Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Network marketing: is it worth a try?

Network marketing: is it worth a try?

I have two jobs & retirement check and can barely survive. Unique circumstances and self-destructive decisions brought me to my current situation, but I am a fighter not ready to give up (are there any other choices).

My close friend has been in this line of business for the last 11 years but finally has found a network that will help him grow. Network marketing is not my background, but I am willing to learn; however, I need money quicker than a long-term solution.

Is anybody here into this kind of business? I would prefer a quick buck via internet/home-business ASAP.

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;3313795]Sell drugs[/QUOTE]

You can 't find them here!

Jets Insider VIP
    [url]www.exclusivetvoffer35.com[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;3313795]Sell drugs[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of the joke....

" Open a whore house, you may need to run it by hand until you get an established following"

Hall Of Fame
    I'll give you two tips regarding this, take it or leave it...

1- start-up: Don't get involved with anyone who makes you pay them to buy into "your own business". Don't pay anyone who won't show you your 'wholesale' pricing up front, won't show you their tax returns, or want's you to support an "up-line".

2- sliding compensation scale: Don't involve yourself with any company that requires you to 'work your way up to' actual compensation. If widget-A is good enough to give Mr. Bigbucks a 15% profit when one sells, it should give the same profit to you (or any other newbie). A company that does this is often referred to as an MLM (multi-level-marketing) and is essentially a ponzi scheme.

***one more thing: companies that employ this marketing tactic are exploiting your inter-personal relationships to sell their (often inferior) products. Don't destroy relationships you have built over a lifetime by alienating friends and family with constant sales-pitches. You'll regret it.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=freestater;3314076]I'll give you two tips regarding this, take it or leave it...

1- start-up: Don't get involved with anyone who makes you pay them to buy into "your own business". Don't pay anyone who won't show you your 'wholesale' pricing up front, won't show you their tax returns, or want's you to support an "up-line".

2- sliding compensation scale: Don't involve yourself with any company that requires you to 'work your way up to' actual compensation. If widget-A is good enough to give Mr. Bigbucks a 15% profit when one sells, it should give the same profit to you (or any other newbie). A company that does this is often referred to as an MLM (multi-level-marketing) and is essentially a ponzi scheme.

***one more thing: companies that employ this marketing tactic are exploiting your inter-personal relationships to sell their (often inferior) products. Don't destroy relationships you have built over a lifetime by alienating friends and family with constant sales-pitches. You'll regret it.[/QUOTE]

I would say that is excellent advice. Problem is.... that eliminates 99 percent of all network marketers.:rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3314079]I would say that is excellent advice. Problem is.... that eliminates 99 percent of all network marketers.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Funny... that's just about the failure rate of network marketers.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=freestater;3314084]Funny... that's just about the failure rate of network marketers.[/QUOTE]

I bet it's higher!

BTW, why are you not a BILLS fan?

All my college buddies up in Rochester are Bills fans.

I get up there now and then (almost moved there). Like the place.

Are you familiar with the old "Montana Mills" bread company?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3314087]I bet it's higher!

BTW, why are you not a BILLS fan?

All my college buddies up in Rochester are Bills fans.[/quote]

I'm a Jets fan [U]because[/U] all my buddies are Bills fans. ;)

[quote]I get up there now and then (almost moved there). Like the place.

Are you familiar with the old "Montana Mills" bread company?[/QUOTE]

Heard the name before, can't say I've ever been to one.

Rochester is nice. Beautiful countryside, especially now, with the leaves all changing. Got to be able to bear some snow if your going to live up here. :)

Hall Of Fame
    One more bit of advice, Airborne:

You want to make a few extra bucks on the quick? Find yourself a good contact at a bargain outlet joint. You know, a manager type or something. Take a good look through their store and try to spot an easily sold item available as minimal cost. (getting towards winter, around here (Rochester) I'd suggest maybe gloves or something- think of a product that has a low per-count cost, and go from there) Then go find yourself a well-attended public market (or farmer's market) and rent a booth-space. Set up a table and sell you little heart out.

[QUOTE=freestater;3314076]I'll give you two tips regarding this, take it or leave it...

2- sliding compensation scale: Don't involve yourself with any company that requires you to 'work your way up to' actual compensation. If widget-A is good enough to give Mr. Bigbucks a 15% profit when one sells, it should give the same profit to you (or any other newbie). [B]A company that does this is often referred to as an MLM (multi-level-marketing) and is essentially a ponzi scheme. [/B]

***one more thing: companies that employ this marketing tactic are exploiting your inter-personal relationships to sell their (often inferior) products. Don't destroy relationships you have built over a lifetime by alienating friends and family with constant sales-pitches. You'll regret it.[/QUOTE]

Please provide us with your definition of "ponzi scheme" and why you believe MLM companies are ponzi schemes.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Maury77;3314097]Please provide us with your definition of "ponzi scheme" and why you believe MLM companies are ponzi schemes.[/QUOTE]

No. Look the **** up yourself. You obviously have a computer. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=82nd Airborne;3313780]I have two jobs & retirement check and can barely survive. Unique circumstances and self-destructive decisions brought me to my current situation, but I am a fighter not ready to give up (are there any other choices).

