and started grabbing presents. Then everyone rushed the stage, hitting the guy talking, and started grabbing presents. You saw nothing but a bunch of spandexed fat-asses in front of the tree. One woman actually picked up the fake Christmas tree and hit another woman with it. Then the cameras went outside and showed the women trying to sell the presents to drivers stopping at a red light.

The supposed heartbreaking end of the story was a little kid who was crying, but even he contributed to the comedy. He looked in the camera and said "Why did they have to take our presents?" But then he added "They should have stolen someone else's presents":D

I saw this on the early evening news and got such a kick out of it, that I videotaped it during the late night news and brought it into work the next day so I could laught at it with my buddies.[/QUOTE]

That is f'ing hilarious! I'll buy you a new coat if you can post the video! :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3310702]That is f'ing hilarious! I'll buy you a new coat if you can post the video! :yes:[/QUOTE]

Man I have no idea where it is, I have a million old videos around. It served as entertainment for many years. I just tried to google it, but I couldn't find it.
    I'll look again.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

The human race is a disappointing lot sometimes...

Beam me up Scotty, this planet sucks.

:beam:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3310702]That is f'ing hilarious! I'll buy you a new coat if you can post the video! :yes:[/QUOTE]
    lol

Hall Of Fame
    "About an hour later, Brown had the limousine driver take her to a bank to withdraw money, "[B]but she returned empty-handed[/B]"

A curious move

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3310722]"About an hour later, Brown had the limousine driver take her to a bank to withdraw money, "[B]but she returned empty-handed[/B]"

A curious move[/QUOTE]

hmmmm...yes, very curious. BUT....was she wearing a coat? :cautious:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3310725]hmmmm...yes, very curious. BUT....was she wearing a coat? :cautious:[/QUOTE]

I bet when she returned to the store there was rousing applause. Hopefully there will be some video.

All League
    That reminds me to check my retirement plan.......

Nope, didn't win powerball. Not one damn number.

Warning grahic and hilarious language. Fitting for this thread.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2SFERULayA&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2SFERULayA&NR=1[/URL]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Big L;3310758]That reminds me to check my retirement plan.......

Nope, didn't win powerball. Not one damn number.[/QUOTE]

that's fuqin hysterical!!!! fitting with the image in your sig.....

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726;3310807]Warning grahic and hilarious language. Fitting for this thread.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2SFERULayA&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2SFERULayA&NR=1[/URL][/QUOTE]

I'm in tears, man. That's hilarious! Never saw it before. I do need to watch that show more often.

Circulated at work as an email, classic. That show is hysterical.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3310824]I'm in tears, man. That's hilarious! Never saw it before. I do need to watch that show more often.[/QUOTE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=cr726;3310807]Warning grahic and hilarious language. Fitting for this thread.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2SFERULayA&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2SFERULayA&NR=1[/URL][/QUOTE]

RMAO!

LOL

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I always wondered who the fools were that supported the Nigerian e-mail scam artists and other anonymous strangers promising untold wealth. Apparently they were holding a convention of sorts in this Burlington Coat Factory.