Thread: Snow question...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Snow question...

And no, Plummer this isnt a query on how to score an 8-ball:D

Last night was the second snowfall here in Denver. (sorry al gore, go invent something else) Question is, my concrete walks/driveway is 3 1/2 years old, would it be safe to put down ice/snowmelt before a storm to prevent accumulation?

[QUOTE=BURGERMIKE;3324217]And no, Plummer this isnt a query on how to score an 8-ball:D

Last night was the second snowfall here in Denver. (sorry al gore, go invent something else) Question is, my concrete walks/driveway is 3 1/2 years old, would it be safe to put down ice/snowmelt before a storm to prevent accumulation?[/QUOTE]

You live in Denver. We should be asking you how to handle snowfall!

and i have no friggin idea.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=BURGERMIKE;3324217]And no, Plummer this isnt a query on how to score an 8-ball:D

Last night was the second snowfall here in Denver. (sorry al gore, go invent something else) Question is, my concrete walks/driveway is 3 1/2 years old, would it be safe to put down ice/snowmelt before a storm to prevent accumulation?[/QUOTE]

I don't know but I'm guessing no. I can see you melting the first snow that falls and forming a sheet of ice at the bottom. That's just a guess. I'd feel pretty confident about that guess if you had a substantial snowfall and the salt at some point doesn't have contact with the snow at the top of the drift. You'd have ice at bottom and snow at top

All snow melt products are murder on concrete, especially mortar on steps. That said, sometimes you just have to put it down to prevent refreezing and slipping/falling. Look for the least corrosive product. BTW, I usually spend a little extra time getting down to the pavement--shovel, then broom--which prevents refreeze.

I destroyed a front staircase in front of my porch a few years ago-I found this info at a landscaping website.

[I]Avoid using rock salt on your new or existing concrete to remove ice & snow. The elements, and some of the chemical agents added to roadway and watersoftner salt products, can deteriorate both new and old concrete. Salt will likely cause chipping, flaking, pitting, and even discoloration. Although products containing Calcium/Magnesium/Potassium Chloride are considered safer, they can also damage new & existing concrete surfaces. Salt and these other snow & ice removal products are particularly damaging on newly poured & porous concrete. Do NOT use rock salt no matter how tempting, in order to save money.

Using rock salt will increase the degration of the concrete and the need to patch and/or replace it sooner than needed.

Limit the use of salt substitutes such as those containing Calcium, Magnesium, or Potassium Chloride whenever possible, especially on newly poured and porous concrete. Remove compacted snow, ice, and snow left after using plowing or blowing equipment, by scraping and shoveling the snow or ice off of the concrete surface. This will reduce the need and cost of snow and ice removal products. It will also extend the life of the concrete, including retaining walls. [/I]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Good stuff Guys, Guess I just trying to avoid the shovel. Id do anything for her, just trying to avoid going over to Moms and clearing the walkways and drive.
    Last edited by BURGERMIKE; 10-22-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®

In Virginia Beach, they don't use salt, they use, yeah you guessed it, sand. We have lots of it.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3324264]In Virginia Beach, they don't use salt, they use, yeah you guessed it, sand. We have lots of it.[/QUOTE]

In your vag

nah, not in the mood:D

[QUOTE=BURGERMIKE;3324261]Good stuff Guys, Guess I just trying to avoid the shovel. Id do anything for her, just trying to avoid going over to Moms and clearing the walkways and drive.[/QUOTE]lazy bastid....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=2foolish197;3324272]lazy bastid....[/QUOTE]
    You outted me...F-YOU!

Thanx, im putting on my goolashes as we speak.

:D

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3324270]In your vag

nah, not in the mood:D[/QUOTE]

Ya better get in the kitchen, Jetgirl is callin' ya!

Here, you'll need this....

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3431/3736357786_de7b2d90de.jpg[/IMG]

All League
    [QUOTE=Foley11;3324256]I destroyed a front staircase in front of my porch a few years ago-I found this info at a landscaping website.

[I]Avoid using rock salt on your new or existing concrete to remove ice & snow. The elements, and some of the chemical agents added to roadway and watersoftner salt products, can deteriorate both new and old concrete. Salt will likely cause chipping, flaking, pitting, and even discoloration. Although products containing Calcium/Magnesium/Potassium Chloride are considered safer, they can also damage new & existing concrete surfaces. Salt and these other snow & ice removal products are particularly damaging on newly poured & porous concrete. Do NOT use rock salt no matter how tempting, in order to save money.

Using rock salt will increase the degration of the concrete and the need to patch and/or replace it sooner than needed.

Limit the use of salt substitutes such as those containing Calcium, Magnesium, or Potassium Chloride whenever possible, especially on newly poured and porous concrete. Remove compacted snow, ice, and snow left after using plowing or blowing equipment, by scraping and shoveling the snow or ice off of the concrete surface. This will reduce the need and cost of snow and ice removal products. It will also extend the life of the concrete, including retaining walls. [/I][/QUOTE]

Pretty much nailed it right there.

Chloride ions are hell on concrete.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3324302]Ya better get in the kitchen, Jetgirl is callin' ya!

Here, you'll need this....

[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3431/3736357786_de7b2d90de.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

:yes:

Although I've never used the stuff, I would often see a liquid pre-treat in catalogs. The concept is to spray it on pavement before it snows and it will, supposedly, prevent a couple of inches of snow from accumulating. (Awesome for you if your Mom's walkway isn't too long.) This is not the product I have seen in the past, but it will give you a starting point. Just check on the corrosiveness.

[url]http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100498362&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100498362&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D28X-_-100498362[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;3324325]Although I've never used the stuff, I would often see a liquid pre-treat in catalogs. The concept is to spray it on pavement before it snows and it will, supposedly, prevent a couple of inches of snow from accumulating. (Awesome for you if your Mom's walkway isn't too long.) This is not the product I have seen in the past, but it will give you a starting point. Just check on the corrosiveness.

[url]http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100498362&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100498362&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D28X-_-100498362[/url][/QUOTE]
    $39.95 Mommy aint worth that coin.(Hope she dont know my user name and password,SSSHHHH)

:D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Big L;3324316]Pretty much nailed it right there.

Chloride ions are hell on concrete.[/QUOTE]

And I thought Batman was the scientist