My close friend has been in this line of business for the last 11 years but finally has found a network that will help him grow. Network marketing is not my background, but I am willing to learn; however, I need money quicker than a long-term solution.

Is anybody here into this kind of business? I would prefer a quick buck via internet/home-business ASAP.[/QUOTE]

Let me give you my background before I give you my advice. I am an attorney who runs my own law practice and I recently united with three other attorneys to grow the size of my firm. Despite the economic downturn and my relative lack of experience (I was not licensed until 2006), I have done reasonably well.

I recently became involved in MLM with a company. This was my second foray into MLM, so I researched the company and their product for a couple of months prior to beginning my business.

Make no mistake about it, getting started with MLM is the same as getting started in any other business. It takes time and effort to begin to see a return on your investment. It is also not for everybody because you will be pitching to your friends & family. I do not know the company you are contemplating working with, but I can assure you that I am not involved in a ponzi scheme or a pyramid.

[B]Bottom line[/B], I do not know if it is a good idea for you at this time because it sounds like you may have too much on your plate at this time, and you will most likely have to invest a lot of time before you start seeing money (like many small business owners.) If you need any more advice, please let me know.

[QUOTE=freestater;3314099]No. Look the **** up yourself. You obviously have a computer. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I know what a ponzi scheme is and a pyramid is very well, I am trying to understand why you made your particular statement.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Maury77;3314102]I know what a ponzi scheme is and a pyramid is very well, I am trying to understand why you made your particular statement.[/QUOTE]

MLMs are much like lawyers... 99% of them give the rest of them a bad name.

[QUOTE=freestater;3314103]MLMs are much like lawyers... 99% of them give the rest of them a bad name.[/QUOTE]

Right ... thanks for adding substance to the conversation.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Maury77;3314102]I know what a ponzi scheme is and a pyramid is very well, I am trying to understand why you made your particular statement.[/QUOTE]

Maury

As a CPA, I can tell you. FREE is correct in my view. In fact, any client of mine who gets into a MLM, I usually drop them. They do NOT need a good CPA, they need a tax preparer.

WHY???

Because in my experience, they are not good business people and become difficult to work with. MLM is almost like a religion. You get brain washed.

I have NEVER. NOT ONCE met a MLM who made an economic, opportunity cost, profit. I am sure a few exist.

If you divide the time by the minimal profit you are making so little and it is NOT a real business.

Just my view.

[QUOTE=82nd Airborne;3313780]I have two jobs & retirement check and can barely survive. Unique circumstances and self-destructive decisions brought me to my current situation, but I am a fighter not ready to give up (are there any other choices).

Is anybody here into this kind of business? I would prefer a quick buck via internet/home-business ASAP.[/QUOTE]

I think your best bet is to go speak to a financial advisor.
    [url]http://www.napfa.org/[/url]

This is a link to an association for financial advisors and how to choose one. Hope this helps.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3314108]Maury

As a CPA, I can tell you. FREE is correct in my view. In fact, any client of mine who gets into a MLM, I usually drop them. They do NOT need a good CPA, they need a tax preparer.

WHY???

Because in my experience, they are not good business people and become difficult to work with. MLM is almost like a religion. You get brain washed.

I have NEVER. NOT ONCE met a MLM who made an economic, opportunity cost, profit. I am sure a few exist.

If you divide the time by the minimal profit you are making so little and it is NOT a real business.

Just my view.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.businessknowhow.com/Startup/business-failure.htm[/url]

"The latest statistics from the Small Business Administration (SBA) show that "two-thirds of new employer establishments survive at lease two years, and 44 percent survive at least four years." This is a far cry from the previous long-held belief that 50 percent of businesses fail in the first year and 95 percent fail within five years."

MLM's, like starting restaurants, retail stores, law & medical practices, and other businesses, fail quite frequently. In fact, at MLM, the percentage rate may even be higher than normal. To state that it is not a legitimate business model, however, is being short sighted.

CPA, I understand where you are coming from and I will admit that there is definitely a "drink the kool aid" aspect to the MLM companies that I have seen. It is a difficult business to make money in quickly and I even advised the original poster against it for the reasons he cited interest.

You do admit that there are people that thrive in it and it is a business model that has been in existence for a very long time. If people had not been thriving in it, these companies would not be in existence.

How many MLM clients have you had? I appreciate your input as you are professional.