Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer help-which laptop should I buy

Computer help-which laptop should I buy

My HP laptop just died...my computer guy says I need a new hard drive. It's about 5-6 years old. Rather than put $ into this one, I want something new. Can you guys give me some advice on laptops? Although some people love the Mac...I'm leaning towards the Sony Vaio ($1200-$1500). Reviews seem to be good. It is very light. I don't do any games. It would mostly be used for internet access and report writing. Screen size 13'' up to 15". Windows 7. Costco has Dell on sale $1249.

All League
    Whatever you do, don't buy a Dell unless you want to shell out an extra $100.00 a year (for 3 years) for "North American Based Tech Support" on top of your standard warranty, which will only get you to some guy in India named Habib.

Oh and the next question is after I decide which laptop to get...where do I buy it. amazon.com, newegg.com, Best Buy?

All League
    [QUOTE=CHIROJET-WPB;3323134]Oh and the next question is after I decide which laptop to get...where do I buy it. amazon.com, newegg.com, Best Buy?[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not, check Staples....They have a lot of good deals from time to time....We just bought a laptop for my wife there.

Jets Insider VIP
    queue Mac Nazis in 3...2...1....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I have a SONY VAIO, I think it's great, however my son has a much cheaper DELL and we have had no problems with that as well...I'm sure that doesn't help. :D

Jets Insider VIP
    go to [url]www.dell.com[/url] - do a search on thier site for "refurb" - it will get you to their refurb section - very cheap units with a full 1 year warranty - I've personally have bought 3 refurb units with no problem - mighty cheap prices - but be forewarned - if you see an unit you want be prepared to purchase - I've seen units snapped up while I was looking at them.

if money is no object buy the mac

if money is an object, fix your laptop. A laptop Hard drive is 50-150 bucks. far cheaper than a new laptop.

Well...I was hoping for a little more help. Thanks to those who gave me their opinion.

Dell just seems like such a cheap product to me. My Dell that I've used for school has been far from stellar in every category, and I'm literally on my 4th battery which doesn't even work. If I unplug the thing, it turns off instantaneously. We got the $300+ warranty when I bought it, and of course batteries aren't covered so I get to shell out $60 a year for a new battery.

My son is in sixth grade. Each kid in grades 5-8 have their own MacBook to use in school. They are awesome. So much so that we bought my son his own MacBook for his birthday last year. He loves it, and my wife and I think it was worth the extra cost. We also have an iMac at home.

[QUOTE=CHIROJET-WPB;3326406]Well...I was hoping for a little more help. Thanks to those who gave me their opinion.[/QUOTE]

I would go to [url]http://dealnews.com[/url] and register and set up some email alerts for items you are interested in. Any time a deal involving the keywords you entered gets posted to their site they email you the info. If you wait a while eventually there will be a great deal on a computer model you are interested in. Its easier than scanning the web each day looking for low prices and if you wait 1-2 months there will always be a chance to save some money.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Toshiba- I have one and love it....we have two in the house...

big screen, never a problem...the guy who comes to fix my desktop once and a while saw my Toshiba and says he swears by them...I bought a terrific one for my daughter last Christmas- 17" screen, three year warranty which includes her dropping it on the floor, lotsa nice extras for under $1000...

It was reccomended to me by a buddy who travels a lot and uses it all the time- one of the better buys I've made.....check often as sometimes you can get a slightly later model for a great deal....

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3326582]Toshiba- I have one and love it....we have two in the house...

big screen, never a problem...the guy who comes to fix my desktop once and a while saw my Toshiba and says he swears by them...I bought a terrific one for my daughter last Christmas- 17" screen, three year warranty which includes her dropping it on the floor, lotsa nice extras for under $1000...

It was reccomended to me by a buddy who travels a lot and uses it all the time- one of the better buys I've made.....check often as sometimes you can get a slightly later model for a great deal....[/QUOTE]

You rotten capitalist..... you have 2 computers???:steamin:

Next your gonna tell us you have a clothes dryer in the house.

Dell was the worst computer I ever bought.

Mac has been well worth the extra money.

Jets Insider VIP
    Pretty much any laptop you buy at the $1200+ price point is going to be a good one. The notion that Dell or HP still make a dog of a laptop is antiquated thinking. They all make quality stuff at that price. Personally, I think the Sony and Toshiba are a bit overrated. The price stated will get you at least the following:

Quad core CPU
    4 GB of RAM (6 will be better)
    Dedicated graphics
    Large hard drive
    An MS Office suite
    Upgraded screen

Upgrading the hard drive of your old laptop would be an option provided you have a full copy of a Windows operating system. Unfortunately, I'm willing to bet all you have is a "restore disc". Now, you could spend the $60 or so dollars for a new hard drive along with another $120 for an OEM copy of Windows 7, but that would all hinge on the current specs of your current laptop which may or may not be up to the challenge of running the new OS smoothly.

Hope this helps and good luck!

[QUOTE=Jetworks;3326629]The notion that Dell...still make a dog of a laptop is antiquated thinking.[/QUOTE]

Not in my experience.

Veteran
    mac.

so worth the little extra cash.

go with a Mac...it's not even close

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3326605]You rotten capitalist..... you have 2 computers???:steamin:

Next your gonna tell us you have a clothes dryer in the house.[/QUOTE]

actually 2x2 for the computers- must due my part for global warming :D

btw- find a new college team; O'Brien was awful at BC and awful x2 at NCSU....